Mazda 6 Forums banner

Serpentine Belt Routing

75K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Bellibutton 
#1 ·
I thought I could remember where it was and how to put it back on, but I've taken off the serpentine belt and now i'm not sure how to route it back on there. Does anyone have a belt routing diagram?

I've tried to search for one and have come up empty handed. Thanks guys!

#2 ·
this help?

Attachments

#4 ·
Np.

#6 ·
Having two people makes it so much easier. Get underneath the car and use a long 1/2" breaker bar on the tensioner (pull down towards you). There's a little lip under the car (can't remember exactly where, but you'll know when you're under the car) that you can wedge the breaker bar under to hold tension on the pulley. Then it's a piece of cake. Have the other person run the belt up top while you do the work on bottom.

#9 ·
I need to change mine on a 3.0 V6. Are there any tricks or suggestions to make the the change easier? Doesn't look like tehre is much room to manuver. Any tips would be appreciated!
[/b]
hey guys, my question: doesn't the belt loop through the tensioner pulley and its mounting location on the block? If so how do you get the belt out without removing the tensioner?

Maybe there is a relief in tensioner pulley and the belt can slide off but I can't see it.

can anyone verify how simple and how much time it would take?

#10 ·
QUOTE (Sassafras @ Oct 9 2006, 06:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=812203
hey guys, my question: doesn't the belt loop through the tensioner pulley and its mounting location on the block? If so how do you get the belt out without removing the tensioner?

Maybe there is a relief in tensioner pulley and the belt can slide off but I can't see it.

can anyone verify how simple and how much time it would take?[/b]

Hello - I just replaced both the serpentine and water pump belts on my 2004 6s. trickdout6 had great advice and hopefully I can add to it. Space is tight with the main belt and wiggling the belt around the tensioner is the biggest challenge I had. We had to hold the tensioner open while we moved the new belt into place. To gain access, we also came from underneath and removed the plastic panels in the wheel well

What caused me to change the belts was excessive noise after 65k.

#12 ·
QUOTE (ajgonzales @ Aug 24 2006, 09:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=771787
Having two people makes it so much easier. Get underneath the car and use a long 1/2" breaker bar on the tensioner (pull down towards you). There's a little lip under the car (can't remember exactly where, but you'll know when you're under the car) that you can wedge the breaker bar under to hold tension on the pulley. Then it's a piece of cake. Have the other person run the belt up top while you do the work on bottom.[/b]
+1 on the breaker bar, if you can get one in there. and definitely have 2 people.

QUOTE (Sassafras @ Oct 9 2006, 08:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=812203

can anyone verify how simple and how much time it would take?[/b]
You just kind of have to slip the belt in between the block and the tensioner. Kinda a pain in the ass, but it works. Just put it down sideways and sort of slide it down sideways and then turn it underneath, if that makes any sense.

#13 ·
hey Guys,
This is the second time that I have come to this site and the information that I have found has helped me out with both. You guys are the best. THank you again for all the help.
Dawn ( Time2zm ).

QUOTE (Atlec @ Jul 7 2006, 02:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727849
I thought I could remember where it was and how to put it back on, but I've taken off the serpentine belt and now i'm not sure how to route it back on there. Does anyone have a belt routing diagram?

I've tried to search for one and have come up empty handed. Thanks guys![/b]

#17 ·
I have 115k on my original serpentine belt. Yup, it's still on there, but I finally bought a new one from autozone to install during my next oil change.

Once I get the old belt out , is it easiest to feed the new on in from the bottom or top of the engine? Is it helpful or necessary to remove the plastic wheel well panels? Finally, in regards to releasing the tensioner, is that done simply by wedging a breaker bar in to hold it open? Or is it torqued by the mounting bolt (which is what worked for the water pump pulley) ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.