Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions.

#1 Approximately what RPMs are you guys at when taking off from a stop? I'm having some troubles driving this car smoothly and I think it's because of some differences between it and my old car. My old car has a V6 so it had more torque down low, I could slowly let out the clutch and take off without even using the gas (so ~800 rpm). Also, the tach on my old car:

As you can see, since it's not a full circle, the numbers are much closer together. 4000 RPM on my Cougar is about 2000 RPM on my MS6.

Now obviously taking off at 800 RPM doesn't work in the Mazda. I think subconcously I look down and see the tach at 1500 or 2000 RPM and think I must be smoking the clutch like crazy. So what are you guys at when you go from a stop?

#2 Is 2nd gear quite notchy for anybody else? It seems all the other ones are fine, and 2nd gear doesn't even do it all the time. But once in a while when I go from 1st to 2nd, it feels like a little bit of a "crunch". It doesn't grind or make a sound or anything, it just doesn't feel like the other shifts do.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
2nd gear seems to be a common problem, I have it a lil bit too but i am gonna wait till 2-3K miles to warrenty it... I rev to 2-2500 rpms in 1st.

·
Registered
661 Posts
just blip the throttle, let out the clutch a bit, blip again, drop the clutch and you're on your way...

if you really want to have fun, take it to 4500 and slip the clutch w/full throttle and be prepared to shift to 2nd immediately

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
yea I was used to dropping it in at around 800 on my 240, since the clutch was butter and I would slowly feather.

however, the 6 is a bit harder, but I can still feather the bad boy in smooth at pretty low rpms, like around 1000. Most generally probably around 1-1.2k?

·
Registered
66 Posts
yea I was used to dropping it in at around 800 on my 240, since the clutch was butter and I would slowly feather.

however, the 6 is a bit harder, but I can still feather the bad boy in smooth at pretty low rpms, like around 1000. Most generally probably around 1-1.2k?
[/b]

My SVTC is a very very short engagement, but I have got to the point where i can move my foot in small enough increments to successfully feather it. It just takes practice.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hmmm, I must be one of the slowest take off drivers on this board. I try to take off from 1k-1.5k, 2-2.5k if I am wearing like thicker shoes or having a bad control day. =)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have two questions.

#2 Is 2nd gear quite notchy for anybody else? It seems all the other ones are fine, and 2nd gear doesn't even do it all the time. But once in a while when I go from 1st to 2nd, it feels like a little bit of a "crunch". It doesn't grind or make a sound or anything, it just doesn't feel like the other shifts do.
[/b]
I have the exact same issue with mine. Same crunch that happens only some of the time. As for taking off, 1-1.5k. My Probe GT, very similar to your Cougar V6, was much easier to take off from idle.

·
Registered
305 Posts
a lot of this has to do with the high, uncomfortable clutch release point making it difficult to smoothly launch at low RPM. You might want to consider adjusting the clutch as discussed on this forum -

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I've had a 3.0L V6 cougar and a 3.0L V6 M6, and I can tell you that both of them were "easier" to be smooth....

The great thing to be is how easily the 4 cyl. pops up and down when starting up... if I revved either of my old cars to 2K on accident, and waited for the RPM's to come down before letting the clutch out I would have had traffic screaming at me...

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Man my 2,000 rpms seems frigging rediculous now....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts