Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told I would need this to complete my "BMW" look... :)

Quick Edit:

- Purpose of the last picture is if you look close you will see the alignment of the antenna with the mirror mount in the car....
- Purpose of the angled rear pictures is to show that this thing really is an illusion during installation, your eyes have a hard time getting everything straight...

Installation was done with a tape measure to ensure positioning....

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just installed one of these on my Whitewater Pearl last weekend as well. Have not taken any pics.

Radio reception seems to be slightly below the stock antenna... but I really don't listen to FM or AM. I used mine to hide the factory Sirius antenna. The inside of the SharkFin is completely hollow... PERFECT for hiding it.

Great product.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Looks very nice. I hope mine arrives today! I noticed you placed yours very close to the top edge of the rear glass, is there enough adjustment to possibly move if forward if one was to want it that way? Don't get me wrong, yours looks spot on. I was just thinking, if there isn't much room for adjustment, the install worries should be limited to side to side adjustment. Correct?

I guess I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I just installed one of these on my Whitewater Pearl last weekend as well. Have not taken any pics.

Radio reception seems to be slightly below the stock antenna... but I really don't listen to FM or AM. I used mine to hide the factory Sirius antenna. The inside of the SharkFin is completely hollow... PERFECT for hiding it.

Great product.
[/b]
Does it affect the Sirius reception at all? I have mine on my way from the group buy and didnt want to throw the sirius under there unless it works well.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Does it affect the Sirius reception at all?
[/b]
i'd be concerned about getting sat reception when outside of an area with terrrestrial repeaters. it would suck to be on a long road trip in the middle of nowhere with sat radio. it's less of a concern in built up areas with repeaters.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have been told I would need this to complete my "BMW" look... :)

Quick Edit:

- Purpose of the last picture is if you look close you will see the alignment of the antenna with the mirror mount in the car....
- Purpose of the angled rear pictures is to show that this thing really is an illusion during installation, your eyes have a hard time getting everything straight...

Installation was done with a tape measure to ensure positioning....
[/b]

im a noob so please bare with me..

1) how do you get the original off?
2) how do you secure the new shark-fin
3) did you line it up by "eye" or were there some useable markings?
4) Where do i get mine?

thanks

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
all your questions may be answered at RPM

·
Registered
932 Posts
im a noob so please bare with me..

1) how do you get the original off?
2) how do you secure the new shark-fin
3) did you line it up by "eye" or were there some useable markings?
4) Where do i get mine?

thanks
[/b]
1) you just screw the long antenna part off, the sharkfin will cover the base of the antenna, there are detailed instructions, especially on their website Visual Garage
2) the 3M tape that comes with it
3) I believe he said he used a measuring tape
4) the website mentioned above, Visual Garage or RPM

Correct gang?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
1) you just screw the long antenna part off, the sharkfin will cover the base of the antenna, there are detailed instructions, especially on their website Visual Garage
2) the 3M tape that comes with it
3) I believe he said he used a measuring tape
4) the website mentioned above, Visual Garage or RPM

Correct gang?
[/b]
Yup! you are correct.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wiggum, did you tint your windshield? It looks kinda dark.

I'm so envious of your guys' tint laws. The tint laws here suck. No less than 70% in fronts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i'd be concerned about getting sat reception when outside of an area with terrrestrial repeaters. it would suck to be on a long road trip in the middle of nowhere with sat radio. it's less of a concern in built up areas with repeaters.
[/b]
No problems at all. I live almost 45 minutes outside of Atlanta where there is no terrestrial based transmitters... Only sat signal. Not that it matters becuase the terrestrial based repeaters broadcast in virtually the same manner. If it picks up a terrestrial based signal, it will pick up a sat and vice versa.

The SharkFin is made from a fairly thin plastic, which easilly allows Sat signal to pass through it's surface. Think about it... All Sirius and XM units have the antenna placed inside of a protective plastic housing already. That in itself tells you the signal should pass through the SharkFin fairly easily. Apparently it does.

Allan

·
Registered
489 Posts
So how are you guys routing the Sirius or XM antenna wire if the Sharkfin encloses the antenna?

·
Registered
380 Posts
So how are you guys routing the Sirius or XM antenna wire if the Sharkfin encloses the antenna?
[/b]
By removing the base of the original antenna from underneath the headliner and running the satellite antenna wire through that opening.

·
Registered
932 Posts
By removing the base of the original antenna from underneath the headliner and running the satellite antenna wire through that opening.
[/b]
I heard that on the group buy thread as well. Is that pretty easy to do? I would like to do (or at least attempt) that as well but I haven't checked it out yet. Glad to know the quality of reception isn't messed up from the shark fin!! Finally I can get rid of the ugly stubby and sirius antenna!! I hope it comes today!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
you know, those sharkfins are gonna get old reeeeeally sooooon..... like yesterday....
[/b]

and what, the gay stock antenna will be better? The sharkfin will always look better than that....even if everyone does get one.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I heard that on the group buy thread as well. Is that pretty easy to do? I would like to do (or at least attempt) that as well but I haven't checked it out yet. Glad to know the quality of reception isn't messed up from the shark fin!! Finally I can get rid of the ugly stubby and sirius antenna!! I hope it comes today!!
[/b]
I'll let you know tomorrow. As soon as I get up tomorrow I'm going to try this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
16 Participants
SVOGT
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing