Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't need tires right now, but found a sweet deal.(Save $70 per tire!) How long would be too long to store them before use. I'm hoping I wouldn't need them for at least a year. Thanks for the insight!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I don't need tires right now, but found a sweet deal.(Save $70 per tire!) How long would be too long to store them before use. I'm hoping I wouldn't need them for at least a year. Thanks for the insight!

Jeff
[/b]
More importantly, where's the deal?!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
For DOT-R competition tires, unused tires have a limited shelf life of 1-2 years before the compound begins to harden, resulting in a noticeable performance decrease. For regular all season tires, they probably have a longer shelf life of 2 to 3 years or more.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Jeff
[/b]
If you bag them and store them at room temperature then they will easily keep for a year. Right now my autocross tires are double bagged (use "contractor's trash bags") in a back bedroom we use for storage where they will be safe until next season or when the wife notices them.:D

Slightly off topic-
Older race tires can be brought back with Formula V Traction Treatment. I've used it for years.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

Jeff
[/b]
Well, it depends on how old they are to start with. You can find that out by looking at the serial number (or DOT code) on the sidewall. It's an 11-digit alphanumeric string preceded by the letters DOT. Here's an example:

DOT CXH8 9WC 3403

The numbers you need to be most concerned about are the last four. They indicate when the tire was built, by week and year. In this case, 3403 indicates the tire was built in the 34th week of 2003.

As long as your tires are stored indoors and away from any sources of ozone (ie electric motors), then they should last about 5 years from the date of manufacture. It is generally not recommended that tires be put into service that are 6 years old or older.

·
Registered
44 Posts
passenger tires have a rubber life of 6 years...lol or to get technical use the DOT like TG said and go off of that

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, thanks for all the info guys!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've also heard if you store them dont let them sit on concrete. Put a chunk of cardboard or wood underneath when you stack them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Speaking of stacking...
Place wood or cardboard between concrete and tire, check.
I'll be storing tire/wheels assembled.
Should I put anything in between the wheel/tire assemblies?
How many should I stack: 2 or 4?

Thanks,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts