Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(SOLVED) Rotate Drive Belt Tensioner Clockwise

*********** see that last two posts **********

I never had a belt tensioner go bad on me so I'm curious if anyone else with a 6 has had it happen to them?

We have a 2012 2.5L w. 88k+ mi from sunny FL and since the belt has been squeaking on and off for 30k+ mi, I finally decided to replace it. It does need to be replaced.

I know you're supposed to go in through the wheel well to do the job but my laziness will not be denied and I grabbed a 15mm wrench and slid under the car. The wrench was on the pulley SOLID and no matter which way I tried to rotate, it would not budge.

I'm pretty strong and on cars with room (V8s) can normally release the tensioner by hand so I was a little stymied when this thing wouldn't budge with all my force at the end of a wrench! I was mainly rotating counter-clockwise but also tried clockwise too and found that had less give.

I assume I was on the right pulley (bottom, rear of engine) and the pulley bolt is where you release the tension ... Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok - got it replaced by going in through the top of the engine with a 15mm wrench ... it helps A LOT when you rotate the tensioner in the right direction (clockwise)

Biggest lesson I learned from this is googling "Mazda 6 serpentine belt" will get you nowhere - the correct nomenclature is "Mazda 6 drive belt" - that yielded the results I needed to determine what direction to turn the tensioner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
come to find out bike pedals are 15mm and I think I'm going to buy a $30 bike pedal wrench next time I have to change the belt - they're very thin because they're made of stamped steel and the handles are very long (relative to my 7" long wrench) - should make the job a lot easier

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Serpentine Belt Tool Kit

You want one of these.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thank God we have a local Harbor Freight because my tensioner pulley bearings are going bad so I'll be back into it again .. lol

Started the car this morning and heard a rhythmic noise under hood and upon closer inspection, noticed the tensioner pulley moving back and forth.

Btw, just called the stealership for pricing on a new pulley - only comes as a complete tensioner assembly = $272 !!! lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts