Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being thouroughly disguisted with the performance of my new mazda 6s, has gotten me to turn it into another project :D

I am getting ready to start buying the things I need to get the turbo set up on my car. I've got a pretty good idea of where I'm going to put it, and how it's going to be run. There are just a few things I'm unsure of for right now, although nothing major.

My experience thus far has mainly been with Mustangs, a few Camaros, and lately Motorcycles.....All of which have a huuuuuge aftermarket to support them and most of the guesswork has been ironed out.

I was going to buy the CPE intake kit this week, but figured since I'd be doing the turbo install real soon that I might as well not bother with the pain of buying it just to resell it in a month or so.

I've got most of the specs ironed out...i.e. type of turbo, desired power level, plumbing, blah blah blah.

What I'm most concerned with now are the oiling solution and the engine management solution.

Also the plumbing solution I'm ok with, but I'd like to get a better idea of the current exhast and how it's plumbed.

My main concerns with the kit are pretty much 3-fold. In order of importance are driveability, reliability and a close 3rd POWER. I plan on doing this install so that it will be relatively easy to uninstall should I need to. I plan on keeping the power level right around 250 to the tire, with 6psi or less. At least until the kinks are ironed out and a perfect tuning solution can be acheieved.

As for oiling, is there a way to plumb it without tapping the oil pan? An example would be a late model Camaro that has a plug near the filter that allows for easy access to get to oiling. Is the only option for the Mazda punching the pan? If so that's not a huge deal but just wondering?

Also, has anyone used any type of piggy back for the Mazda yet? If so what works well as of right now.

I'm thinking maybe 5 psi. so something that can manage that relatively low boost level. Any other thoughts, I know there are at least two guys with turbos on 6s that must have some sort of tuning ideas.

Laterz,
Forrest

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
You can purchase an oil block adapter, none that come to mind, but I know someeone here has it, but I think its for their 2.3L.

Check my sig, I have a turbo kit already made for sale. Will not work on the 06 models, because of the exhaust system design (as far as headers/downpipe).

The oil pan I will give with the kit, includes an outlet to the turbo.

As for engine mgmt, Uniship should be ok for 6psi. It is the only plug and play available that can tune both fuel and timing. A local Unichip tuner uoted me $400 for the install and complete dyno tune.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can purchase an oil block adapter, none that come to mine, but I know someeone here has it, but I think its for their 2.3L.

Check my sig, I have a turbo kit already made for sale. Will not work on the 06 models, because of the exhaust system design (as far as headers/downpipe).

The oil pan I will give with the kit, includes an outlet to the turbo.

As for engine mgmt, Uniship should be ok for 6psi.
[/b]

I think I've seen some pics of your kit.

How was the tuning done with your car, was it the unichip? And how well did it work for you?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I never had it tuned, ended up having money problems, then I was about to install it, then decided I wanted a MTX. I now drive a Speed6.

at 6psi, you should be fine with the tranny and engine. 9psi, you want to upgrade or do some tranny work, so it can hold all the power.

What year is your 6? ATx or MTx?

·
Registered
788 Posts
It's just not practical...If you are that unhappy...why not sell and buy an STi for example??? The 6S can do 14's in the quarter with air box mod...not bad...turbo=too much trouble...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never had it tuned, ended up having money problems, then I was about to install it, then decided I wanted a MTX. I now drive a Speed6.

at 6psi, you should be fine with the tranny and engine. 9psi, you want to upgrade or do some tranny work, so it can hold all the power.

What year is your 6? ATx or MTx?
[/b]

It's an MTX. I don't plan on running anything over 6psi. I don't plan on turning it into a super sleeper or anything.

It's just not practical...If you are that unhappy...why not sell and buy an STi for example??? The 6S can do 14's in the quarter with air box mod...not bad...turbo=too much trouble...
[/b]

Well, I wouldn't have a problem with that. Funny too cause I just saw an Evo RS at the dealer I bought my car from. It was stickered at 29K, and I'd get it at invoice because of were I work.

I'd go for it but I'd take too huge of a hit if I traded it in. If the dealer was willing to give me close to what I paid for it I'd do it.

But the install I plan on doing is going to be pretty trick if I get it worked out the way I want.....which I should be able to do. It's not going to be too much of a pain I think, which Is why I like the idea of building one almost from scratch.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
...until you pass a new MR on the track and he looks at you like WTF?!?!?

the pan you have PRacing is tapped for return, not supply or outlet, just to clear that up. you can tap for supply in many places, usually by the filter is best, though i don't have the V6, so there might be an easier route for you. you can get a banjo for a return that screws into you stock pan, it's not ideal as far as flow of oil, but it will work and if you are only running 6psi, you should be fine with that. just find out the thread specs on you're bolt and hit up a Earl's Plumbing dealer and they'll set you up.

i would watch what turbo you are putting on also if you just planning on topping out at 6psi. 31lbs or 450cfm roughly at 6500. this will be on the trailing edge of most maps, and will get better as you raise boost, with a typical peak efficiency right around 4500 or so, which should be nice for the car. here's a few maps i found that are close i'd guess.

what did you have in mind by the way?

http://cherrypicker.tripod.com/sitebuilder.../gt2871r-48.jpg

http://cherrypicker.tripod.com/sitebuilder...06h-20g-cfm.gif

http://cherrypicker.tripod.com/sitebuilder...res/to4b-s3.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would like to add something to this thread. May help with your install/ tuning as well. The following is a discussion between me and Ripp Mods in MD. Though its a super charger, these guys really solved alot of issues with programing the mitsu eclipse ECU when aftermarket support was low.

I may be headed up there in a couple weeks. (Have allot of mods Im currently working on.)

---------
We did take a look at a Mazda 3.0 but I remember it being real tight in there, if you have any members willing to come down to our R&D shop it would be appreciated so we can look it over.

For the record the SDS fitment has always been spot on, it the electronics that gave our SDS package issues…

But in terms of electronics we now have an in house DYNO and electronics’ engineer who R&D’s our new kits

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I used to be a member of club 3g and remember all the work you put into the SDS for the 3.0 gt. I remember there were allot of problems with fitment in the 3g. I still have my 3g but also purchased a 2003 Mazda 6 3.0 engine and some of the same issues exist. (i.e. only space on right side of engine, tuning issues ect..) Have you done any work on Mazda 6s or do you think a custom SDS may be possible? I’m sure there are others interested in a SDS for our Mazda on mazda6club.com. Please let me know if you have any questions or ideas.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
though always a possiblity, until the system is working on the car, it's all a guess. "theoretically" Unichip works, Haltech works, Emanage works and now Unichip works. Unichip is the only one to SHOW it on a V6, though it wasn't a turbo setup. The other 3 have all been used on the 2.3 setup, so "should" work on the V6 with some wiring trickery. there is i believe, 3 or 4 different ecu's used between 03 and now between the 2 engines....so who knows?

the more people that get their cars to these tuners, the more options we'll either have, or get out of the way.

·
Registered
145 Posts
MR TEA....

how would unichip be a sufficient tune for 6psi. how would you have to order it? i know it comes pretuned with different settings for different modifications to the car, so which one would you order to sustain 6psi of boost on our engine V6, thanks.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
MR TEA....

how would unichip be a sufficient tune for 6psi. how would you have to order it? i know it comes pretuned with different settings for different modifications to the car, so which one would you order to sustain 6psi of boost on our engine V6, thanks.
[/b]
The only settings they offer it with are stock, injen intake, and exhaust. To do a turbo setup you have to have it custom tuned.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
You would probably be off to a good start with the setup that PRacing has, then you need (as has been said) tuning to finish it.

If you do go through with the project, please take lots of pictures and post them all!

Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
what kind of tuning would need to be done at 6psi exactly? if anyone knows anything about fine tuning, please tell me what you would do for this situation? also, how do u think the engine will run at 6psi without tuning? on a t3/t4 hyrbrid turbo with a .63 ar on turbo housing and .48 compressor?

·
Registered
145 Posts
i know that, i meant specifically, what would u do with timing, and what about fuel injection? what basic tuning would you do specifically?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
at 6psi I doubt the car will explode. But it will run like shit. If anything I wouldn't want the CPE- mafci on it since it will make the car run more lean and the turbo will only enhance it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow....I would think that someone, somewhere has come up with a base map for this thing with a similiar setup?

I would like to think I could find a shop with a dyno in the area but that's appearing to be a problem.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The 6 (especially the v6) isn't mod friendly. With all the headaches involved sometimes it's easier to trade to the setup you really want. You mentioned reliability, well, look around here, even with a simple setup as the CP-E, reliability is reduced. Seems like the 2.3 is a lot easier to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
don't know about easier to deal with, but is more forgiving in many cases. but there are just as many mazda3 guys with blown engines as V6 6ers.

as far as tuning, you'd need larger injectors to makes sure there is good fuel while in boost (even 6psi). and in boost, timing should be retarded. someone MIGHT (and in no way am i saying to do this) be able to get away with it now, by using the cpe setup with larger injectors and a J&S Safeguard for timing, with a little tuning and knowhow.

but the cost of cpe & J&S will be in the $800 range....you could just spend another 5-600 and get Microtech full standalone and be ready for anything that comes your way....and take it to your next car if needed.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
About this Discussion
71 Replies
23 Participants
PRacing
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing