Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, to my suprise, the first thing to go was reverse? i can't do reverse with the car cold anymore, only had an issue once so far once it's warmed up so far. the 1-2 shift is slowly starting to slip as well, but sometimes hits super crisp. i just have to back into spots while the car is warm at this point.

i really don't have the $$ for the tranny swap if i want to do everything at once, so not sure what is going to happen at this point. i don't want to make the 6hour drive twice in 4 months, but might have to at this point? i'll be talking to the fabricator/installer at Laguna Seca in a few weeks, so i'll know more then i guess.

and for the record: tranny has just under 60k on it, put the cooler on at 24k, took the radiator (and primary cooler) our at 48k or so (i'm sure that helped the death along). she's got about 20 trips down the 1/4, 5-10 autox sessions, 8 track days of about 2.5 hours of racing....and just some stupid driving in general thrown in there. turbo's been on for almost 20k, only 2 track days since then though.

sorry, not much more info. never had any AT lights on the dash, 1s time i ever overheated it really was the last track day (without the radiator help). as i find more i'll update. will also be selling the valvebodies if anyone is interested, and can install in socal if needed....but that's a couple months away.

·
Registered
531 Posts
With the power you're running a cooler alone would've been insufficient. It'll still heat up and the clutches/bands would still wear out quickly. A shift-kit would've extended the life but without a full rebuild, there's no saying how long it would've lasted.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry, no speed....time for a focus tranny. i've had the shift kit on the car for about 22k now, don't think it would have lasted this long without it the way i drive. the cooler did well until i removed the stock radiator.

i can still drive the car, just have to think before parking now. i'm sure i'll loose a fwd gear by the feel of it soon though. all i really need is 2nd and 3rd though....to get by at least.

and don't feel sorry, i've been trying to kill this tranny for some time now....i've wanted to get this swap done for a while, but just didn't "plan" for it until Dec/Jan

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
With the power you're running a cooler alone would've been insufficient. It'll still heat up and the clutches/bands would still wear out quickly. A shift-kit would've extended the life but without a full rebuild, there's no saying how long it would've lasted. [/b]

He has valve bodies from lentech. A shift kit similar to CPE's stage 1

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what's else could i do to it? outside of clutches and such, but the plan has always been to swap it out when it died, so that's kinda pointless. the trans kit was more for drivability rather than longevity....revs pretty hard between shifts when boosting....shorter the shift the better the fun. i've been running just a 14k cooler for the last 8k (with a track day) miles which i think was just twisting the knife. so those that swap out for a performance radiator...get better cooling.

·
Registered
822 Posts
So...all you had on the tranny was valvebodies and a tranny cooler???
[/b]

The only reason I ask is i have the same car 03 6i ATX and almost have enough saved up to get the HiBoost kit with Lentech Valve Bodies and a tranny cooler....just want to make sure that my tranny will hold up to it

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
The only reason I ask is i have the same car 03 6i ATX and almost have enough saved up to get the HiBoost kit with Lentech Valve Bodies and a tranny cooler....just want to make sure that my tranny will hold up to it
[/b]
Remember that Bryan is running 15+ psi, not the 8psi that you will be running...

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
And at 8 psi you'll be running some decent HP numbers there..

Tea Good luck with it, you spend the bread to get this far..no point in giving up now

·
Registered
531 Posts
[/b]

Best to ask the people at Lentech. Tell them what your plans are and they should be able to guide you in the right direction. A complete build-up won't be cheap but you will more than likely get the reliability you want.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
suggestion as i've been driving on it for a while. if you can get the TC as well, than i'd go that route. combination of the turbo spooling and the stall at 2300 leads to some lag that doesn't need to be there. the lighter TC with a custom stall would be nice....but cost a bit to get installed obviously. outside of that, you could always order a rebuild kit with better bands/clutches that any tranny shop could install. the stator is plastic is stock form, so upgrading that at high HP levels is recommended as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts