Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
I would bet most complaints are young owners that thought they had an easy upgrade path to more engine power. If you like the way it drives and feels then I would really not even put much faith in most online complaints. One of the biggest problems with the internet is that there are a lot of people commenting, reviewing and complaining about cars when they should keep their uninformed opinions to themselves.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Things to look out for are generally related to the DPF.

Mine has been removed and the ECU modified and I would not recommend anyone go down that path unless they really know what they're doing and I can't emphasise that enough.

If your driving style is sympathetic to cars fitted with a DPF then you are fine (i.e. you're doing regular long distance highway miles) then all good.

What kills these early models with DPF's is when there are too many short trips that don't allow the DPF to get hot enough to burn off the soot or when people stop the car during a regen cycle and then it restarts.

The regen cycle process dumps excess fuel into the engine which tends to get past the rings into the oil pan...and so too many regens or attempted regens tends to result in oil dilution which then leads to bearing failures if the oil is not changed out.

Otherwise the car is great; The engine has been around for a while and is strong as is the transmission and clutch. Its really a solid decent car and well looked after examples can run to really high mileages without too much issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts