Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm heading out tomorrow to look at a 2003 Mazda 6 5-Speed with 160k miles on it. Private party for $1200 OBO. The current owner said he had a shop put a new clutch in, has typical NY rust, but everything else is fine with it and it has a 2022 inspection. I know the normal things to keep an eye out for when checking out a used vehicle, but is there anything specific with this model that I should know about?

I appreciate any info!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4 or 6 cyl? I suppose neither has "normal items" you look out for since its a pretty solid car, but some of us have had specific issues over the ownership of our cars that are unique to the motor thats in it.
Hey! Thanks for the reply. So, it's a 6 cylinder 5 speed manual, won't know much more until I look at it unfortunately.

·
Registered
786 Posts
It sounds like you could get it for under $1k, which would be very tempting. Try to find out if it's consuming oil and how much, and also take it for a strenuous test drive. If it uses a lot of oil, or stumbles or misfires at all on the test drive, or has starting issues, I would run away, not walk.

Reactions: Tyler.L1228

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
It sounds like you could get it for under $1k, which would be very tempting. Try to find out if it's consuming oil and how much, and also take it for a strenuous test drive. If it uses a lot of oil, or stumbles or misfires at all on the test drive, or has starting issues, I would run away, not walk.
Make sure you do a cold start. If its running when you get there, that may be an indication of an issue they are trying to hide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Noted! Thank you very much! ^_^ I was going to offer $1000 cash, finding cars that aren't literally falling apart is hard around this area of NY lol..
Make sure you do a cold start. If its running when you get there, that may be an indication of an issue they are trying to hide.
Alright! Thank you again for the tips ☺ I really do appreciate the help here

·
Registered
786 Posts
Right. If they don't let you start it, I'd walk away. Starting issues can be a lot of things, but if it's the timing, a free car isn't worth it.

Reactions: Tyler.L1228

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Here are the pictures from the listing. I was going to offer $900-$1000 depending on the frame and how it runs. Only light on is the brake light but I'll bring my code scanner, usually picks up previous codes too. (Sorry if pictures aren't allowed).

·
Registered
2005 Mazda 6s
15 Posts
Hi, I'm heading out tomorrow to look at a 2003 Mazda 6 5-Speed with 160k miles on it. Private party for $1200 OBO. The current owner said he had a shop put a new clutch in, has typical NY rust, but everything else is fine with it and it has a 2022 inspection. I know the normal things to keep an eye out for when checking out a used vehicle, but is there anything specific with this model that I should know about?

I appreciate any info!
honest opinion, after owning one for over a year, I would pass. these cars tend to have a lot of problems, (precats) and if he is selling it for that low id be careful.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
As long as it starts and runs good, thats a $1000 car id buy all week. I mean you put a few more hundred in it and itll last you a long time. Polish the headlights, paint the wheels, couple small things here and there and bam. As far as the cats go, if you dont have emissions testing in your area, just knock the insides out, or buy a used exhaust for cheap. I dont know where youre located, but my 6 has a lot of parts im willing to sell off it. I just havent listed anything but will be soon cause i may need the driveway space.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That car looks like total crap. It's visibly rusting even in the low res pictures listed above. It is maybe worth $500-700 at most. Any mechanical issues there are the least of your concerns. The body has the automotive equivalent of terminal cancer. Maybe that's considered cool where you live, but I wouldn't touch it with your ten foot pole .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That car looks like total crap. It's visibly rusting even in the low res pictures listed above. It is maybe worth $500-700 at most. Any mechanical issues there are the least of your concerns. The body has the automotive equivalent of terminal cancer. Maybe that's considered cool where you live, but I wouldn't touch it with your ten foot pole .
Didn't buy it, someone else did. Went to a dealership and got a brand new car instead. Thank you all for the input.

Can someone close this thread?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts