Mazda 6 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Is there a way for the oil pressure to be integrated to ScanGauge2?
No, internally there is a pressure based switch that will turn on the oil light, but it is not a pressure sensor. That's why I installed the oil pressure gauge...
I've been impressed with how much oil pressure this engine maintains, even at idle cold start it goes right to 20+ psi, and when applying throttle it goes up to 70 psi (seems to be more a function of throttle position than RPMs)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure about the gear alone holding me on a hill (it'd have to be first gear or reverse gear... not any other gears) but that's precisely why (at least when possible) you turn your wheels into or away from the curb.
Maybe has to do with the engine itself or, well I’m not really sure. Only reason I mentioned it is because the old manuals from 1996 or so could hold the vehicle in place while in gear but doesn’t seem that way today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Maybe has to do with the engine itself or, well I’m not really sure. Only reason I mentioned it is because the old manuals from 1996 or so could hold the vehicle in place while in gear but doesn’t seem that way today.

First gear takes the most amount of momentum to over come the engines compression to allow the car to move. However, some manufacturers want you to use reverse due to the strain on the actual gear.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 · (Edited)
Since supercharger install I have put on about 600 miles and two interesting observations related to oil:
1. Oil does not smell like gas anymore, and level has not changed at all, so no leaks

(fuel dilution has always been a problem with this motor. Had changed oil 1000 miles prior to supercharger install and the oil already smelled like gas, but that is gone now 🤔)
(also worth noting this last oil change I Went from 0w20 Valvoline to 5w30 Royal purple, after realizing that's the weight they run in Japan. Not sure what role that plays, but some claim it reduces blow by)

2. Oil catch can already has notable liquid, probably 1-2 tablespoons, not thick but watery, and it stank like gas in a strange way, even though it is black

It is also probable that the OVTune I had been running was very rich to get max power from what limited air is there, whereas the VTRACING SC tune feels more safe and reasonable (as evidenced by mpg matching tuned NA). And this could account for less fuel dilution in the first place.

Furthermore, the fact it went from oil smelling like gas to later stop smelling like gas, indicates that the oil is getting hotter than it ever did before, which is actually a benefit in this case, because you need the oil to get over 200f to really burn off any lighter compounds that form in the oil. The oil can handle the heat no problem, remember oil doesn't start getting damaged by heat until over 250f, the actual problem is the Skyactiv motors don't get the oil hot enough...

Attachments

Reactions: Trollz3457

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I Went from 0w20 Valvoline to 5w30 Royal purple
This reminds of "get in line", it seems like he never made it back after "moisturization".
😀

Oil catch can already has notable liquid, probably 1-2 tablespoons, not thick but watery, and it stank like gas in a strange way, even though it is black
Do you have a link for this oil catch can. Sorry if you already posted it.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
This reminds of "get in line", it seems like he never made it back after "moisturization".
😀
Oh man, that guy LOL, he said some crazy stuff...
I don't really think it matters that much, but wasn't liking how thin my oil seemed by the time I changed it, so that's part of why I switched to the 5w30. Obviously now that I have forced induction 5w30 makes even more sense.

Do you have a link for this oil catch can. Sorry if you already posted it.
Baffled Oil Catch Can- https://amzn.to/3h1vCoa

I linked to it in the edited OP as well. It's a generic one. It has proper screen and baffle, with huge 9oz capacity to assure me I can go a whole oil change without having to worry at all.
(Oh crap, apparently it is currently unavailable, but you get the idea, and perhaps it'll come back)

·
Registered
89 Posts
What’s the difference or pros for that can compared to CorkSports catch can??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Since supercharger install I have put on about 600 miles and two interesting observations related to oil:
1. Oil does not smell like gas anymore, and level has not changed at all, so no leaks

(fuel dilution has always been a problem with this motor. Had changed oil 1000 miles prior to supercharger install and the oil already smelled like gas, but that is gone now 🤔)
(also worth noting this last oil change I Went from 0w20 Valvoline to 5w30 Royal purple, after realizing that's the weight they run in Japan. Not sure what role that plays, but some claim it reduces blow by)

2. Oil catch can already has notable liquid, probably 1-2 tablespoons, not thick but watery, and it stank like gas in a strange way, even though it is black

It is also probable that the OVTune I had been running was very rich to get max power from what limited air is there, whereas the VTRACING SC tune feels more safe and reasonable (as evidenced by mpg matching tuned NA). And this could account for less fuel dilution in the first place.

Furthermore, the fact it went from oil smelling like gas to later stop smelling like gas, indicates that the oil is getting hotter than it ever did before, which is actually a benefit in this case, because you need the oil to get over 200f to really burn off any lighter compounds that form in the oil. The oil can handle the heat no problem, remember oil doesn't start getting damaged by heat until over 250f, the actual problem is the Skyactiv motors don't get the oil hot enough...
I'm also wondering if the supercharger is attributing to the amount of blow-by in the catch can it's sucking in more air so I could see how it's possible unless you're venting to air. Does anyone else here have a catch can installed on their car?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Its about 1/10th the cost? Its baffled and bronze filtered and has a drain hole/plug.

This is the thing i hate about CS...They created fanbois that think their shit is anything other than rebranded part that they buy, markup and slap a sticker on. This then made them a "household name" amongst unknowing car owners who never questioned the "god like status" of people who could afford their parts as" status equates to money spent" in the eyes of many car guys/gals who dont know any better.

Other than that? Ive never been one to spend money for someone elses stuff when i can usually find a cheaper and functional alternative. Partly cause i didnt have a lot of money growing up and my dad taught me to be self sufficient as much as possible :)

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
It's really just a function of cost. The Corksport and Moshimoto oil catch cans both seem very nice, with potentially more effective turbulence based setups, but they both cost over $200usd.
It's like the "law of diminishing return" - basically the amount of benefit you are getting gets proportionally smaller per dollar you spend (generally)

@TalonTsi90 - linked to the most basic, but still likely 90+% as effective at 10% the price. (note he found a cheap one that still has a fundamentally good design with the mesh and panel, not true of all of them at that price)

I spent about $50, 20% of the cost of the top tier, for a little nicer generic, similar screen as it comes in with baffle for condensation, and huge 9oz capacity (my assumption was that I would have more blow-by because of more combustion pressures from FI...), so I KNOW I don't have to worry about it between oil changes, including when out on the track, sloshing around.

I poured what was in the catch can into a little glass jar, it's less than I originally thought, maybe 1 tablespoon in 700 miles... not sure what it would be from NA

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I know there's a focus on cost, here, and that of course is totally legit. I laud TalonTSI for being resourceful and I know how some of the 'ol man's qualities rub off on his children (I like to think some of that happened with me :) ). But for those who "want" to afford it, why is no one considering the Mann-Hummel Provent 200? VERY good tech, not flashy, and reputedly pretty-well the best... This unit is used a lot for industrial/commercial uses.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
If I may segued further, I saw this one with three ports. Two inlets and one outlet plus, it has a breather and drain valve. Is this good? And the price, it's about 18 dollars only!

I saw the two links and this one is different because it has three ports. Let me know your thoughts about this.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
@TalonTsi90 - linked to the most basic, but still likely 90+% as effective at 10% the price. (note he found a cheap one that still has a fundamentally good design with the mesh and panel, not true of all of them at that price)
I guess i forgot to add that i took it apart as much as possible and its fairly high quality inside. The only real cheap bit is the bracket, but like i said, use a bully bar clamp and youre good to go.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If I may segued further, I saw this one with three ports. Two inlets and one outlet plus, it has a breather and drain valve. Is this good? And the price, it's about 18 dollars only!

I saw the two links and this one is different because it has three ports. Let me know your thoughts about this.
I saw that 1 too, I'm getting the same 1 without the breather. I want to avoid any pressure imbalances that could potential throw a check engine light.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
After having spent so much time focused &researching this engine/transmission, feeling how it responds with the supercharger, I am convinced this engine could take significantly more boost!
I need to make some video of driving around with the boost gauge visible, it's so gentle and seemless I honestly think I'll get 200k miles out of this car, it's at 42k now (we'll see how long the bearings in the supercharger last). Because of the supercharger I'm not revving as high rpm or shifting as much, so that in some way offsets the negative of higher pressures during combustion...
specifically, below 4000 rpm peak boost is 4-5psi (which can hit even at 1400rpm) and up above 5000 rpm it'll hit 6psi with a touch of 7psi up at red-line. So it's really not a lot of boost pressure, but it's FLOWING a lot more air, according to MazdaEdit it went up 42% (150m/s to 216m/s), by mass airflow sensor, at red-line!

Now 'what is the limit' is a question nobody wants to find out for sure, but Corksport assures me they are releasing their turbo kit next month and it will be significantly more power than my supercharger and that it makes it faster than a speed3, so I'm guessing 10-12psi, but until they release details I'm just guessing. I think at that level it's gotta to be shortening the life of the engine and/or transmission.

For reference I thought this page was interesting Mazda 2.5 SkyActiv-G Engine
"All internal components are lighter and stronger now. There is a forged steel crankshaft, forged connecting rods, and aluminum pistons. The friction of the bottom end was reduced by 30 percent."

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Ive been paying attention to my own car since paying OVT. I switched to 93, but still havent had time to do the initial logs and only got my exhaust made this past weekend, so i didnt want to change mid tune.

Now, on or about tank 3 of using 93 up from 87, i got gas in Ohio thinking it was non ethanol and felt a HUGE increase in power and response. Of course the weather was still cool outside, so i wasnt sure if it was that or the possible plain gas. However, im thinking its more the ECU learning the new octane and adjusting to it over time, cause the power bump hasnt gone away, even though im using KY gas which is "E10".

@WoodinvilleDan how did your flag change to CA? Also can you PM me?

181 - 200 of 233 Posts