Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently put a new clutch on the car. Problem is, it won't shift into gear when I use the shifter. If I play around with it some I can get it to go into (I'm guessing) 3rd gear and maybe 5th gear sometimes. The whole shifter just feels off though, so I'm not sure what gear it's actually in. When I try to go into 1st, it doesn't actually engage all the way. I can however push it into gear with my hand on top of the tranny (battery is still out of the car) and I know the car is in gear because it doesn't roll until I push in the clutch. The shift cables are definitely old and messed up. The car has 148k miles on it. I bought it at an auction and have never driven it. The car did start before, but it wouldn't move because the clutch was so shot. I could freely move the shifter around into all of the gears without the clutch and the car wouldn't die out or make any grinding noises or anything. I originally thought it was the clutch, but now I'm wondering if the car was actually going into gear in the first place. On the shift cables themselves, the part where it's supposed to kind of "snap" onto the bracket or whatever are totally broken now. So I'm pretty certain I need new cables regardless, I'm just curious to know if someone thinks there might be another problem or if the cables should fix it. I can only find them for around 250 bucks and I have heard installing them isn't very fun, but I'm already this far on the car so I might as well just keep going lol.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts