Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got 300 miles on my new ms6

how would i know if i need the reflash

haven't been beating on it yet still breaking it in.

what would i look for if flash is needed?

·
Registered
566 Posts
got 300 miles on my new ms6

how would i know if i need the reflash

haven't been beating on it yet still breaking it in.

what would i look for if flash is needed?
[/b]
Welcome! Please try the search feature in the menu at the top of the page, you'll find many threads about this. To summarize, check for the date your car was built. Check for a sticker indicating a reflash. Or ask the dealer about it when you get your oil changed at 500-1000 mi (you will get it changed then, right?). As to whether it's a good idea, many people like it, others don't...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You probably had it done before it was bought, if the dealer was on its game.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hopefully the dealer hasn't done it yet. If he has, you might have a car that doesn't perform well anymore. There are plenty of posts on the subject.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yeah, but there are plenty of reflashed cars that still perform perfectly with no issues.

·
Registered
413 Posts
And there are plenty that do not. If his car is not having powerloss issues, he may not want to take the risk of the reflash ruining his car's performance or as the Mazda-apologists like to call it: "smoother power delivery". . .lol . .

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well then how does your opinion matter?
[/b]
Most people would find this to be very basic but I'll take the time to explain it for you. My good deed of the day, if you will.

If you follow that line of reasoning, nobody would be able to warn anybody about anything unless they directly experienced it themselves. If nobody had warned me about the possible negative affects of the reflash, I would have probably got it done.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Keep it up Scott.

Pretty soon the only people who would even take your posts seriously are the ones who haven't been on here long enough.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Keep it up Scott.

Pretty soon the only people who would even take your posts seriously are the ones who haven't been on here long enough.
[/b]
That's your response? Are you kidding me? I answered the original poster's question, you follow up with obvious questions for me, I answer them for you, and then you say that people aren't going to take me seriously?

Take a look back at your posts in this thread and see if you added any value. Never mind, don't bother. You didn't. If anyone is not going to be taken seriously, it is you.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I had my 1st oil change done on Monday, there was another update and they reflashed my ECU. This fixed my gargling/raspy sound I had in my exhaust (so far). I havent seen any performance loss as I can tell.

Since the 2007 has lost 4 hp since the 2006 model, Im assming that was because of an ECU reflash done on the newest models. I only hope that I haven't lost any HP with my reflash. Being only 4hp, and only had the car for 3K miles, I didnt notice any difference.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had my 1st oil change done on Monday, there was another update and they reflashed my ECU. This fixed my gargling/raspy sound I had in my exhaust (so far). I havent seen any performance loss as I can tell.

Since the 2007 has lost 4 hp since the 2006 model, Im assming that was because of an ECU reflash done on the newest models. I only hope that I haven't lost any HP with my reflash. Being only 4hp, and only had the car for 3K miles, I didnt notice any difference.
[/b]
The new HP rating for the cars is not because of the reflash. The new SAE standard that went into effect has HP ratings coming out lower than the last model year for almost all cars on the market. Most cars are seeing ~5 to 10hp loss from last year literature.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Most people would find this to be very basic but I'll take the time to explain it for you. My good deed of the day, if you will.

If you follow that line of reasoning, nobody would be able to warn anybody about anything unless they directly experienced it themselves. If nobody had warned me about the possible negative affects of the reflash, I would have probably got it done.
[/b]
To what, your tricycle? We still don't know what you drive . . .

Lately, the posts on the reflash have been largely positive. I refrain from saying "overwhelmingly positive" because it carries an emotional note.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Posts like the ones from Scott here are what made me put off getting the reflash and suffering weeks of powerloss.

In my case the reflash COMPLETELY solved the problem and didn't "rob" me of a single hp.

My only regret is that I hadn't done it sooner.

·
Registered
826 Posts
My question to you Scott, is why would Mazda release this reflash if it at all affected the MS6's hp?

Plain and simple.

Why?

·
Registered
305 Posts
My question to you Scott, is why would Mazda release this reflash if it at all affected the MS6's hp?

Plain and simple.

Why?
[/b]
That question has been asked and answered a number of times - do a little searching on this topic and you'll find dozens of posts.
In the opinion of some, mazda released this flash to smooth out the power delivery (and possibly address the powerloss issues - will we ever really know???). That rush you are / were getting at low end (2500 to 3K RPM) may have been a concern of Mazda's, especially with the issues with breaking axles. The low end torque was almost reckless in nature and may have been adding a lot of stress to the drive train.
There is no real proof on this subject - all I know is my dealer did not do the reflash at my request - he understood the fact that the flash was pulling timing and I didn't want to lose any of the low end power that drew me to this car in teh 1st place. He was also unable to get to the bottom of the real reason for the flash - he simply asked me if i was experiencing power loss (which I ws not) and then agreed that I shouldn't do it. What's interesting is that he tried to get some more definitive answers on the reflash out of Mazda corp and was unsuccessful - he was asking them the same questions I was asking him.
Again, all of this has been kicked around endlessly and the end result is do what ever you want. But don't assume you can take any of this feedback to the bank. The one thing that is consistant in the feedback of the "flash vs no flash" debate is that there is no consistancy in the feedback. Some like it and some don't - and just because the "recent" posts may be in favor.... so what.

·
Registered
305 Posts
So we're now reduced to kicking theories around?
[/b]
I don't know if I'm reduced in any way, but yes, there are some theories being kicked about :D

And I'm not apposed to hearing the facts if someone wants to post them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts