Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever done a Skyactiv G 2.5L Naturally Aspirated to Turbo Conversion? I've seen so many people make videos about the ridiculously expensive supercharger from VT Racing but haven't seen anyone use a turbo from something like the 2018 Turbo model and retrofit it to a different car. From what I've seen the engine head and everything is identical except for the turbo/intake/other turbo related parts and coolers. It's making me doubt myself if it's even possible. Am I just not good at reading and finding someone else who did it, and any experts here to assist if I was the first to try, especially with the ECU/Electonic part of things? This engine is built really well and I believe it definitely deserves a turbo to show what it can actually do.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Your search skills suck then, cause Corksport (no, i do NOT recommend them) released their package. But since they do NOT give any details on the tuning aspect of it, i will remain HIGHLY doubtful of it, period.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The cylinder head is different on the turbo by Mazda. Quite a lot of engineering apparently went into that (Mazda) conversion, resulting in what appears to be a pretty-reasonably durable turbo engine which was tailored to a heavier car, and which focuses on bottom-end and midrange power. That also makes it a bit less suitable, by way of drive characteristic, for a manual transmission. The latter somewhat favour mid- to top end oriented engines/turbo's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the compression ratio on the turbo engine is different, which means pistons and/or rods are different. That would NOT be a bolt-up.
Oh, that's really interesting, honestly, I wouldn't mind getting new pistons and rods but it's definitely worth adding to my cost estimate. That's why I came here to ask you guys. :)
As long as the price remains reasonable accounting for the additional fuel economy on highways, that I mainly use to travel to work, it would be worth it. I know the Turbo version has a lower mpg rating but I am confident with a tune I can get a few more mpgs. My main reason for this is the performance gain but the mpg benefit would help with the cost in the long run. Ex. If the project costs $5000, and I save $1000 in fuel over 5 years, then I consider that $4000.

Your search skills suck then, cause Corksport (no, i do NOT recommend them) released their package. But since they do NOT give any details on the tuning aspect of it, i will remain HIGHLY doubtful of it, period.
Can you link it, I couldn't find one, for sale at least?
The cylinder head is different on the turbo by Mazda. Quite a lot of engineering apparently went into that (Mazda) conversion, resulting in what appears to be a pretty-reasonably durable turbo engine which was tailored to a heavier car, and which focuses on bottom-end and midrange power. That also makes it a bit less suitable, by way of drive characteristic, for a manual transmission. The latter somewhat favour mid- to top end oriented engines/turbo's.
I might swap the head too if it requires it, but if it fits on the current head with minimal modification then I might keep the current one. I am guessing the modifications allowed for more performance/durability but I am aiming for economy/performance. I am not keeping the car more than 120k miles, its at 66k currently.

Also as a clear note for everyone, I'm not saying that I'll do it yet, I'm here to get help estimating the cost and work/parts to put in the car. If everything seems okay cost and work wise at the end then I likely will go ahead with the project. My original idea was to modify the intake to have an exhaust attached in series but unfortunately its plastic, which I cannot weld lol. If my current idea proves to be too hard/expensive then I might consider looking into making a steel/aluminum cast of the original intake and modify it with a turbo, that is if I can modify the ECU to go easy with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Meant to say a steel/aluminium cast of the intake. A modified version.
Sports gear Product Automotive tire Motorcycle accessories Material property

Yeah nvm, looking at the intake manifold and considering the value of the whole car it just wouldnt be worth the time to do that lol. if it was originally designed in a way where all the intake pipes meet in one place and are made of steel, like on the older engines, then it would be possible to add a turbo easily. This car would need heavy modification of the exhaust and intake to make this work. A diy supercharger would be best if going for something custom... which makes sense now considering VT Racing made one. So that just leaves the possible 2.5 to 2.5T conversion, or the VT Racing supercharger.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Meant to say a steel/aluminium cast of the intake. A modified version.
View attachment 246258
Yeah nvm, looking at the intake manifold and considering the value of the whole car it just wouldnt be worth the time to do that lol. if it was originally designed in a way where all the intake pipes meet in one place and are made of steel, like on the older engines, then it would be possible to add a turbo easily. This car would need heavy modification of the exhaust and intake to make this work. A diy supercharger would be best if going for something custom... which makes sense now considering VT Racing made one. So that just leaves the possible 2.5 to 2.5T conversion, or the VT Racing supercharger.
Seems to me that once you answer for yourself whether it is ok for you to i) substantially modify the car (thereby lessening its value in the market); ii) substantially add $ to an older car whereby other supporting systems may be "tired"; and iii) add substantial power to a car with, well shall we say "not over-achiever" brakes... then in my mind the VT supercharger is the go-to solution. It's already been pioneered successfully by WoodenvilleDan, no small feat, and was done very well. Dan has the right attitude re not shooting the lights out re power gains... but me thinks it is certainly no slouch in that regard. My comments, above, re braking are of course debatable. It's no German car re rotor size, and it has poor-boy fist calipers. Not untenable, in terms of brakes, but not "shoot out the lights" either.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not necessary at all. The plastic is more than capable.
Maybe, but to me it's too complicated to modify plastic when compared to welding steel and aluminium.
Seems to me that once you answer for yourself whether it is ok for you to i) substantially modify the car (thereby lessening its value in the market); ii) substantially add $ to an older car whereby other supporting systems may be "tired"; and iii) add substantial power to a car with, well shall we say "not over-achiever" brakes... then in my mind the VT supercharger is the go-to solution. It's already been pioneered successfully by WoodenvilleDan, no small feat, and was done very well. Dan has the right attitude re not shooting the lights out re power gains... but me thinks it is certainly no slouch in that regard. My comments, above, re braking are of course debatable. It's no German car re rotor size, and it has poor-boy fist calipers. Not untenable, in terms of brakes, but not "shoot out the lights" either.
I see your point about the brakes, drilled/slotted rotors are required when going up in horsepower. Honestly, I would upgrade to better calipers and rotors, the OEM ones are made by PowerStop. PowerStop has plenty of options that match the threading on the current hub. I love their truck brakes, they are huge, so putting them on a smaller car is a great option for getting big calipers on the budget.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Maybe, but to me it's too complicated to modify plastic when compared to welding steel and aluminium.
You dont need to modify anything.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't know man, I can't find it on Corksports page but judging on what I've come across and what @TalonTsi90 has stated, i'd be very weary to go with them. The SC isn't all that bad but with all the modifications and work you are going to do might exceed the price of a bolt on SC. Just my change purse but if you do install it, make sure to post it.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
I don't know man, I can't find it on Corksports page
Its literally on the New Products page lol. But still way more expensive than the S/C is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its literally on the New Products page lol. But still way more expensive than the S/C is.
Ahh I was looking under the Mazda 6 section, you meant this.
The same
engine so should work if it fits in the frame. Around 112HP gained, that's pretty sick. If only they sold the custom intake they have and I'd do the rest lol.
Ofcourse I do, otherwise I wont be able to fit the turbo and it'll be more complicated to mount the turbo to the current intake. Plus that plastic wasn't designed for the pressure I will be using so I'd rather have one job than have to do it twice when it breaks. I'm considering finding an engine with a similar intake and modifying it for my turbo. Or maybe a turbo kit for another car with a similar enough intake/exhaust that requires a few hours of modding if there's one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ohhhh wait hold on, I see what you mean.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

I see the approach from corksport and that makes more sense. My head was too far into supras with 800+ HP that I forgot this is an option to just push the air from the inlet valve. 7-12psi should be fine. I was thinking of designs for 25+psi which is unrealistic for this engine if I want to drive it longer than a drag race.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ohhhh wait hold on, I see what you mean. View attachment 246271
I see the approach from corksport and that makes more sense. My head was too far into supras with 800+ HP that I forgot this is an option to just push the air from the inlet valve. 7-12psi should be fine. I was thinking of designs for 25+psi which is unrealistic for this engine if I want to drive it longer than a drag race.

The corksport kit is also for manuals, they didn't wanna mess with the PCM for the automatic lol. That's another thing to consider since mine is the dual clutch.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Ofcourse I do, otherwise I wont be able to fit the turbo and it'll be more complicated to mount the turbo to the current intake.
Not to sound like a dick, but this right here tells me you know nothing about how a turbo engine works. The turbo goes on the EXHAUST side, not the INTAKE side.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Confused... Which dual clutch? What model?
The automatic, it has a dual clutch for "manual" mode.
Not to sound like a dick, but this right here tells me you know nothing about how a turbo engine works. The turbo goes on the EXHAUST side, not the INTAKE side.
No worries man I get where you are confused, the turbo uses exhaust power to spin up a turbine that connects to another turbine that forces air in the intake, so you can put it anywhere as long as there is the proper airflow from the exhaust and intake, intakes can usually be easily moved around compared to exhausts which is why turbos are placed on the exhaust side but in certain situations, it can be moved around, and looking at my engine bay it seemed that I'd have to modify both sides to find a place where the turbo can fit. But honestly, it seems like too much trouble compared to a DIY supercharger which is why it seems like I'll ditch the idea and instead have to worry just about finding a suitable supercharger + mounting it.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts