Mazda 6 Forums banner

Skyactiv G 2.5L NA to Forced Induction Discussion

11K views 96 replies 14 participants last post by  Cdn17Sport6MT 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever done a Skyactiv G 2.5L Naturally Aspirated to Turbo Conversion? I've seen so many people make videos about the ridiculously expensive supercharger from VT Racing but haven't seen anyone use a turbo from something like the 2018 Turbo model and retrofit it to a different car. From what I've seen the engine head and everything is identical except for the turbo/intake/other turbo related parts and coolers. It's making me doubt myself if it's even possible. Am I just not good at reading and finding someone else who did it, and any experts here to assist if I was the first to try, especially with the ECU/Electonic part of things? This engine is built really well and I believe it definitely deserves a turbo to show what it can actually do.

#96 ·
The hardest part of boosting the Skyactiv-G engines is getting out tuned and understanding that this is an unusual engine...

To be honest I think it is foolish to try to DIY a boost kit, even though I considered that when there weren't any options, now that they're ARE options that is the smart move.
It may seem like it'll save money to cobble together your own setup, but in the end it'll likely cost more, and have lesser results or end up blowing the engine or trans when you do try to get more power...
FWIW

#97 ·
The hardest part of boosting the Skyactiv-G engines is getting out tuned and understanding that this is an unusual engine...

To be honest I think it is foolish to try to DIY a boost kit, even though I considered that when there weren't any options, now that they're ARE options that is the smart move.
It may seem like it'll save money to cobble together your own setup, but in the end it'll likely cost more, and have lesser results or end up blowing the engine or trans when you do try to get more power...
FWIW
That's my sentiment too. My opinion, my sole opinion fwiw, is that 'lotsa folks are wannabe automotive engineers. First up, it's hard work to fabricate all and have it fit and have a design that is reliable. Second off, this world is full of compromises. Most car company engineers refine their designs and end up with a carefully-hewn set of compromises that are most often true to the basic concept and target audience of the car. It is very hard for an individual who is not practiced in examining and trying out the various ways of achieving that fine balance to do this from scratch. Not impossible, but pretty improbable. The beta-testers have had their go at this VT design. It seems to be robust enough. I like it... No, I am not a shill for VT. What I am for, is easy, bolt on, already-tested solutions...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.