Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 03 Mazda 6 in for some suspension work, including changing both front axles due to torn boots. I test drove the car after picking up and everything seemed fine. The next day about a mile from home something popped, and the tranny sounded like in had gravel in it any time the clutch was out (even in neutral) or when the car was moving. (even with the clutch in) I started to head bad to the shop when both front tire locked up solid and I came to an abrupt stop. I couldn't get the car out of gear and couldn't get the car to move when I released the clutch. So with the tranny locked up had it towed back to the shop. Total about 10 miles put on the car since they worked on it.

My question for the collective knowledge base out there, is there something the shop could have done to cause the tranny to fail or is it just coincidence? I never had a bit of problem with noise,shifting issues before this.

2003 Mazda 6, 4 cyl, 5 speed manual

·
Super Moderator
16,953 Posts
Sorry to hear about what happened. I'd like to think that if the shop accidentally touched anything that they'd own up to it, but that's a rarity these days.

I'd also like to say it's a coincidence because you'll never get a shop to admit they broke something.

That being said - it seems very unlikely that you noticed something almost immediately after they worked on your car. Specifically what they could have accidentally (or purposely) done are a number of things.

Quickly check if there is any trans fluid in the car - that's step 1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately the car was towed to the shop and I didn't get over there until the end of the day. The axle opening is about the same level as the fill plug so there shouldn't have been much fluid loss, but who knows if a mechanic drained it before pulling the axle and it didn't get refilled. I checked it at the shop and it's full and clean, but they've had it for 24 hours. As much as I love my 6, I have a feeling that I'm just going to have to walk away from my 6. It doesn't seem cost effective to drop $2800 for a rebuilt tranny into a car worth $2000.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
My experience with changing the drivers side axle is that when the axle is pulled from the trans, most of the fluid comes with it. Not all, but certainly enough to cause problems if not replaced. This is a manual transmission issue, as stated. Also, if they fucked up installing one or both of the new axles, then damaged could have occurred. Also (again), if the axles have dimensional spec issues (non OE parts), that could be a problem. It's hard to have the smoking gun on this one, but it doesn't look good for them. Methinks you have a new trans in your future, complements of the shop. At the very least they should split it with you as a show of good faith. Yelp reviews can be a bitch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the support. I met with the shop foreman and the regional manager. They say they didn't do anything wrong.
I've told the shop I'm not paying for any repairs, and they've messed up my tranny, they can fix it. I'll pay for a new clutch kit, put anything outside of that, they're problem.
We'll see who buckles first.
In the meantime, I'll be looking for a used 6 with a bigger motor.

·
Super Moderator
16,953 Posts
Thanks for all the support. I met with the shop foreman and the regional manager. They say they didn't do anything wrong.
I've told the shop I'm not paying for any repairs, and they've messed up my tranny, they can fix it. I'll pay for a new clutch kit, put anything outside of that, they're problem.
We'll see who buckles first.
In the meantime, I'll be looking for a used 6 with a bigger motor.
Good luck and let us know how things go :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts