Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
These animations are sometimes misleading. With open front and rear diff, it cannot adjust torque between left and right wheels.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
fusion has a different AWD system than the speed6.

fusion/milan/mkz use a haldex system, and the speed6 system supplier is still unknown.

a few months back a club6er contacted haldex and they stated they do not make our AWD system. there's a post on this floating around.

on that note, has anyone confirmed the supplier of our AWD system?

·
Registered
26 Posts
fusion has a different AWD system than the speed6.

fusion/milan/mkz use a haldex system, and the speed6 system supplier is still unknown.

a few months back a club6er contacted haldex and they stated they do not make our AWD system. there's a post on this floating around.

on that note, has anyone confirmed the supplier of our AWD system?
[/b]
I think Haldex confirmed at the same time that per the MS6 tech highlights diagram, Toyoda makes the electro-mechanically activated version of the system vs. their hydraulically activated system. Still appear to be very similar systems.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think Haldex confirmed at the same time that per the MS6 tech highlights diagram, Toyoda makes the electro-mechanically activated version of the system vs. their hydraulically activated system. Still appear to be very similar systems.
[/b]
very similar awd system with haldex 2 to mention!
as far as i can understand the car in normal conditions behaves like a fwd??that s awesome also!!more fuel economy!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
These animations are sometimes misleading. With open front and rear diff, it cannot adjust torque between left and right wheels.
[/b]
The video I saw also showed 100% of the drive going to rear wheels in turns, essentially changing the car into a RWD during cornering. This seems rather misleading, as I'm not aware of any AWD system that completely disengages the front wheels while turning.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The video I saw also showed 100% of the drive going to rear wheels in turns, essentially changing the car into a RWD during cornering. This seems rather misleading, as I'm not aware of any AWD system that completely disengages the front wheels while turning.
[/b]

definetely agrre with you!
just to say that perhaps some times rarely could be 0-100 but not like the video we saw

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[/b]
I missed that. No way usual haldex type system could do that in turns ... you could get 100% rear on a start with fronts on ice.

The left rear bias at rear I assumed was lsd, and at front mabe brake assist traction.

I think acura has a center clutch system, but with rear wheels driven a few % faster than fronts. also has clutches on front and rear diffs. Can put torque to outside wheels on corners, with rear bias.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
very similar awd system with haldex 2 to mention!
as far as i can understand the car in normal conditions behaves like a fwd??that s awesome also!!more fuel economy!
[/b]
Our car is only fully fwd at very slow speeds, such as if you are tooling around a parking lot. Otherwise there is atleast some power going to the rear wheels. I can't seem to find the thread where this was confirmed, but I remember reading it not too long ago.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Well, thats wierd..

I contacted Haldex and they stated that I could put in my car make and model, and, if it was confirmed that it was a Haldex system, that they would send me a promotional sticker pack..

Well, needless to say, I have an envelope full of really cool Haldex stickers that came in about a week ago, but, I still question the validity of the response...

But...

I was reading some auto industry engineering mags and they pretty much said that all the awd companies borrow and buy technology from each other, and oddly enough there was an article I came across that stated that Bosch sold Zexel Torsen (Quattro and 4motion systems and others) to Toyoda back in 2001 and they referenced it back to the development of the awd systems that Toyoda currently makes.. If that doesn't muddy the water even more.. Ugh..

But, yea, looks like I was totally wrong about Haldex to some degree, but, there is some technology and business connection between Toyoda, BorgWarner, Zexel Torsen, Bosch, Haldex, etc...

But, flatly said it does seem that Toyoda makes the AWD drivetrain.. I guess thats why it doesn't suck quite as bad as Mazda made transmissions and that is a good thing. :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
haldex doesn't list the mazda on their traction site as a car featuring their AWD system.

i seem to recall that toyoda makes our AWD.

here's an article that references the toyoda AWD, i'm pretty sure it's the same system used in the fusion & milian (different from the haldex used by the fivehunderd/freestyle/montego)

here's one other club6 post

EDIT- it's been a slow workday. i've read several articles online regarding ford/mazda AWD systems. according to Ward's, Ford developed the fusion/milian/mkz AWD in house; the article also mentioned mazda engineered it's own system.

i ran across a couple random articles mentioning Toyoda & Dana as suppliers of the subsystems for the in-house produced systems.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yeah, and it gets worse....

Toyoda supplies to Dana....lol...

Anyway, its definitely hard to nail down who does what in this case, the car manufacturers can ask for integration from other awd systems and incorporate some other technologies...

The article I was looking at was about drivetrain customization and how every car manufacturer could customize their drivetrain to their specs. While it might be spec'd by Mazda, I doubt they actually engineered it, it would be stupid really when there is off the shelf modules they can mix and match from nearly any of the big drivetrain manufacturers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts