Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time by the end of the year, I'm going to be doing some exhaust work with some custom piping...I've searched (as in you can't say "why don't you use the search button...you know who you are!!!) and seen some people swap the twin tips for a single exhaust set up...I assume that the difference in flow is mute, but the real benifits of this might be weight reduction, (just in case, does the twins flow better than the single, cause they only split at the end, what difference does it make) how much weight will I hack off by going with a single exhaust set up, if its not alot, then I won't do it (I dig the psuedo "twin exhaust" look)....

·
Registered
780 Posts
I was lookin into the same thing. I liked the uniqueness and the weight reduction, but I couldn't find any single exhaust catbacks being sold. Wagner sold one, but they have been gone for about a year now, and the only way i know of is to piece together one and DIY or have a muffler shop do it. But doin it yourself looks like an interesting project.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was lookin into the same thing. I liked the uniqueness and the weight reduction, but I couldn't find any single exhaust catbacks being sold. Wagner sold one, but they have been gone for about a year now, and the only way i know of is to piece together one and DIY or have a muffler shop do it. But doin it yourself looks like an interesting project.
[/b]
I'ma gettin' me some custom piping...no screwing up my exhaust for me. :D

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I had a single exhaust on my car and now I'm running the Mazdaspeed exhaust. I could definitely feel the weight gained when I put the Mazdaspeed one one. I'd say it's about 15-20lbs in weight savings.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ you can't go wrong with custom piping! You sparked my interest again in the single exhaust setup, and I spent the past hour looking at mufflers, and I came across the ford fusion exhaust. I don't know why i didnt think of it sooner. They only thing though it's for the i4 http://motors.search.ebay.com/?from=R40&am...+fusion+exhaust

but should mount up ok with a little modification.
[/b]
dude, just get custom piping all the way back and have them weld a muffler of your choice...cheaper than buying some exhaust system...having them hack off the non compatible parts and then weld it all on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you decide to go with the single exhaust, fill in the bumper hole like i did. i have mines coming from the left hole, and i filled in the right one.

here is the thread: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...c=54773&hl=

Doc has it coming out the left as you see in his pictures.

IMO filling in that hole makes the single exhaust make MUCH better sense.
-n1ghtmare
[/b]
I've heard that the weight savings are null...I might as well just stick with the dual exhausts.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
if you decide to go with the single exhaust, fill in the bumper hole like i did. i have mines coming from the left hole, and i filled in the right one.

here is the thread: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...c=54773&hl=

Doc has it coming out the left as you see in his pictures.

IMO filling in that hole makes the single exhaust make MUCH better sense.
-n1ghtmare
[/b]
do you have an estimate of how much it would cost to fill up a hole?

·
Registered
603 Posts
do you have an estimate of how much it would cost to fill up a hole?
[/b]

well mojo, it depends, mines was done for free as a favor....i would think that it would cost somewhere between 300-400 it do....simply because of the blending and everything, and then to repaint the bumper.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've heard that the weight savings are null...I might as well just stick with the dual exhausts.
[/b]
how could that be possible? You're telling me by removing 2 mufflers and 3 feet of pipe you won't lose any weight? ok.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
imho, the single exhaust looks great with the bumper hole filled. It kinda looks weird with the empty hole. Wow, that sounds weird. :D

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
how could that be possible? You're telling me by removing 2 mufflers and 3 feet of pipe you won't lose any weight? ok.
[/b]
you are only removing about 3 feet or so of materail, i think 15-30lbs is about right. if you are worried about that much weight you are in trouble. i think either way works, but it's not to the point where it's going to increase perfomance that much.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
you are only removing about 3 feet or so of materail, i think 15-30lbs is about right. if you are worried about that much weight you are in trouble. i think either way works, but it's not to the point where it's going to increase perfomance that much.
[/b]
hey 15-30lbs here and there...and eventually youll have an engine and chasis. :laugh:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[/b]
I'm trying to quicken the car up a little bit, and I thought that a little less weight makes a difference, the more weight lost, the better (in good reason), are you saying that a reduction by 15 to 30lbs wouldn't make a difference?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I'm trying to quicken the car up a little bit, and I thought that a little less weight makes a difference, the more weight lost, the better (in good reason), are you saying that a reduction by 15 to 30lbs wouldn't make a difference?
[/b]
I think if weight reduction is one of your goals, then this is one good place to take some weight off. There arent really lots of things you can do to significantly reduce weight short of gutting out your interior. 10 lbs here, 30 lbs there, lightweight wheels, etc...should make a difference.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
From personal experience, gutting the rear seats out of the sedan doesn't really save much about 15 total for both halves of the back seat, the bottom cushion really doesn't weight anything at all, my guess maybe 5 lbs tops. The spare tire and jack come in at about 35lbs for both. So from gutting the rear half of the car I think everything measured out to around 50 - 55 lbs. With the RX7 wheels and my single exhaust at the time, the car lost about 100lbs. I didn't notice much when I took everything out though. I did notice a HUGE difference when I put everything back in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts