Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a brand new 2018 Touring model, when I scroll down my audio sources I see XM, but it is greyed out and unselectable. Am I lacking the hardware for this? Or is this something that can be added onto? I’m a little shocked this is not a standard feature. I see the CarPlay is upcoming, but would really like to continue using Sirius without having to utilize my phone. Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is no way to add factory XM radio to your car. The only way to get it with the car is to buy a Grand Touring or higher line. You can still add it through an aftermarket provider, or you can put it on your phone and stream it through Bluetooth.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You have a few options, If you currently have XM, you can add it to your phone for an additional fee and stream it with your bluetooth or you can purchase a kit like I did (SiriusXM-SSV7V1 Stratus 7 Satellite Radio with Vehicle Kit and the home kit, comes with remote). I also added a Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered SUB, replace the dash tweeters with Polk Audio DB351s, replaced the rear speakers with Polk Audio DXI 651s, added an Aukey 3.0 duel port charger for our phones, A119 dash cam with 128 card and so on!

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, Johnson Controls was really so lazy they couldn't even remove the silly HMI option if the tuner HW doesn't exist? Guess that explains why traffic info still shows up in the Navi HMI despite the service stopped in 2016. I wish I knew some of the people involved with the project. That had to be nightmare for Mazda.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that is disappointing lol. Okay so here are my questions,

1. Money is no object, skys the limit scenario, CAN the tuner hardware from the GT be installed and made functional in the Touring? I really just want to keep the car as sleek and simple as I can, without a bunch of aftermarket stuff all over the place.

You have a few options, If you currently have XM, you can add it to your phone for an additional fee and stream it with your bluetooth or you can purchase a kit like I did (SiriusXM-SSV7V1 Stratus 7 Satellite Radio with Vehicle Kit and the home kit, comes with remote). I also added a Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered SUB, replace the dash tweeters with Polk Audio DB351s, replaced the rear speakers with Polk Audio DXI 651s, added an Aukey 3.0 duel port charger for our phones, A119 dash cam with 128 card and so on!

That does not look overly bad at all. What are the chances the factory radio already has RCA's for that powered sub? lol. Is installation fairly easy? I am actually pretty savvy with these, its justt getting to the radio part I am worried about. Maybe shoot me a Pm if you dont mind, Id love to hear how that went. THanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dave, why can’t we just buy the xmradio antennae and plug it into the head u it etc? I just bought two Mazda 6s this week and this was one of my first mods I wanted to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is no way to add factory XM radio to your car. The only way to get it with the car is to buy a Grand Touring or higher line. You can still add it through an aftermarket provider, or you can put it on your phone and stream it
through Bluetooth.
*well it sucks that Mazda would put a radio in such a beautiful car (I just bought a used 2016 Touring and I love it) with a grayed out XM radio icon, WTF....so irritating and disappointing...what is the big deal installing the same radio in Touring models and higher? Or don't show the XM at all...what a tease! Ugh

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well that is disappointing lol. Okay so here are my questions,

1. Money is no object, skys the limit scenario, CAN the tuner hardware from the GT be installed and made functional in the Touring? I really just want to keep the car as sleek and simple as I can, without a bunch of aftermarket stuff all over the place.

2. That does not look overly bad at all. What are the chances the factory radio already has RCA's for that powered sub? lol. Is installation fairly easy? I am actually pretty savvy with these, its just getting to the radio part I am worried about. Maybe shoot me a Pm if you don't mind, Id love to hear how that went. Thanks
Sorry for the delay in answering!

When someone asks “Was it easy”, that’s a relative term based upon experience. All of my installs were relatively easy for me, your experience may vary!

The Stratus 7 receiver was a reasonably plug and play aside from hiding all the wires, the antenna in the rear window channel, under the trunk seal, behind the trunk fascia, fished into the car then under the sill plates, behind the front kick panel, under the dash and then drilling a little hole to squirrel up behind the where I have the Stratus 7 mounted (Whew)! It’s not hard, just time consuming to get it right and the antenna wire is so thin, you could bite it in half, be careful! You also need to plug into the Auxiliary Audio plug and I powered the unit with the optional USB power cable.

Then again if I had to do it again, I would simply stream it from my phone since neither option can be controlled by the Commander Switch. The Bluetooth option works very well, pick your poison.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Did you install the Kenwood KSC SW11 yourself? If so, was it difficult?

I hard-wired the Kenwood KSC SW11 into the each rear door speaker which was a major pain in the ass. Now I believe there is a module that plugs into the harness that contains RCAs. Since I was replacing the rear door speakers, I already had it apart, but it still was a major pain snaking the wires so everything would be hidden. Also note that this “little” powered sub “only” draws 10 amps and doesn’t require a separate direct power cable to the battery. That saves a lot of additional work.

You will need to mount this sub in the passenger compartment, not the trunk, it’s just not powerful enough. Mine is mounted against the back seat kick panel. It’s well hidden and doesn’t impact leg room. Others have mounted the sub under the passenger seat; just watch out for rear seat passengers resting their feet on the sub.

Remember this sub will NOT raddle your window; that’s not what I was looking for. My goal: The small sub combined with the Polk Audio DB351s was to fill in the highs and lows of a mediocre system that just had the MIDs covered. My opinion; these two relatively simple modifications made a significant difference in the quality of the sound from this system, I’m still happy with my upgrades, hope that helps.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts