Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 34,700 miles, my clutch is on its way out. The dealer quoted me $1100 to replace it. Can anyone recommend a shop to do the work, that will let me supply the parts. I am thinking of going with a Clutchmasters stage 1 clutch. I am not sure if it should get a lighter flywheel, or just let them resurface the stock one. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Well, after 34,700 miles, my clutch is on its way out. The dealer quoted me $1100 to replace it. Can anyone recommend a shop to do the work, that will let me supply the parts. I am thinking of going with a Clutchmasters stage 1 clutch. I am not sure if it should get a lighter flywheel, or just let them resurface the stock one. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.
[/b]
I PM'd a fellow member that may be able to help you. Where are you on the island? And why not the Stage 2?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am located in Massapequa.
I am not considering the stage 2 because honestly, I don't think I need it. I don't have any mods on the car and I don't plan to race it. I really don't want to put a new Mazda clutch in only to have it fail in another 35000 miles, I can't do this every 3 years.
Is the stage 2 worth it for someone in my situation - daily driver with no mods?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Thanks. I am located in Massapequa.
I am not considering the stage 2 because honestly, I don't think I need it. I don't have any mods on the car and I don't plan to race it. I really don't want to put a new Mazda clutch in only to have it fail in another 35000 miles, I can't do this every 3 years.
Is the stage 2 worth it for someone in my situation - daily driver with no mods?
[/b]
I personally haven't switched mine out yet. But I am looking into the Stage 2 because
"life expectancy is increased by 2-3 times."
"normal clutch feel during engagement and disengagement for the smoothest operation of any stage we offer."
Per RPM's web site

·
Registered
940 Posts
I find it very discouraging that I keep hearing about people with Mazda 6's replacing their clutches in the 30000 mile range - I have had about a half dozen manual transmission cars and have put hundreds of thousands of miles on them and the only clutch I ever had to replace was on my first car and it was DEFINITELY due to abuse. Has Mazda succeeded in making everyone believe that 35,000 miles is normal to replace a clutch in or is it just that there is a lot of clutch abuse on this board?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
hey rob and usaf,

i wish i could help rob out with the labor time but unfortunantly i dont set the customer hour rates. if we had more customers coming in with 35k failed clutches then i could probobly get the labor rate dropped a bit, however we havent seen too many failed clutches on these cars at early mileage. i know what we quoted you, 8 hours is high, but i cant do anything about it really. i may be able to talk to my manager again on monday and see if i can hook you up a bit.

oh and USAF, it was my dealer originally that rob came in to.

yeah my dealer does tend to charge a good amount of labor hours, however when it comes to warranty and mods, we are pretty damn good.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you are going to replace something like a clutch, esp on a FWD car, upgrade. A clutch is something you don't/shouldn't have to really replace more then once (unless you really kill it). On my Probe the stock clutch had 130k miles on it before I replaced it. And the last 20k was nothing but racing and 3 different motors. As a replacement I went with the CM 3, only b/c of the power I am putting down with the car. To this day (50k+ later) it still burns 2nd and churps into 3rd if I hit it right. A CM 3 may be a bit extreme for your purpose, but going with a CM 1 is basically a stock clutch. Going with the CM 2 will keep you mind at ease that it will hold any amount of power you will put down with this car (short of a large shot of NOS or turbo). And it will last a long time in the car. Spend the extra $$ now and avoid replacing it again sooner then you are ready to.

ßill

and a shameless plug: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=59271

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. Stage 2 is looking like the way to go. I hope RPM's holiday sale includes some discounts on clutches.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Stage 2 is looking like the way to go. I hope RPM's holiday sale includes some discounts on clutches.
[/b]

rob, a spoke with my manager Mike. he wanted me to tell you, that this price we quoted includes r&r, resurface flywheel, road test, standing behind all of our work, parts and labor for 12/12, being worked on by the #3 mazda master tech in the northeast region, and a mazda full circle report.

you can supply your parts if you wish, we just cant warranty after market clutches. either wayi want to let you know. book time runs 8.9 hours. so charging 8 is not bad. plus outside shops really dont charge much less if any that 95 an hour.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
rob, a spoke with my manager Mike. he wanted me to tell you, that this price we quoted includes r&r, resurface flywheel, road test, standing behind all of our work, parts and labor for 12/12, being worked on by the #3 mazda master tech in the northeast region, and a mazda full circle report.

you can supply your parts if you wish, we just cant warranty after market clutches. either wayi want to let you know. book time runs 8.9 hours. so charging 8 is not bad. plus outside shops really dont charge much less if any that 95 an hour.
[/b]
#3 mazda master tech?!?!?!? Where does the #1 guy work. I am going there for now on :D Just fucking with you Mr. Sieve

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
#3 mazda master tech?!?!?!? Where does the #1 guy work. I am going there for now on :D Just fucking with you Mr. Sieve
[/b]

its alright, the #1 is in bangor maine supposedly. but #3 out of 177 registered mazda master techs is pretty damn good.

and you cant count out mike, the manager who owned his own euro repair shop for 20 years, and is a certified master tech with benz, alfa, fiat, ferrari, and renault. these guys ARE the best i know.

oh and mr. usaf, personalities are allowed. no prob man.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
its alright, the #1 is in bangor maine supposedly. but #3 out of 177 registered mazda master techs is pretty damn good.

and you cant count out mike, the manager who owned his own euro repair shop for 20 years, and is a certified master tech with benz, alfa, fiat, ferrari, and renault. these guys ARE the best i know.

oh and mr. usaf, personalities are allowed. no prob man.
[/b]
Didn't mean to ruffle feathers. I was just joking with you bro.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

[/b]

Thanks for looking into it again for me. However, I am going to be using an independent shop for the repair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts