Mazda 6 Forums banner

Shifting Advise/Question

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  cbob 
#1 ·
When I was in the traffic today, I found something out. I just left my car in second gear, start and stop with second gear, I found the car to be much more smooth and less harsh than starting in first gear, and I don't have to move the shifter around. Is that good for my transmission and clutch?

#2 ·
as long as you dont ride the clutch, you should be fine. The secret I've found to stop and go traffic is to find a suitable gear and just keep it there. Typically, if I leave it in 2nd and give it a little gas, back off, give it a little gas. If I get it right, i don't have to shift or touch the brake/clutch.

Course, it's 1000000 times better to use the clutch/brake than rear end the guy in front of you.

#3 ·
i just put it in gear one...and dont touch the gas or brake...

hold the clutch down....release a bit and the car starts to creep forward and if have to brake to stop if traffic stops...and do the same thing keep playing with the clutch only...works best for me

#4 ·
Keep an eye out your RPMs and as long as they arent constantly dipping below idle you should be ok. Add yes, dont ride the clutch either. These already go way before they should.

#5 ·
Moving from dead stop to 2nd is probably going to wear on your clutch faster but not as fast as constantly going 1 to 2 will wear out your nerves. In my old BMW, I usually started in 2nd unless I was going up hill but that car had a lot more low end torque than the 6i does.

#8 ·
you can also "ride the clutch" if you hover your left foot over the pedal so you can get the "quick reaction time anytime" . What happens is that with every bump you hit, your foot will end up hitting the pedal and slipping the clutch a bit, and then you wear out the clutch in no time.

#11 ·
I think starting in 2nd rides the clutch a bit more than first. I usually leave it in first or second in traffic, and just coast along without touching anything.

I have a 6i tho, so maybe launching in 2nd with the 6s would be easier and require less feathering / riding of the clutch?

I have a quesion about this... does it strain the transmission at all to drive around in first gear in traffic at like 3k rpm, while maintaining the same throttle input? Ive tried to aviod this as I believe I read it was bad for it, but a definite answer would be nice.

#14 ·
I start in 2nd quite alot.

For example, I'm coming to a stop light and you can anticipate when it turns green. So I slow down to less than 20mph and coast. I'll get to the light when it's green and put it in 2nd or 3rd, depending on the situation and I cheated mr static friction to boot!.

Another common time I start in 2nd is when I'm on a hill and stopped (stop sign/light). Just let off the brake let it get a little speed and pop it in 2nd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.