Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a rant. But I hate being mislead.

:swearin: :irate:

I remember being told and led to belive that honda/acura's SH-AWD was the worlds most advanced awd system, and that it could transfer 100% of the power to any of the 4 wheels. But after watching dealer testing I started to question this.

At the dealer test they had CX7, Murano, X3 etc. When they wanted to show how good their AWD was they drove two wheels of an RDX onto slipery plastic, and jambed a piece of fire wood under the front tire on the other side. When they started to give it gas the two wheels (left side) where spinning before any of the others, with more gas came more spin until it was able to overcome the fire wood. But the left side wheels kept spinning. This made me wonder and start questioning what I was told. Then they did the same thing with a CX7, and had the same result, although it appreard to require less throttle input. This made me wonder even more. Since our AWD system and the CX7 was supposed to be inferior to the mighty SH-AWD

After looking into it more it looks like there is some word games going on in the Honda commercials. Their system can only transfer 45% of the power to the rear wheels, under hard exceleration or when the fronts start to slip. Then it can split that 45 between the two rears. Not all 100% to any one wheel. And the front diff is open so there is not torque split capabilities up front.

So what I think this means is that the SH-AWD is only able to do a 55/45 versus our 50/50, but then the rear diff is a computer controlled rather than our mechanical diff. Suddenly our system doesnt sound so bad to me.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
To clarify lots of us have been lead to believe that SH-AWD can transfer power to differnet wheels, including one post that said 70%. But I just wanted to let people know that the system on the RDX, (I am not sure about the RL) can only transfer 45% to the rear, and of the 45% then some can be transfered to the outside wheel. This is similar to the SH Prelude that had a computer controled front diff that would do the same.

As for the dealers selecting the wrong demo, this was Acura canada showing dealers.

Just putting the info out there. I know the cars are different and that they are not ment as offroad or 4x4 vehicles. But I hate it when companies try to mislead us. Thats all. The only reason I looked into it was I am also looking at a CX7 or RDX.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.