Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:drive: Just an idea, instead of spending $60-$70(not including shipping) on a functional sharkfin antenna, Has anyone tried to buy a $7 stubby and cover it with an $11 shark fin dummy? It seems like thats basically what the functional ones are anyway. Anyone tried this succesfully?? ;)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
:drive: Just an idea, instead of spending $60-$70(not including shipping) on a functional sharkfin antenna, Has anyone tried to buy a $7 stubby and cover it with an $11 shark fin dummy? It seems like thats basically what the functional ones are anyway. Anyone tried this succesfully?? ;)
[/b]
I don't see why you would do this but I'm not so sure anyone has tried this. We already get decent deals on shark fins with reception.

Shark Fin Group Buy

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
most of the cost associated with the SF has more to do with the custom matching paint job. i suppose if you're looking to save a dime pic up a used off-color SF from ebay, but that too would look like shit.

if you want to go that way get either the stubby or SF.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see why you would do this but I'm not so sure anyone has tried this. We already get decent deals on shark fins with reception.

Shark Fin Group Buy
[/b]

Thanks for the link, but you'r still looking at $67 and I only want one.

most of the cost associated with the SF has more to do with the custom matching paint job. i suppose if you're looking to save a dime pic up a used off-color SF from ebay, but that too would look like shit.

if you want to go that way get either the stubby or SF.
[/b]
I've seen matching factory colors for dummies.

·
Registered
412 Posts
you could give it a shot, tho keep in mind you might be throwing that money away..

One thing that comes to mind is that you may need to shave down the stubby if it doesnt fit under the sharkfin.

If you're going cheap, why bother with the stubby, make your own antenna coil on a bolt :D

And the Group buy isnt for one person to buy many... it's for all the board memebers to buy into one order to get a discount... it's almost down to 59.95 from what i can see.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
it'll hit 59.95 it always does, like 3 times now lol. i love my sharkfin but i do find it gets worse reception than the factory dildo antenna(my personal dubbed name for it lol).

·
Registered
79 Posts
The functional SF is the only way to go. It is not merely a stubby antenna hidden under the shark fin.. The antenna is part of the shark fin. Also the functional SF was designed to fit perfectly over your existing base...I am not sure that the dummy shark fins would be large enough to fit over the stock base.

As for reception, I have a satellite radio so the antenna is basically just picking up the transmission from my satellite receiver but I have not noticed any drop off in signal strength after installing the shark fin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts