Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it seems as though my stock clutch is starting to go. I would simply like to verify this with everyone to see if it is truly the case.

Sometimes on cold starts, the car shudders "hops" violently in first at a low RPM. Is this due to my driving or the stock clutch?

In addition, it takes about 2.5 - 3k RPM to get her going from first is this normal?

When I am shifting pretty quickly, (going fast) upon switching from second to third the car sometimes gets stuck in the transition between gears and makes a loud and obviously gear grinding sound. Again, I do not believe that I am a novice driver, I know how to shift properly and how to drive stick. If this problem is another example of the POS stock clutch, why would this gear griding problem only happen in third?

Thanks for any feedback! :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (GrkMazdaMan @ Jun 10 2009, 12:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1571088
Hey guys, it seems as though my stock clutch is starting to go. I would simply like to verify this with everyone to see if it is truly the case.

Sometimes on cold starts, the car shudders "hops" violently in first at a low RPM. Is this due to my driving or the stock clutch?

In addition, it takes about 2.5 - 3k RPM to get her going from first is this normal?

When I am shifting pretty quickly, (going fast) upon switching from second to third the car sometimes gets stuck in the transition between gears and makes a loud and obviously gear grinding sound. Again, I do not believe that I am a novice driver, I know how to shift properly and how to drive stick. If this problem is another example of the POS stock clutch, why would this gear griding problem only happen in third?

Thanks for any feedback! :)[/b]
Yea, when i am getting on it and shifting from 2nd to 3rd I am locked out of the gear and cant get into 3rd. Its not your clutch, I have a spec stage 2 clutch and it happens to me. I believe this is so you dont damage you engine due to the fuel cut. I think the WOT box would fix this. If anyone can confirm what I am saying that would be great.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Steve Rosa @ Jun 10 2009, 12:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1571097
Yea, when i am getting on it and shifting from 2nd to 3rd I am locked out of the gear and cant get into 3rd. Its not your clutch, I have a spec stage 2 clutch and it happens to me. I believe this is so you dont damage you engine due to the fuel cut. I think the WOT box would fix this. If anyone can confirm what I am saying that would be great.[/b]
That kinda sucks if that is truly the case. I don't understand why the hell they would want to regulate acceleration like that. Besides the point, even if this is truly what happens, when i put it in third and the WOT box prevents it from switching it sounds as though we are tearing apart some piece of the car, most typically the gearbox as it grinds around the ports and doesnt connect. I hate it when that happens to me, some times I can press the clutch quickly and it frees the gear from the box, but other times I'm not that fast in preventing it. Any suggestions about this?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
3rd gear syncro could be on its way out if it isn't going into 3rd cleanly. Its a fairly common problem on earlier 6's.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
QUOTE (GrkMazdaMan @ Jun 10 2009, 12:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1571088

Thanks for any feedback! :)[/b]
the fast shift from 2nd to 3rd gear grind is the syncos. common problem with the 6.

QUOTE (Steve Rosa @ Jun 10 2009, 12:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1571097
Yea, when i am getting on it and shifting from 2nd to 3rd I am locked out of the gear and cant get into 3rd. Its not your clutch, I have a spec stage 2 clutch and it happens to me. I believe this is so you dont damage you engine due to the fuel cut. I think the WOT box would fix this. If anyone can confirm what I am saying that would be great.[/b]
WOT Box will not fix this completely, although it will reduce this from happening. it will happen occasionally if you dont time your shifts.

i was the first non-speed with the WOT box, actually did the testing on it. even with the new user interface software that they have me testing for it, once in a blue moon i'd get a grind, or more rather, slight pop when tossing in into 3rd.

its just the syncros, but the WOT box does reduce the chance of this happening, but doesnt mean you can get sloppy with shifting.

QUOTE (mariusvt @ Jun 10 2009, 06:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1571311
3rd gear syncro could be on its way out if it isn't going into 3rd cleanly. Its a fairly common problem on earlier 6's.[/b]
+1 agree as stated above, lol

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yea 3rd starting to grind for me to, more so i can feel the teeth engaging through the shifter as it's not a loud grind. It's just the synchro's on their way out and it only does it at higher RPM's and not in regular cruising.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do...how much is a new synchro? is there a aftermarket one? GUess I'll start searching cause im having the same problem now but now its getting hard to put in 1st 2nd and reverse....it kind of struggles and fights with me. Sometimes I have to push the clutch in 3 times before it finally goes into gear...Sucks!! oh well

·
Registered
701 Posts
QUOTE (jack9484 @ Jul 9 2009, 03:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1581403
Do...how much is a new synchro? is there a aftermarket one? GUess I'll start searching cause im having the same problem now but now its getting hard to put in 1st 2nd and reverse....it kind of struggles and fights with me. Sometimes I have to push the clutch in 3 times before it finally goes into gear...Sucks!! oh well[/b]

I had some of these problems before the MS-STS. Once I did the STS and changed the fluid to AMSOIL, shifting was sweet. The Dealer was even talking about replacing the transmission if it continued.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Definitely the synchro. I've learnt to deal with it already, there are two ways to overcome the problem. One is that when you shift to third keep it in the back of your mind and give the stick that little extra push to make sure it doesn't pop out of gear. The other is DO NOT keep your hand on the gearstick. Drive like a race car driver and only put your hand on the gearstick when actually shifting.

The problem is caused by the sychro rejecting the change as lesser than enough force is being applied to put the stick into third gear. If you have driven a dc2 honda you will notice the EXACT same problem with third gear, the only solution with the Honda's is to force it in despite the crunch. Most of us, unknowingly will still have our hand on the gearstick. If you take note next time this happens, you will feel the sychro reject the stick backward and the grinding is purely the drivers fault as they sub-consciously continue to try push the stick into third with the clutch unfortunately released.

·
Registered
606 Posts
This is interesting.

After my lightweight FW and Stage 1 clutch install (and I have had the MS-STS for a long time now), it is more difficult to get the car into 3rd, especially when I am accelerating quickly.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=1581324

The shifter now feels "balky" but it was never like that prior to the FW/clutch install.

It may be the synchros as everyone is saying, but i wonder if my clutch pedal is not correctly adjusted. The installers set my clutch engagement fairly low to the floor. If I set the engagement point higher (which in turn would mean I have a longer clutch pedal stroke), would I have easier, less balky shifting into 3rd.

For me, the install of the new items may be factor in my 3rd gear difficulties.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanx,

Alex

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah you have to be careful when adjusting it yourself. Remember in the write-up how it states to not put it too close to the floor because you might actually restrict the clutch engagement from 100% to like 90 or less. So you may be pushing the pedal all the way but it may only be "half-clutching".

When I do my clutch I'm gonna get my synchro replaced. I too am interested in where we can buy these and if aftermarket ones exist.

·
Registered
44 Posts
QUOTE (ttshark @ Aug 20 2009, 10:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1593855
Yeah you have to be careful when adjusting it yourself. Remember in the write-up how it states to not put it too close to the floor because you might actually restrict the clutch engagement from 100% to like 90 or less. So you may be pushing the pedal all the way but it may only be "half-clutching".

When I do my clutch I'm gonna get my synchro replaced. I too am interested in where we can buy these and if aftermarket ones exist.[/b]
agreed. the (painfully obvious) way i could tell if it was adjusted too low was that it was nearly impossible to engage reverse.

·
Registered
73 Posts
1st gear sometimes blocks me out on a roll...very annoying...bc then in 2nd gear the rpms are too low

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
12 Participants
MazdaMamma6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing