Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What short throw shifter would you recommend for the 6s? How does the short shifter that Mazda offers compare to the TWM? Which offers the shortest throw? Is there something else I should be considering?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Well, it really depends on what you want. The Mazdaspeed SS is nice because it's the same height as stock, but shortens the throw considerably and gives the more "mechanical feel" from the metal bushings that come with the shift kit. The TWM, on the other hand is actually a shorter shifter, sits lower, and still gives you the mechanical feel because it has the bushings as well. However, be advised that the TWM really needs a bolt (search the iammike shifter mod) under the shift cable to keep it from binding up.

Personally, I run the TWM shifter and stainless knob, with the bolt under the shift cable and I'm very happy with it. They are both top notch products, just depends on what you want, ie shorter throw same height or shorter throw lower height.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I just ordered the Mazdaspeed one, can't wait to get it on the car! I personally don't like the stubbiness of the TWM (I saw it on zoomzoomfan's car at a meet), so I got the Mazdaspeed to keep the stock shifter height. They're about the same price if you order the Mazdaspeed one from the site sponsors, I ordered it from mazdasportparts.com

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have the Mazdaspeed SS and I think its just perfect. Im not sure on the specifics but it feels like I only move half as much to shift. The crunchiness is still there for me, but its considerably smoother feeling than before. It feels more solid also, the shifter doesn't feel so loose in there anymore.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to mention for those who are considering this. The TWM looks really nice being so short but I was driving a friends with the TWM in it and I found that if I had anything in the cup holder it was very awkward to reach. Also, my elbow hits the center console when shifting into 4th and reverse. It wasn't a big deal, but I could see it getting really annoying if Im trying to hit fourth and its hitting my elbow every time. I know this wont effect everyone because I probably dont sit in the same position and have rather long arms (Im 6'3) but just wanted to let others know that this may be an issue for a at least a few of you. I actually prefer the look of a shortend shifter if it were more comfortable because other people would know it without you having to tell them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts