Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have a serious problem with my 6 2004r.
While I drive over 80km/h, steering wheel starts to shake (short left and right moves). Irrespective of speed, each time I let steering wheel the car turns little right. But most problem for me is wheel shaking - it is horrible.

I know that it can be: wheel balance, rotors, maybe bearings...etc.

Till now I have checked drive shafts, tie rods and tie rods end. Moreover I took of pastic casing where rack goes to steering gear. When I move steering wheel (with the engine off) I hear clunk sound from there - see please my video. Can it be the reason of shaking? Do our Mazdas can have such a play on the rack?

help me please to find out what to do... I love my car but since I dive faster than 80km'h the journey is very bothesome :(

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdX90FNv38k

·
Registered
941 Posts
Noise is hard to pinpoint, to me it sounds like normal play in the steering column/u joints. Highly unlikely a rack will cause shaking at speed.

Just changed 4 rotors on my car during a 4whl brake job, cured all my shakes. I do also have brand new tires so that was easy enough to rule out. I'd focus on things that rotate, that is what induces shake in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
141 Posts
How many miles does it have on it? There could be a wide variety of suspension, wheel, and brake issues that would cause a shake like that

·
Registered
52 Posts
have you checked the wheel bearings? if it is only happening at 80km i;d check the bearings
also does it make a low humming sound?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Another way to check is to put the car on jackstands or a lift, then grab the wheel and try to shake it back and forth. That'll tell you if you have any excessive play in any components.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts