Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad for the car? I let my friend drive my car today and he kept missing third, he put it too far, and went from 2nd to fifth. Now he kept the rpms up and stuff. Is it bad for my car?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
It's not bad, as long as you're not in too low of speed when switching to 5th gear. But it's kinda hard to get 2nd gear to go fast enough to go straight to 5th. Probably the car is struggling when you do that.

Sometimes I also skip a gear, for example accelerating on 3rd gear and I'm fast enough that I skipped 4th and go straight to 5th.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh he hit redline and then would just push it to the side and shift into fifth and the car's rpm's would drop to about like 1.5k to 2k.

·
Registered
867 Posts
thats fine i skip gears sometimes only gear i would skip is 4th. 3rd to 5th seems to be the best

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sometimes you'll save gas by doing the old 2-4 or in this case the 2-5.
Kick his ass for the redline stuff however.
Save redlines for racing and then it may not always be the best thing to do.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I skip 4th gear quite often in normal day-to-day driving when I'm not doing anything remotely close to spirited driving. As for 2nd to 5th, I wonder if I could conquer that sometime. It's just simple matching with the RPMs but I hate redlining my car a lot. That color means pushing the car to its limit.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its alright, its my fault for letting him drive while he was new to manual so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on the guy. Yeah, I think he easily matched 2nd to 5th. Kind of amazing. Anyways, I don't redline, but I push it to about 6k RPM at the most. I (personally) have never entered redline yet.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Damn up to 6k. I'm 16 and with the sound of my CAI shifting at 3k sounds louder than most cars on road. At night I'm more cautious when shifting from 2nd to 3rd cause I worry about accidently shifting into first. Even though shifting to 1st at a high speed with our car I don't think you'll be able to it gets really stiff to move, but it still crosses my mind.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
6k seems kind of high but red line is like 6.7k RPM so it's well below it. Regardless, when I shift into third, I just double clutch, let it stick in neutral, and then just push it forward. Simple as that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts