Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wal-Mart is pretty cheap already, you can get a $5 mail-in rebate in addition to the $36, the rebate form is on SilverStar's website, www.sylvania.com under the automotive lighting section.

I wouldn't recommend SilverStar, they aren't that bright compare to stock, and if you read the comments left by other members, SilverStars burnout a lot.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I burned out at least 6 sets of silverstars in a 8 month span and went and got my money back from O'reileys on them.Save your money and get Hid's.You will be money ahead because the alternatives are eurolite's(out of buisness) or PIAA.I finally got smart and went retro HID,best money i ever spent.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
sylvia silverstars suck. End of story. They work with other cars, but toast out in our cars with a snap of a finger. I put in philips h1 +50 yesterday. THEY LOOK NICEEEE. $35 bucks but only good reviews and everyones so far has not burned out. Ill keep u updated. you can also see my headlights when im all teh way done with the h3's and 194s next week.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, where did you buy the phillips? Can i get them in auto part chain stores? Also what happens if your bulb burns out while you are driving at night? do you guys carry spares? Or do you just use high beam or something? Thanks for the replies so far.

Edit: A few more questions, what do you guys think about Luminics like this one http://www.streetunit.com/product_p/lhw.htm? And how much would a full HID kit and bulbs cost? Thanks

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
luminics....they are about as bad as silverstars in my book,but there have been a few members swear by them......I spent around $400 for my projectors,hid kit and relay harness.got the nissan
headlamp sealer for $20.If you stick with halogens,seriously go with Piaa's or Eurolites if you can find the latter.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
philips +50 are from ebay. They only come from great britain and they came in perfect shape. Bulbs R us. Took 2 weeks to ship but saved me $20 bucks.

& as dumb as this sounds i was ordering shit from autolumination and i figured i would try out the super white h3's that were $9, if they go out so what, couldnt say you didnt try.

Normally $50 but are only $28. They are whiter for sure. And i think they are good for me cause i dont have the money to spend on HID's. Ill post some pics once i get all of my headlight done next week. I only have the h3 & 194 shippping to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Philips-Vision-Plus-50...VQQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
84 Posts
there's also the sylvania xtra-vision in H1... these are really the Euro OSRAM Silverstars repackaged for sale on this side of the Atlantic. it's about $20 for a 2 pack at Kragen/Schucks/Checker, you can try the other stores too. there's no need to mail order these anymore.

the OSRAM Silverstars are equivalent to the +50 style bulbs out there including the philips. it's a clear bulb with a different mixture of gas to get a brighter burn. not superwhite, like the Sylvania Silverstars you're asking about.

as far burn outs, these aren't the same as the Sylvania ones. i've had my set in for well over a year and they're still running. at the end of the day, how long your bulbs last depends on usage and to lesser degrees installation and the manufacture of the bulb.

anyhow, scroll down and look for the OSRAM Silverstar thread and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think silverstars, osram or sylvania, are pretty poor in terms of lifetime (for sylvania) and color (for osram).

Unless you buy a bulb with a lifetime warranty (i.e. PIAA i believe), i would go with the cheapest set you can find. They will inevitably burn out, and sylvania is really expensive.

I bought some NGtech bulbs (which i had never heard of before) from a small auto parts store for $20CAD a pair.. and they've lasted more than a year now and have good color and performance.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
k thanks for the replies, i am seriously considering getting the Xtec HID kit now because the way it sounds i should put the $40 i intended to spend on the silverstars onto the HID. The only thing right now that i might have a problem with is the installation of the HID kit because i recently ordered the door sills and i spent 2 hours looking at the wires and seeing where to start and ended up not installing it. Everyone says its easy to install but i'm thinking, if i can't get the door sills to work, installing HIDs would be harder :( So i'm gonna try again this weekend when i have more time and see how it goes. Btw, i was driving home a few minutes ago and i saw two lexus's and noticed their lights were really white and noticably brighter then everyone else's, are lexus's equipped with HIDs?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
o frick dude, if you have no budget go HID FO SHO!!

if yer on a tight budget like me, then thats all i can afford cause ive gotta spend taht other $250 somewhere else ;)

My total headlight set up ran me $85, in no way am i complaining though. 1/4 of HID and looks verrrry good. Will have pics up next friday. When i get my eyelids.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i sort of have a budget, i kind of want to get either a carputer or a full body kit but those are going to take along time to save for so i am looking for a mod i can save up quickly for. I'm still not 100% sure i want the HID because its kind of a lot of money to spend on lighting in my opinion, with $250 i can get another ipod if i wanted to or save up for my carputer or body kit so still kind of deciding. If i get the HID lights not many people will really notice my car because the only time i use the HID would be at night and people can't see my car then, but if i save for a body kit then it would probably be a little more rewarding.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
im not gonna lie. HID are AWESOME, but unless you realllly want them then buy them. If not spend yer $350 some where else. How bout that fender gap + window tint. THat right there will make yer car look a frick load better.

And even if for now yer undecided still buy your PIAA 1157 which takes out the orange bulb in yer head light and puts in a blue one. It makes appearance look a litte nicer (especaially cause my car is blue). As one of the first mods i would spend my money else where IMHO. once you get the main TO DO mods down, then go for the HID's.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked on ebay and found some PIAAs. Does $60ish sound like a good price? or are there cheaper places? Do PIAAs have life time warranty on their bulbs? I kind of just want to spend a little money right now then save up as much as i can and hopefully get a mac mini and put it in the car or something. I already got my windows tinted but what is the fender gap thing you're talking about? And are blue lights legal to drive with them on?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Bioxide, to answer some of your questions:

1. Yes, Lexus that you saw probably has HID. That's why it looked bright bluish/white color.

2. If you want a true HID look, you'll have to get a HID. If you're replacing bulb only, you are making it a little brighter/whiter but you can still tell that it's not HID.

3. PIAA Extreme White is about $60 a pair. I don't know if they have a warranty on their bulb or not but I've been running PIAA since 2003 and it's still running.

4. If you're replacing the parking light you can use a bluish/whitish bulb but NO true blue bulb or you'll get a ticket.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool, thanks a lot jax6s. This is a really hard decision now becuase those lights on the two lexus's i saw the other day did look pretty darn attractive.... i can understand why you guys would spend $300ish on lights now :( if only i had more money.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Kragen/Pepboys carries your standard Silverstars.. Sometimes they even have coupons/rebates for them.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah I can vouch for Piaa extremewhites too, I've been running them in my fogs next to my HID's and they look really good. I'm also running piaa super whites in my trubute for over 4 years now without them blowing!! And I got a sticker in my packaging stateing D.O.T. approved so it was nice to have if a cop ever asks!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Whats going on everyone! So I am a new Mazda 6 Owner!! I got a 06 Black Hatch back and I love it. I upgraded my headlights to the Nokya H1's but after reading all this I dont know if its a good idea to keep them on. Does anyone have any feedback on the Nokya bulbs? Should I just go PIAA? and as far as the HID's go, any recommendations? does mazda sell them direct? and does anyoneknow the price? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Noyka's are good bulbs but you have to be careful on your purchase and make sure they are the 55w kind on the H1's.they sell a higher wattage that can burn up your wiring.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts