Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a current sirus subscriber, I would like to have the option to use my service with the stock OEM head unit vs. a plug n play reciever. Looking on the mazda webiste it says all SPEED 6 units are "compatible" with Sirius. Does the optional, $400 add-on include the tuner...or just the activation and 3 mo. subscription. Or is the Tuner already integrated into the OEM headunit?....I can add another reciever/ tuner to my subscription for a minimal amount and dont want to pay extra for a second reciever if its already in the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I know stock there is no sirius tuner so the $400 gets you a Mazda tuner and I beleive it also comes with a trial subscription. Can anyone else confirm this?

I decided to keep my $350-400 and get the Starmate replay...if only it came with red lighting

Edit: SPLLING

·
Registered
940 Posts
I know stock there is no sirius tuner so the $400 gets you a Mazda tuner and I beleive it also comes with a trial subscription. Can anyone else confirm this?

I decided to keep my $350-400 and get the Sportser replay...if only it came with red lighting
[/b]
$400 gets you the add on that plugs into the back of the head unit with a trunk mount antenna. Also you get 6 free months (I upgraded to a year for $50).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$400 gets you the add on that plugs into the back of the head unit with a trunk mount antenna. Also you get 6 free months (I upgraded to a year for $50).
[/b]
Can anyone verify the brand...other than mazda? There are "in car only" tuner out there for sale for prox. $100. I wouldnt mind hooking it up myself at some piont. I cant see spending and additional 300 for the service I already have.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Can anyone verify the brand...other than mazda? There are "in car only" tuner out there for sale for prox. $100. I wouldnt mind hooking it up myself at some piont. I cant see spending and additional 300 for the service I already have.
[/b]
nope - it came from the factory like that. Just a little box that plugs into the head unit.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think it's Panasonic, but I'm not sure. I'll look in my trunk when I go out for Lunch. However, I don't believe that the store bought units will interface with the head unit correctly, if at all. The branded receivers are designed to integrate with that brand's aftermarket head units, not an OEM head unit. I'm certain the plug would be different. That said, you can find the receiver on-line for $300 and they are reasonably easy to install with very detailed instructions. Mine took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to install from the first screw to on-line activation and signal receipt.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
the $400 gets you the Radio from mazda, and 6 month subscription to the service. WELL worth it.
[/b]
if you say so...

Sirius Starmate Replay: $45
Auxmod: $60 (I can also hook up my MP3 player as well)
Random Connectors and wire: $10
6 months of [email protected]$15: $90
Acctivation: $10 (I think...cant remember)
Grand Total: $215

Saves me around 200 bucks and I get an audio jack in as well...the only thing i lose out on is the LED display and I get a whole lot more features out of the Starmate replay.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Well, that's a strong counterpoint. However, I went with the Mazda option simply b/c it's totally integrated (no wires to move around and no items to store) and I can use the steering wheel controls for the stereo.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
[/b]
The unit is made by sanyo (according to the box it came in from the dealer), and it is a small black box which mounts in the trunk, comes with a cable to run to the back of the HU and the antenna. Pretty good instructions as well.
I love the way the factory unit integrates, but honestly the one thing that sucks is it seems to be a choice between sat OR ipod with the HU.

Also I searched in vain, high and low, for the same unit at a store other than the dealer...no luck. But it from Park Mazda onlone for $300

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would recommend the factory unit, it isnt the greatest but its a clean install. If you intend to use it with the factory radio its the best way to go. I dont think the install is all that difficult although I had the dealer install mine, but I was concerned about warantee since they said if I installed it then it wouldnt be covered. Not 100% if thats right but whatever, I just paid them and had it done.

·
Registered
127 Posts
if you say so...

Sirius Starmate Replay: $45
Auxmod: $60 (I can also hook up my MP3 player as well)
Random Connectors and wire: $10
6 months of [email protected]$15: $90
Acctivation: $10 (I think...cant remember)
Grand Total: $215

Saves me around 200 bucks and I get an audio jack in as well...the only thing i lose out on is the LED display and I get a whole lot more features out of the Starmate replay.
[/b]

thats aftermarket I was referring to what the dealership offers as an accessory. Obviously you can go with an aftermarket kit, which would probably be better, but for the clean look i like stock.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
thats aftermarket I was referring to what the dealership offers as an accessory. Obviously you can go with an aftermarket kit, which would probably be better, but for the clean look i like stock.
[/b]
I can respect that. I wanted the same thing...I got all P Oed when i heard the price though...I took it as a matter of princible not to pay that much...even if I had to spend my life savings to get the aftermarket one to work :p

·
Registered
679 Posts
I paid $280. I thought it was a good price. Sanyo makes it. I got 6 months free. I put it on the wife's 5.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think it's Panasonic, but I'm not sure. I'll look in my trunk when I go out for Lunch. However, I don't believe that the store bought units will interface with the head unit correctly, if at all. The branded receivers are designed to integrate with that brand's aftermarket head units, not an OEM head unit. I'm certain the plug would be different. That said, you can find the receiver on-line for $300 and they are reasonably easy to install with very detailed instructions. Mine took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to install from the first screw to on-line activation and signal receipt.
[/b]
Sorry about the misleeding info, it is Sanyo, but you already knew that.

I put the universal systems into my wife's van, my truck, and the focus I had before the Speed 6. All in all, they look cheap and tacked on. The factory unit is worth the extra money for looks and functionality.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I paid $280. I thought it was a good price. Sanyo makes it. I got 6 months free. I put it on the wife's 5.
[/b]
Remember where you got it for $280? Best I've seen so far is $320...

·
Registered
493 Posts
I went with the factory unit because I didn't want an add-on cluttering up the dash, and because nobody breaks into a car that looks stock. Total cost was $340 with 6 months of service.

The drawback is the display. The built in LCD requires you to scroll through the text and advance to the station name, category, artist name and title. Haven't rearended anybody yet while scrolling, but it does take your eyes off the road.

·
Registered
679 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts