Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im designing a transmission end shifter bearing adapter to remove the flimsy rubber bushing material that i think leads to missed shifts, especially the 1-2 shift. I think itll end up holding 2 regularly sourced skateboard bearings, wont need any special tools and will take only a couple mins to install.

Itll be made out of Delrin/Acetal on one of my lathes, so the tolerances will be tight and uniform. Im also going to figure out if this can be done on the shifter end as well.

So, before i only make them for me, is anyone interested in them and a ballpark price youd be interested in paying for a complete assembly with bearings? Im going to step out on a ledge and make a guess that the 6 and the 3 will be the same since its the same motor and trans, but would be willing to accept someones measurements.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
So, if I'm reading this correctly, this would install at the trans end instead of, say a short shift plate, right? I'd be interested, and I'm certain the transmissions are the same. You and I have the same car, so the 6 guys need to chime in...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it replaces center bit in the end of the shifter cable, but yes at the trans end. Or both it im successful. Think grommet with a bearing in the middle.

Currently, theres a friction source at both ends. Ive seen people selling hard bushings, but i want to remove the both the friction and flex quotients from the equation. I could simply fill in the rubber bits like people do with motor mounts, but the rubber still flexes and the center is a really thin bit of brass, or plastic, i cant quite tell. Regardless of what it is, even applying white lithium didnt make much of a difference in feel.

Ive got plenty of what i think is 35mm delrin rod and it wouldnt take long to make one, i just gotta rearrange the garage to use the lathe, hoping Saturday to start on it.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Im designing a transmission end shifter bearing adapter to remove the flimsy rubber bushing material that i think leads to missed shifts, especially the 1-2 shift. I think itll end up holding 2 regularly sourced 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 skateboard bearings, wont need any special tools and will take only a couple mins to install.

Itll be made out of Delrin/Acetal on one of my lathes, so the tolerances will be tight and uniform. Im also going to figure out if this can be done on the shifter end as well.

So, before i only make them for me, is anyone interested in them and a ballpark price youd be interested in paying for a complete assembly with bearings? Im going to step out on a ledge and make a guess that the 6 and the 3 will be the same since its the same motor and trans, but would be willing to accept someones measurements.
dope project you working on , best of luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.