Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
excuse my ignorance of this has been asked before but....

There is a need for a short shifter
The stocker sits very high(especially when in 2nd, 4th, and 6th gears)
The travel or throw could be reduced

I called B&M the other day since they seem to make shifters for almost anything. The tech said they had no plans for making one but if there were 200 people seriously interested, they would make one.
He said making a shifter for the speed 6 isn't a "no brainer" like the 05 Mustang. I understand there isn't as much demand (not even close) but still demand regardless.
I also e mailed the comapny TWM about this and he said they would be making one early 07

Is there any other company that makes one or will be?

I also think the new design should have the stick positioned more toward the driver. I'm 6' tall and still think the shifter is too far forward IMO

·
Registered
940 Posts
excuse my ignorance of this has been asked before but....

There is a need for a short shifter
The stocker sits very high(especially when in 2nd, 4th, and 6th gears)
The travel or throw could be reduced

I called B&M the other day since they seem to make shifters for almost anything. The tech said they had no plans for making one but if there were 200 people seriously interested, they would make one.
He said making a shifter for the speed 6 isn't a "no brainer" like the 05 Mustang. I understand there isn't as much demand (not even close) but still demand regardless.
I also e mailed the comapny TWM about this and he said they would be making one early 07

Is there any other company that makes one or will be?

I also think the new design should have the stick positioned more toward the driver. I'm 6' tall and still think the shifter is too far forward IMO
[/b]
There are a number of threads about this - nothing out there yet. Early 2007 is just around the corner - let us know if you hear more.

·
Registered
361 Posts
[/b]
If you speak to TWM again bring this up. I'm 6'2 and FULLY agree with you. Esp in 5th gear I actually have to lean forward to reach fully. And, no I don't have the "ghetto lean" going. I have no idea how those kids shift anything nevermind the MS6.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy from TWM said he would forward my suggestions to their engineering dept. for the speed 6 shifter.
I sincerely hope he does since the shifter really needs to be repositioned back and toward the driver.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Maybe someone should shoot an email to Skunk2. I had their dual-bend shifter in my Civic and for the first time the shifter sat close to the driver. Best short throw I've ever owned.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I emailed TWM and no response. Guess just keep trying to bug them. Eventually they may make one. If not then the speed3 when they make a short throw should work on ours also.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I thought TWM had a short throw shifter out...Or i'm wrong as usual.
Anyway, when I checked the Mazdaspeed accessories guide online, under their 5speed short throw shifter, they had a section for Mazda6 and Mazdaspeed6. Theres nothing there but if I'm not mistaken, I think it might be that Mazda will plan to make a 6 speed short shifter that has the correct gates for the speed6. I hope so. From what I've read about, their 5 speed short shifter is way better than TWM's or RPM's.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TWM does NOT have a short shifter for the MS6 as of yet. I just spoke with them again on the phone yesterday.
They said.....
Our engineering dept. is currently working on one for the speed 6. We are getting a lot of calls and e mails about one so we are doing our best to have one developed. We estimate March of 2007 for the release.

Some news is better than no news.
I really want a shorter and better positioned shifter.
I could easily cut/weld/mod my stocker but the throw won't be reduced just the height so I'll anxiously wait :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If you speak to TWM again bring this up. I'm 6'2 and FULLY agree with you. Esp in 5th gear I actually have to lean forward to reach fully. And, no I don't have the "ghetto lean" going. I have no idea how those kids shift anything nevermind the MS6.
[/b]
I'm only 5'6 so if you have issues reaching 5th imagine my problems. I HATE grinding 5th because I didn't push it all the way in.

As far as the ghetto lean, they actually lean in towards the car, so they should have an easier time shifting. The shift knob is right in front of their face.

·
Registered
795 Posts
hey guys, i just gave my car yesterday morning to TWM so they can take some mesurment , so yes they are doing a short shifter for our car!! wont be long i guess

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hallejuah. Hope its ready for christmas so I can wish for it. Though I doubt that they can get it out that soon.

But this is great news. thanks a bunch p5.

·
Registered
143 Posts
hey guys, i just gave my car yesterday morning to TWM so they can take some mesurment , so yes they are doing a short shifter for our car!! wont be long i guess
[/b]

Your the man you always have great info. Keep blowing off those Mustangs :drive:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
sorry for the treadjacking....
is our shift shorter than the regular 6?
how much shorter?
[/b]
The shifter for the regular 6 is horrible. I used to own a 2006, V6, and OMG that shifter was absolutely terrible. Not only was it super high and sloppy, but the throws were about a mile long on it!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just want something along the lines of the Mustang Pro5.0 shifter with positive stops and a spring loaded shift.
[/b]
Won't happen.... Mustang shifters attach directly to the shifter rail & bolt onto the trans.... ours don't.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[/b]

any updates???????
I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally want one

·
Registered
795 Posts
any updates???????
I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally want one
[/b]
its the holidays now so for sure it will not be ready next week lol

the told me febuary

·