Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

What does Carl think about this?

What? At least I didn't post the SEARCH NOOB!! response.

Anyway, in my personal experience, (your personal results may vary) a short ram does very little for your low rpm performance. In fact, on 100°+ days, my SRI equipped Integra was downright sluggish off the line until some cooler air got under the hood. On the freeway from 7-8000 rpm, the SRI equipped 'teg was great. But no real low rpm increase

Various dyno comparisons have rated the SRI higher on peak output but virtually every CAI outperformed the SRIs on midrange (the so-called AEM bump) and had a wider overall increase.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Keep in mind if you go with a CAI to add some sort a shield or something to prevent sucking water into your intake and ruining your engine. I'm pretty sure there are "how to" threads for this, but I'm not sure where. I have the SRI and a turbo inlet pipe (tip) and I'm happy with the performance (coupled with the other mods in sig). Plus, hydrolock is virtually impossible (unless I drive into a lake). The Cobb SRI gives you gains of 14hp and 19tq if I remember correctly. The CAI's are quite a bit higher. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I would have to drive in some deep ass water to hydrolock.

I had planned on converting my CAI to a short ram with a heat shield. The main reason for this was so that I would not not have to un-ass the fender liner to access the filter to wash it. ( and shatter or strip stupid useless nylon rivets) Not because I fear that I will drive my car into a foot of water and hydrolock it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
yea my filter is a foot and a half above the ground so hydrolocking isn't really a issue.. puddles aren't going to do anything besides wet the filter a little and that isn't going to hurt anything.. i love my cpe cai.. there are a lot of threads on this subject and you can read up on many of our member's experiences with both cai's and sri's. but at the end of the day it's your choice

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just to add in cuz I have an AEM CAI, you get nothing from it until at least 2nd or 3rd gear when A. that cooler(?) air get that cooler and 2. the air swirl effect starts to push the air thru. My AEM ive noticed gives more of a boost, no pun intended, at higher speeds especially in 5th gear you can feel the acceleration difference. Maybe its just me but thats my exp with a CAI

B

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I would have to drive in some deep ass water to hydrolock.
yea my filter is a foot and a half above the ground so hydrolocking isn't really a issue.. puddles aren't going to do anything besides wet the filter a little and that isn't going to hurt anything.. i love my cpe cai.. there are a lot of threads on this subject and you can read up on many of our member's experiences with both cai's and sri's. but at the end of the day it's your choice
I wasn't sure how far down your CAI's went down. However, the dealership where I bought my car was putting in a new engine for some dude who had the Mazdaspeed CAI and hydro-locked. I don't know what the circumstances were. What I couldn't believe is that the guy's car insurance (Gieco) actually covered the cost!!!!!

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Just to add in cuz I have an AEM CAI, you get nothing from it until at least 2nd or 3rd gear when A. that cooler(?) air get that cooler and 2. the air swirl effect starts to push the air thru. My AEM ive noticed gives more of a boost, no pun intended, at higher speeds especially in 5th gear you can feel the acceleration difference. Maybe its just me but thats my exp with a CAI

B
Incorrect, you don't get gains from an intake specific to certain gears. The 6i doesn't get much from intakes anyways so it isn't a big deal.

As for getting off the line faster, I'm guessing you have an automatic. In that case, brake-torquing to the stall speed helped me tremendously at the drag strip. The 5spd atx has a stall speed 2250rpm and I believe the 4spd atx has a higher (2500) stall speed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
what is stall speed ? and if the 2.3l atenza dsnt get much out of a CAI , than what would be a good upgrade ? replacing the header with larger ones and keep the stock air filter system ? or something else ? please do write !

thnks!

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
what is stall speed ? and if the 2.3l atenza dsnt get much out of a CAI , than what would be a good upgrade ? replacing the header with larger ones and keep the stock air filter system ? or something else ? please do write !

thnks!
Well, first things first, you have a 6, not an Atenza, lol.

I'd suggest reading up on how to launch an automatic; there are a number of videos and write-ups on the topic. Utilize google for that.

And I mentioned that regarding the intake because an intake won't transform your 6i into some crazy beast. If you don't plan on doing all of the usual suspects (intake, optimized throttle body, header, exhaust, flash tune) then I really wouldn't bother with any engine modifications to start with. On their own, they're basically worthless. Good tires, springs, shocks, and sways will do far, far more to changing the character of the car than anything that isn't a turbo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
so this means if i just put on a CAI n do nothing more... dats not gonna giv me anything ! and if i really wana feel some change..i do need to upgrade almost everything ?

now if i want to put on a turbo do i need to replace my headers with larger ones ? is it mandatory ? do turbo chargers come with their own air intake ? what i want to know is..if i plan to put on a turbo, which are the parts do i need to change ? i have seen turbo packages with 2/3 pipes n other tools.. so i got confused about which parts do they provide with the charger..

do i sound way too dumb ? well may b i am..but in my country i am unable to see all these after market parts in front of me ..and neither they are available..its just my interest.. so when ever u ppl write..try to fit in as much info as possible !

thanx in advance ! i do appriciate the effort u all put !

·
Registered
440 Posts
Incorrect, you don't get gains from an intake specific to certain gears. The 6i doesn't get much from intakes anyways so it isn't a big deal.

As for getting off the line faster, I'm guessing you have an automatic. In that case, brake-torquing to the stall speed helped me tremendously at the drag strip. The 5spd atx has a stall speed 2250rpm and I believe the 4spd atx has a higher (2500) stall speed.
Correct Im just giving examples of when I can feel the car performing better higher up you go in gear. Maybe its just me but I feel my car accelerates just a lil faster thru those gears than it did before. I.E. I do feel a better acceleration in 5th gear than when I had the stock box in.

B

·
Registered
10 Posts
alright ! so its just a little difference for big price ? i guess to really feel the difference..one should replace the intake, headers and the exhaust ? will tht be enuf? or need even more ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts