Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, belt on my Mazda snapped today, need new one fast, would this belt be the right one for 3rd gen Dayco Drive Belt 6PK1195 from Euro-parts, and how easy are they to fit? Do I need a special tool to do so?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You need the tensioner too which is the likely reason for failure. If you're looking for fast I usually try to search part numbers from rockauto on Amazon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oh poop. That part number seems right though. Shows up in rockauto as Bando instead of dayco but same number. I still maintain that you should replace the tensioner also though. No special tools required.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Whether the tensioner needs replacement is a question of its condition. It's easily checked without removing it -- if the idler wheel is undamaged, there is no play discernible in its bearing, and the shock is in good condition (no evidence of the oil leaking out of it) then I wouldn't change it.

I don't change good parts without a solid reason to do so; there's ALWAYS a risk of getting a lemon on the replacement no matter where you source it and then you get to do the job twice.

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
Whether the tensioner needs replacement is a question of its condition. It's easily checked without removing it -- if the idler wheel is undamaged, there is no play discernible in its bearing, and the shock is in good condition (no evidence of the oil leaking out of it) then I wouldn't change it.

I don't change good parts without a solid reason to do so; there's ALWAYS a risk of getting a lemon on the replacement no matter where you source it and then you get to do the job twice.
You beat me to it - my belt snapped (unexpectedly) well before the tensioner needed replacement. Checked tensioner while replacing the belt and it was totally good to go. Will probably need it next time though (which is soon).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

All checks on tensioner looks good, problem I have now is the way the belt goes on, cannot find anything on net for my car. if someone has a diagram would be great help.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Yep And be aware -- that wrench is a fairly tight fit in there with your fingers, and it's pretty easy if you don't have a tensioner wrench (which is nice and long) to get pretty-badly pinched, especially if it slips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well all do and dusted, belt is on car runs, but battery management system warning coming, is this normal, I guess it needs a drive to charge battery.
Thanks all for your fast help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alternator shows its charging 13.8 volts so all seems ok with that, hopefully warning will go off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just let everyone know who helped me, my car is all good now, working like it should, thanks for all your help.

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
Just let everyone know who helped me, my car is all good now, working like it should, thanks for all your help.
Glad it worked out! That's why we're here :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts