Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about taking the side door protectors strips off the side of my car. I think it will look a lot better. What do you guys think? Also, are the side strips attached by an adhesive or are they screwed into the door?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I removed mine on a cool day with an old plastic card to get the edge up and just slowly pulled it back at a 60-70 degree angle to the car. went way faster than pulling off the badges and I didn't need goo-gone

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
i did mine after letting the sun beam down on my car for an hour... used some fishing line to get it started, then ripped it all right off. didn't really have a need to use goo-gone, but did anyway just to make sure all the residue was completely off!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i needed goo gone for the v6 emblems but everything else came off fine. i think you should do it, it looks so muc nicer. and ya search there is so many topics on this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been wanting to do this mod since I got the car, but like with my pin stripes I am terrified to do it. I have seen plenty of pics of peoples cars with the pin stripes and side guards off and it looks great but for some reason I just haven't had the balls yet.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Well the pinstripes are just stickers, which should come off with absolutely no effort. The door guards, on the other hand, are obviously a lot more "stuck" onto the car than the pinstripes, but they still aren't that hard to get off. I don't know if you have taken off the Mazda6 emblem on the back, but I found that to be much harder than the door guards. And I got that off just fine.

I say take them off, looks a hell of a lot better. I had pinstripes and door guards on when I first got the car and I am very happy I took them off. JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOO-GONE!!

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Hey if you are hesitant in doing it, I wouldn't do it. The reason being, if you dont like how it looks without the stripe, then you'll have to live that decision and second guess pretty much everything you will do.

So I say dont do it if you feel uncomfortable. Otherwise be like us without door guards and park the waaaaaay the hell out there in the parking lots! :p

·
Registered
210 Posts
IMO the door guards are not really noticeable since they're so tiny and body color. For the protection they afford against possible parking lot dings, I say leave them. Nothing is worse than rippled door panels riddled with dents.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I removed my door edge guards today and shortly after decided to remove my side door guards, which I've been adamant against doing because I felt it made the doors look too tall.

It was one of those moments when you've got your Goo-Gone and pulling s**t off when you realize you're finished but still haven't got it out of your system. :laugh: Edge guards took all of 10 minutes.

I stood back to take in my work, and immediately I noticed the car looked longer! It had the opposite effect of what I was expecting. By removing the door guards the car grew 6" on each end! :laugh: (The remaining pinstripes may contribute to this effect.)
The new look definitely begs for the car to be dropped. It looks high and long instead of low-slung.

Overall, I'd give it a positive change - so far. I'll have a better look at it with my walk to it after work tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I was VERY sceptical when I did this.....but damn my wagon looks hotter everyday. This was one of the best things I have done to my 6 yet. All body-styles of 6 look so much better with this. If you are on the fence, DO IT NOW.

Park far away from other cars.

·
Registered
364 Posts
BTW Those door guards ain't guarding nuthin' anyways.

-Bad Grammar Raynman
[/b]
My biggest influence was seeing cars off the dealer lots without door guards (Pontiac, Acura, Lexus, etc.) which gave me a visual clue of what the 6 would look like. Pictures posted here just didn't do it for me.
That and I still had the bug after the CPE install. If I'm not careful, I'm going to be buying lower springs next. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts