STS

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was wondering who had the Mazdaspeed STS or the TWM STS and what you would recommend for me.. I know the Mazdaspeed one is at stock height but creates a shorter throw, and the TWM one is physically lower. I don't really know which one I would prefer.

(I have an 05 6 S)

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
I had the TWM and i liked it for the most part, it is somewhat of a knotchy shift, but i think they sell it with different bushings now.

The MS STS is actually in the mail on its way to me now, i prefer the stock height of it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I just installed the MS STS a couple of months ago and have to say I like it. You can definitely feel the reduced throw in length of gears 1, 3, and 5, but can't tell too much of a difference in gears 2 and 4 and R. Metal bushings do make it a little more "notchier", for lack of a better term.
Overall, a decent mod, but if I had it to do all over again, I probably would have spent the $ on a rear sway bar. Tiff's GB price seduced me :)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have the MS STS and the best part of it was the metal bushings. makes the shift less mushy. Like mentioned above, the 1,3,5 shifts are noticeably shorter while the 2,4,R shifts aren't quite as noticeable. Either way, I think its mostly preference of whether or not you want the stock height, which I liked. It is right in line with the armrest for me.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The MS shifter is the same height as the stock shifter, if you remember what that felt like. After it's installed, it's the ultimate sleeper. The only way to tell the difference is to actually do the shifting. This is in contrast to the TWM one. Personally, I prefer the stock height, since it allows me easy, fingertip access to the AC controls w/o having to take my hand off of the shifter.
As far as what it looks like before installing, I didn't take a pic, but there was a recent FS thread on an unopened kit in the last 1-2 weeks, IIRC and it had a pic of what the kit looked like in it's shrink wrapped package.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I too have the MS STS and it is worth it. I personally liked the stock height for several reasonsl.
- Less distance for hand to travel from wheel to shifter,
- ^^ +1 height level perfect for controls when hand is resting on the shifter,
- I liked the support block provided for the linkage,
- If something is in the front cup holder(ie bottle of water) it already interferes with the shifter (IMO anyway), I cant imagine knocking 2" off the shifter height and having something in that cupholder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (mariusvt @ Aug 28 2008, 09:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1422831
I too have the MS STS and it is worth it. I personally liked the stock height for several reasonsl.
- Less distance for hand to travel from wheel to shifter,
- ^^ +1 height level perfect for controls when hand is resting on the shifter,
- I liked the support block provided for the linkage,
- If something is in the front cup holder(ie bottle of water) it already interferes with the shifter (IMO anyway), I cant imagine knocking 2" off the shifter height and having something in that cupholder.[/b]

Alright, Thanks everyone for your input I think I shall go with the Mazdaspeed one. How hard/long is the Install? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (Andrew @ Aug 28 2008, 10:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1422881
Alright, Thanks everyone for your input I think I shall go with the Mazdaspeed one. How hard/long is the Install? Thanks.[/b]

If you have all the tools (saw, lmao), you can get it done in around 2 hours

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
QUOTE (Andrew @ Aug 28 2008, 01:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1422881
Alright, Thanks everyone for your input I think I shall go with the Mazdaspeed one. How hard/long is the Install? Thanks.[/b]

I think I did my install in around an hour, but Id figure something like 90minutes to be safe, 2hrs if you really take your time. As a note it is definitely worth taking out the extra 4 screws and pulling the whole center console out of the car. It makes disconnecting/reconnecting the shifter linkage a million times easier and only adds like 5 minutes to the whole install.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
QUOTE (mariusvt @ Aug 29 2008, 06:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1423436
I think I did my install in around an hour, but Id figure something like 90minutes to be safe, 2hrs if you really take your time. As a note it is definitely worth taking out the extra 4 screws and pulling the whole center console out of the car. It makes disconnecting/reconnecting the shifter linkage a million times easier and only adds like 5 minutes to the whole install.[/b]

Wow...I wish I had known about that...farting around with the shifter linkages was a real PITA...would have taken my 1/2 the time if it had gone smoothly.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Anyone, anyone??? Can the mazdaspeed sts still be found for the regular ol' 6? Or only real choice the TWM?
I'm completely LOVING my TWM shift kit with matching boot. You get used to the lower knob. Worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Neb here lol so where can I get ms sts for my mazda 6 3.0 it's a 2005. Any one have a link?

There used to be a few sites that have the shifter available but I have tried all the ones that I could and my orders have all been cancelled due to the shifter not being available anymore. If anyone else has had better luck elsewhere, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I'm new to 6club but I'm just posting to see if anyone can help me here. I used to be able to find the link/ the actual mazdaspeed short shifter, not 6 months ago but now it's disappeared from everywhere. Can someone help me locate a place to actually buy it from? also I'm from Canada, so I suspect it will probably be slightly harder, but I mean any link could help at this point

thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
Assoul20
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing