Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's your thoughts on the Simoniz-ing? It says: "An exclusive paint protection program with TEFLON surface protector that provides warranty coverage where the factory doesn't" Has a 5-year warranty. Said when the car is delivered, the dealer would then strip the wax from it and apply this Simonizing, which "bonds" with the paint to help protect it from tree sap, acid rain, bird doo-doo, etc. Instead of it staining the car if you let it sit too long, it'll just wash right off. Also makes it super-shiny and very "smooth" to the touch - like running your hand across very smooth glass.

Pricetag: $299

Your thoughts? Worth it? Or not?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Simoniz system (paint protection)'

Yes it feels and looks awesome for about 7months LOL...Teflon coating is shit! i had applied to the last car i got and it didnt last...

The dealer where i order my new M6 from doesnt even use teflon anymore

They use a new paint protection now, similar to toughguard which is basically a second clear coat that bonds to the painted surface offers much better protection..

Refer To the aussie section for my info

http://www.mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=2674

·
Registered
922 Posts

Originally posted by Ruefus

Marla - check your hotmail.  I sent an article that can't be linked since it's a subscription service.[/b]
You mean we dont get to read it?:( surely you could type it out for us:D LOL

·
Registered
526 Posts

Originally posted by ozzie

Originally posted by Ruefus

Marla - check your hotmail.  I sent an article that can't be linked since it's a subscription service.[/b]
You mean we dont get to read it?:( surely you could type it out for us:D LOL[/b][/quote]

I know, I know. But for what the sub costs and the fact that it's an auto industry publication, my luck states that the wrong person would see it and I'd be out the money.

One excerpt - "The top coatings on new vehicles in recent years have become more scratch and stain resistant, which should make paint sealants harder to sell.

For example, 90 percent of the vehicles sold today have and acid-resistant clear coat to reduce damage from acid rain, says Bob Matheson, manager of strategic technology for Dupont Peformance Coatings in Troy, Michigan."

Also - " The sealants and accompanying environmental service contracts retail for $350 to $400, and average profit is $200, based on interviews with dealers and vendors."

To me, this adds up to "Don't waste your money." Wash and wax regularly and you're perfectly fine.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reading Topic: Simoniz system (paint protection)

Thanks. Between you guys' input and I've asked a couple of the guys I work with this morning, I called the dealership (my neighbor) and told him to cancel the Simoniz. :)

Oh, and.... I ORDERED MY 6 LAST NIGHT!! :D

·
Registered
683 Posts

Originally posted by mazdamarla

Thanks.   Between you guys' input and I've asked a couple of the guys I work with this morning, I called the dealership (my neighbor) and told him to cancel the Simoniz.  :)  

Oh, and.... I ORDERED MY 6 LAST NIGHT!!  :D [/b]
Ahhhhhh you didnt wait for the hatch!!!?!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

No, I caved, Fuzzbear. :( Just couldn't wait a whole 'nother year from now before they're even available to see on dealer lots.

But I think my car will be very cool anyway! And who knows....maybe down the road a Hatch will still be a possibility. :)

·
Registered
837 Posts

Congrats mar!! Glad you caved in. Can't have anyone else have a hatch if I can't. :) Actually I think I made the right choice with the sedan. I believe the extra bit of noise from a hatch would drive me crazy in the long run.

·
Registered
350 Posts

Originally posted by ozzie

They use a new paint protection now, similar to toughguard which is basically a second clear coat that bonds to the painted surface offers much better protection..[/b]
Toughguard actually is Teflon, so it could work quite well.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Originally posted by wongpres

Ruefus: You have toughguard on your Mazda6 right? How'd it do over the winter?[/b]
Honestly, I wasn't as impressed as I'd hoped. I did everything I was told during application. Even had it in a heated garage during the entire application process.

After a couple weeks, even drying with a chamois, the shine dulled enough to notice. And grime & bugs never just 'fall' off while wiping.

One application of Nu Finish and the smooth feel and monster shine was back. Also - even though I expected it, I have a very hard time not wanting to polish the car. I just feel better about it. Y'know?

·
Registered
205 Posts

Thanks Ruefus for the info. So in your experience the NuFinish smoothness & shine is better and lasts longer than the Toughguard? This is especially useful since NuFinish is on the current car and I was thinking of switching to Toughguard for my new car, guess I'll stick to NuFinish. NuFinish is significantly cheaper too!

·
Registered
526 Posts

Yeah - others have had good results with Toughguard, but it's hard to beat Nu Finish. I don't know that Nu Finish is better, but I've never been disappointed by it - and that stuff lasts a good while.

Perhaps I was remiss in the way I applied Toughguard, but I don't think so. I spoke with Bill Hammond quite a bit. The Nu Finish kicked the shine back up to showroom, and the slick "don't let your towel slide off" smoothness came right back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.