Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

on the Edmunds forums, there was a post about a SB out there for the exessive brake dust at the front wheels?
Has anyone heard about this? :huh:
Don't want to start rumour..just checking

Thanx

·
Registered
851 Posts
all the mazda's are notorius for excessive brake dust. if there is a tsb i doubt much will be done with it.

if it bothers you that much change to a low dust pad.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the tsb may involve the dealer swapping pads for us, im sure that's why he's interested in finding out.
[/b]
fgraziano: yep, thats the reason for checking with you all. Something like this, if there is any improvement. I can live with the dust but if Mazda has something better under warranty for normal use why not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hate cleaning my wheels not because of dirt but because of the excessive brake dust, such a tedious task cleaning those multispokes

·
Registered
329 Posts
If Mazda wants to replace my pads under warranty who am I to argue :yesnod:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wheel Cleaner

That's what you need for cleaning the wheels, just spray on and let sit while you wash the rest of the car, barely even have to scrub, just spray it off.

Cam

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
those wheel cleaners work a bit, but you still need to scrub the wheel to get it clean. i have tried all types of wheel brushes, and find that an extra large sponge works best.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yea nothing works near as well as doing it the manual way. I bought a Steam cleaner for 200.00 last week tried it and was a big fat waste of money and time, so i returned it then i just bought a high power electric pressure washer 2 days ago, seemed to work ok but with out spoke style it is impossible to get it really clean without using a sponge and your elbow grease. I just returned the pressure washer this morning and still searching for an easier way to clean these wheels cause the brake dust is very excessive once a week i have to clean them to make me happy with the way they look. If anyone has a proven system that works as well as manual way without the manual hours of labor I am all ears and would love to hear it. Yes i know i can buy less dust brake pads i already looked into it and will try them out next. but still like my wheels very spotless.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Not very sophisticated but I've found a quick wipe down with an old towel in between car washes seems to help. The dust comes off pretty easily so long as there's not too much and the rims haven't gotten wet. It takes just a minute or two per rim. Plus it makes it easier when you you do get around to washing the car.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I really want to know about this too. It's annoying when I clean my car and go for a quick drive and my wheels are already caked in brake dust. I shouldn't have to clean them every time I drive the car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really want to know about this too. It's annoying when I clean my car and go for a quick drive and my wheels are already caked in brake dust. I shouldn't have to clean them every time I drive the car.[/b]
Thanks for bringing this back on the radar. I believe we have a couple of members working at a Mazda Dealership. should be easy enough to find out if such a thing exists or not.

:sarc: During my First oil change the routine inspection mentioned. "Front rims dirty" :)

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
When I took my car to the dealer last week all the asked about was the reflash. I dunno sounds like baloni to me but please somone find out by all meens.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Don't forget you can wax your wheels as well. Helps keep dust from sticking to them and makes the dust slide off during a spray down. Although wheels cleaners will eat right through wax I believe.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yea Gandalf ive heard of that also. Someone also mentioned rain-x???? Havent tried it but it sounds like it might work. I wonder (if there is any truth to this) what mazda would do? Replace brake pads with a less "dust prone" pad is all I can think of.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yea Gandalf ive heard of that also. Someone also mentioned rain-x???? Havent tried it but it sounds like it might work. I wonder (if there is any truth to this) what mazda would do? Replace brake pads with a less "dust prone" pad is all I can think of.[/b]
In all truth the high dust pads are very likely the reason we have such great braking numbers though - so getting new pads may also worsen braking.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Using a wheel wax really helps. I'm going to try the rain-X next............

·
Registered
498 Posts
In all truth the high dust pads are very likely the reason we have such great braking numbers though - so getting new pads may also worsen braking.[/b]
I'm inclined to think these two bits of information are linked also. I've had my car three weeks and it takes less than a week for the dust to build up. A no-touch high pressure car wash doesn't even put a dent in the dust. I went a week and a half the first time and it looked like I was neglecting her. Now I know why I see so many BMWs with dirty front wheels. This never happened on my Protege5.

Once the weather improves (it is snowing now) I will give the car a good cleaning and I'll put a few coats of wax on the wheels to see if it helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts