Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a good deal on a 2007 Mazda Speed6. I think just the sport model. 44K miles, a lot of that being highway because the owner lives away from a large city. As long as everything checks out is it a worthwhile buy? Any major mechanical things I should pay extra attention to? Any thoughts or advice would be great. I currently have a 2002 VW Jetta thats running ok, but things are starting to act up and the more i read its common.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
How much are they asking?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are only asking 13,500/obo which leads me to believe there is something they arent telling me yet. Waiting to hear back from him. He said there is no major cosmetic stuff. I asked about the engine and for more pics. Everything is stock except tint.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Yeah, either they are clueless as to what the car really is, or there is a "hidden" defect. It may have the smoking turbo syndrome and they think the motor is shot. In this case I would snap it up, replace the turbo with a BNR, and have a great car.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, either they are clueless as to what the car really is, or there is a "hidden" defect. It may have the smoking turbo syndrome and they think the motor is shot. In this case I would snap it up, replace the turbo with a BNR, and have a great car.
+1

Also, it could be nothing more than a rare case of what is known as a good deal. I've only heard of them, never actually experienced one. Which leads me to believe they're nothing more than a myth. Like an abominable snowman.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fully intend to have it inspected at a Mazda dealership after having previous issues detected from an inspection. How much do the turbos run if it needs replaced? Are there any other common issues that come from these vehicles that I should be aware of. Or anything that i should think twice about before getting one.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
"New" turbo ~$1k and having the "dealer" look at a niche car like the Speed6 is asking for more trouble as they don't know WTF it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I just found out it had brakes and rotors done recently and will need new tires soon. But, he said it was a lemon buyback als. I'm not entirely sure what that means.....

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
It means run.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Offer them $10K for it. It is worth more than that in parts alone. Hell, where is it located? I want it....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, so no go for purchase for my sole car? Or possible with getting it checked out? He has only had it a few months, bought from an auction place. I want something that will last, so if its something iffy, I'll just pass.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Why does he want to sell it after only a few months of owning it? If you are seriously interested, I would offer him the amount he paid at auction. Sounds to me like he is trying to make profit on his lemon...I would run!

There are other fish in the sea...

·
Registered
295 Posts
07 has 5yr/60k powertrain warranty. have you gotten a car fax? lemon law varies by state, if its been in the shop more than 3 times for the same complaint it could be bought back as a lemon. id give the vin to the dealer and see what they can tell you

I bought mine from a sketchy used car dealer for 16500 with 9700miles, it was like new inside but had scrathes on trim and some on the bumpers. found some crappy stuff out but i was able to fix it all. mechanically it was great. still worth what i paid even with the issues and trouble i had to deal with

1 - 19 of 19 Posts