Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i decided i want intake, but cant decide which one i want. The major determining factor will be ease of installation and unistalling. In the winter i would want to tkae it off and then have it for summer and spring. Which one of these is easier to install. Im ATX 6I. Howlong should i expect it to take for installing and then unistalling thanx

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Short ram is an easier install, but is absolutely pointless since you'll be pulling HOT air in right off the engine. CAI is not a tough install, but I think that switching abck and forth would get old pretty quickly. Don't bother with the short ram. Just do the air-box mod, may be the best solution for you.

·
Registered
867 Posts
ok heres some info here. I would get CAI b/c thats getting you more power and better sound. All short ram is kinda like the stock only with new piping and makes it sound a little better. I'm 16 and didnt know much about cars and installed my CAI with the help of some tools at school. Installation of Injen is here, this is for 6s but it will give you a reference. here I'm not sure about installation time can be about an hour

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I've had my CP-E MAFci for 35,000 miles through winter, snow, slush, rain, nor'easters, tropical storms, etc. I don't see the point of taking it off for the winter. If anything having a CAI in the cold of winter is really really fun!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont understand why people say sri is pointless. Im mainly interested in the agressive sounding, dont want an exhaust htough, is it that bad getting an sri. The hp gains are very similair

·
Registered
436 Posts
i dont understand why people say sri is pointless. Im mainly interested in the agressive sounding, dont want an exhaust htough, is it that bad getting an sri. The hp gains are very similair
[/b]
If all you want is sound, just do the airbox mod.

An SRI is a complete and total waste of money. If you're going to spend money on it, just get a CAI.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why would you want to take your intake off in the first place. I think since its been getting colder out its def sounds alot better in the morning after sitting all night :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well if its such a waste of money then y do people with subies, gsrs and all cars do it. It cant be that bad. If it was so unworth it people wouldnt be buying it.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
well if its such a waste of money then y do people with subies, gsrs and all cars do it. It cant be that bad. If it was so unworth it people wouldnt be buying it.
[/b]
Because their turbocharger setups largely dictates how much pipe you can lay under the hood. You'll notice turbocharged setups that there is a lot of piping involved: from induction to turbo , from turbo to intercooler, to intercooler to engine. With limited space, some turbo setups are limited to short induction piping. Also, heat soak is not as much an issue given the intercooler cools the charge prior to entering the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i guess my real question is, is the sound difference really taht much worse with the sri then the cai
[/b]
If you want sound, just do the airbox mod. It sounds nearly as good as an SRI and costs nothing. Add a K&N panel filter, and it will sound nearly identical to an SRI. If you care about performance as well as sound, get a CAI.

You can't compare our cars to WRXs and the like. The engine setup is completely different. On our cars, an SRI is useless.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok i get it cai is the best, on mazdausa.com i noticed they have three cold air intakes. I would rather the dealer do the install, i no it oculd get pricey, but i have an extended warranty and it would make my dad feel betteer. He did buy the car and its his so i guess since hes letting me do it, i can let the dealer do it. Mazda's intakes Will any of these fit an 05 6i atx, and which one is the best. Also is it true if u bring a part to the dealer they might be able to install it for you. My friend said dealers do installd i never heard of this. So if i brought an aem cai would they isntall it for me. Also in the purchasing it says manual trans not auto. Does it amke a difference

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so iwas checking out the rpmstores's cold air intakes and i ddecided paying for the cpe is just out of the question. Which one of the foollowing is the best for sound qeuality and performance, injen, fujita, aem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts