Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2006 Speed6 the other day with 14k (awesome right)...

When shifting from 1st to 2nd at low speeds (below 2.5k rpm) shifting is ok but not smooth like my 6 GT.

However, when shifting out of 1st above (2.5k rpm shifting) into 2nd, shifting becomes difficult and has quite a bit of shock. (requires a lot more force & time to shift). I experience some of the same issue shifting into 3rd but it's a lot more manageable. 4th, 5th & 6th are absolutely fine.

What do you guys suggest? Have my clutch adjusted? Has anyone else experienced this?

This car is stock with the exception of a CAI.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
This is extraordinarily common. I describe it as a crunchy feeling.
There's a thread someplace around here about this topic with decent info in it, iirc.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I had this issue with mine when I first got it, and I hated it. I went w/ the TWM stage 2 short throw shifter 2/ aluminum base bushing, and Redline synthetic fluids. It was like night and day. It was almost exclusively the 1-2 throw that was glitchy as hell... it would hang me up for at least 1/4-1/2 second, and it pissed me off every time. I even made a couple crappy vids about it that show the improvement over stock (sorry, no angry vids of the stocker, lol):

I don't have any "before" vids, and I'm a rookie shifting, so if you can't at least as quick as the vids, then you're probably suffering from one of these issues. If you're on a tight budget, try going w/ just the aluminum base bushing first ($50?), but the stage 1 or 2 sts reduce shift throw by ~30% (~$200 w/ bushings), and it is awesome. I forget how much the fluids are, but you should do those while you're at it imo. The stage 2 sts w/ bushings and fluids were probably the BEST mods I ever done, because the car sucked to drive before them.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Some have had success tinkering with the shifter components, others have been told synchs are shot, and have had trannies replaced.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i found it difficult to shift when i got my 07 ms6 with 9k miles 6 months ago. to me the engine was loading up twisting back and force too much causing it to be rougher and stick in gear almost. i replaced with cpe rear motor mount and i thought it was great improvement. tho ive lost some of that improvment by now. i asked the dealer to check it out cause i also believe my 2nd gear shycro is worn but they no problem founded it.

also jbarone makes a shoft shift plate with bushings for like 100 bucks. cheaper alternative to the twm shifter and is what ill be going with soon

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just have one thing to say. I hate the trans in this car.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I just have one thing to say. I hate the trans in this car.
Really?

I haven't really had any major complaints. I mean, it's definitely not great, but it's handled my abuse. It's a little unrefined. Yeah, and the whole crunchiness shifting from 1 to 2. Sometimes I'll get a grind going into 6th.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
......... It's a little unrefined. Yeah, and the whole crunchiness shifting from 1 to 2. Sometimes I'll get a grind going into 6th.
Damn, you guys got lemons! Mine is flawless and shifts like "butta"...

Mine 1-2 shift is so smooth and fast that I can nail low 4 sec 0-60s quite easily...

·
Registered
806 Posts
i replaced with cpe rear motor mount and i thought it was great improvement.
Agreed, to my surprise I also noticed installing the cpe rear motor mount helped with shifting.

And also as dougefresh mentioned, fluids also helped. Synth fluids in the tranny, diff, and transfer case also made the car quieter.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it to the dealership and they found the rear engine mount was damaged. It was replaced with an upgraded one from the 08 speed until i can get a front and rear engine mount from SU.

I also installed a short-shifter and it is soooo much smoother. The car feels a lot more refined now.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I took it to the dealership and they found the rear engine mount was damaged. It was replaced with an upgraded one from the 08 speed......
That's strange. There is no `08 Speed6. Maybe they lied or you missunderstood what the dealer idiot said?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FORZDA ... that's what i thought ...but maybe i misunderstood...i didnt ask any questions...i was just happy it didnt cost me anything beyond the short shifter

Reactions: FORZDA 1

·
Registered
615 Posts
I switched to a high quality syn. fluid in my trans and noticed a little difference, but not much. I'm guessing as Doug said the bushings will make a lot of difference.
Keep in mind the engine will move around making it more difficult to have smooth shifts as well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts