Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is the JL boner on this forum so huge?

Is it because most of you arent aware of other companies that sell better product for less?

Did someone tell you JL was the best and not to bother with anything else?

Did the shop that ripped you off paying full retail tell you it was the best?

I will admit that JL makes some incredible products but the price to performance ratio just doesnt add up for me. There is a whole other world of car audio products out there that I can guarantee most of you arent even aware of.

Thats all for now. Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.....

·
Registered
58 Posts

Is it because most of you arent aware of other companies that sell better product for less?

Did someone tell you JL was the best and not to bother with anything else?

Did the shop that ripped you off paying full retail tell you it was the best?
I will admit that JL makes some incredible products but the price to performance ratio just doesnt add up for me. There is a whole other world of car audio products out there that I can guarantee most of you arent even aware of.
Thats all for now. Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.....[/b]

I only get JL when I can get it for really good prices, like my 500/1 I got for $250 from someone who needed quick cash. The 15" w6 I got from my cousin for $100 who had it sitting in his garage for 5 years because it was too big for his Mustang. This guy who does car shows sold his car and was liquidating his system entirely so I got the 450/4 for 375. I think JL is a great company with good reliability and performance and if you can get it for good prices they offer products that will last for a really long time so I won't have to continually be buying new stuff.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We built a caprice at the shop a few moths back with four 12" W0's that were like six years old and they wanged. never blew. I dont completely hate JL. just think there are alot of people over here who dont realize the grass is greener on the other side.

G

·
Hello, site looks great but I wanted to comment.

JL is pretty good, but like Mike said they are way overpriced. Hell I went to Tweeter the other day and asked for an amp kit and it was 120 for a regular 4 guage amp kit. Why? Thats what I asked him, he said it was top of the line stuff. I asked him what was top of the line? The sticker that was on the Fuse box? Or was it that it said JL on the red speaker wire? What does JL use some kind of diff copper that we dont know about that is so good? I would also like to know.

The big companys are sponsored by them and I guess it makes people go crazy over them.. idk?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have JL because it is the only setup that I've heard that made me have to know what it was when I heard it for the first time. (BTW, I have heard plenty of setups) Music is my life and livelyhood, and I am truly impressed in the quality---and quality of sound that they bring. Sure, there might be some other company that is bangin, but until I hear it, I will stick with mine.

Plus, I think that their products look really clean and finished without the need for chrome spinner D.J. Funkystyle grille covers or some wierd pentagon shapes that, frankly just do nothing for me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have JL because it is the only setup that I've heard that made me have to know what it was when I heard it for the first time. (BTW, I have heard plenty of setups) Music is my life and livelyhood, and I am truly impressed in the quality---and quality of sound that they bring. Sure, there might be some other company that is bangin, but until I hear it, I will stick with mine.

Plus, I think that their products look really clean and finished without the need for chrome spinner D.J. Funkystyle grille covers or some wierd pentagon shapes that, frankly just do nothing for me.[/b]

interesting.....

·
Registered
293 Posts

Did someone tell you JL was the best and not to bother with anything else?[/b]
Its because JL is a big name and they're all over the place, sure there are companies that are better than them, but they are the best known. Its like asking someone what their favorite kind of iced tea is, and they say nestea or lipton or something like that, because its a big brand, when its a little known fact that pathmark makes the best iced tea mix out there (they make some serious iced tea, you should try it)

Its not that everyone has this JL boner because they think that JL is the one and only great company, they just dont know better. :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Its because JL is a big name and they're all over the place, sure there are companies that are better than them, but they are the best known. Its like asking someone what their favorite kind of iced tea is, and they say nestea or lipton or something like that, because its a big brand, when its a little known fact that pathmark makes the best iced tea mix out there (they make some serious iced tea, you should try it)

Its not that everyone has this JL boner because they think that JL is the one and only great company, they just dont know better. :)[/b]

I don't think that they are the "only great company"... I'm just going from experience. If I hear a better setup, then I will change, but until then.... JL will follow me wherever I go, simply because it is in my trunk.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think that they are the "only great company"... I'm just going from experience. If I hear a better setup, then I will change, but until then.... JL will follow me wherever I go, simply because it is in my trunk.[/b]

You should seriousley get out more. hit up some local competitions and see what available.

G

·
I was just fixing to say the same thing.. Get out more, chrome dj funk looking stuff? I guess you just have heard some teenagers audiobahns that have them inverted to show off the cool ass flames? I guess you would say they look good. A solid black cone with the model written real small in the bottom.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was just fixing to say the same thing.. Get out more, chrome dj funk looking stuff? I guess you just have heard some teenagers audiobahns that have them inverted to show off the cool ass flames? I guess you would say they look good. A solid black cone with the model written real small in the bottom.[/b]

Are we not in agreement here? both uf us are trashing the flames and crap--unless I totally misunderstood what you were saying, but I don't think I did.

I am saying that I like that clean look of the JLs, not some flames and wierd shapes and lights and flashy stuff. Just a nice clean look with a nice clean sound. I guess I am the only one here who actually did JLs right, or someone would back me up. I had my friend who is a sound engineer with me that runs the sound at a Wild Wings and runs his own studio set the EQ and crossovers and it sounds un-freakin-believable.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, to all nay-sayers... I'm not the JL spokesman, and nothing that I could say would make you go out and buy a new setup, and I am pretty sure that nothing anyone would say would make me buy different either.

BTW, what do all of you guys have installed that I need to check out?

·
Registered
394 Posts
jl had some good stuff like 4 or 5 years ago, but was still over priced. but there new stuff is flat ass garbage. they have upped the prices for lesser quality stuff, but yet people rant and rave about how great they are. all my stereo equipment is zapco amps, morel mids and treo subs and people always look at my stuff and think it is some cheap knock off brand equipment cuz it isnt over promoted like jl audio.

·
Registered
705 Posts
People who say Morel, Zapco, or Treo are knock off brands, have no reason to be judging or saying anything about car audio. They should just be happy with the top of the best buy line, and be happy.

I'm a huge JL fan, but I have to agree there is a lot more out there thats better. Most of it is around the same price or cheaper too. But just like anything else in business, people pay for brand recognition. Thats just how business is...

If a company becomes very mainstream and they make good stuff, they can get away with marking up the prices. By the same reason, thats why Zapco, Morel, CDT Audio, US Amps, etc... those brands, while they are known throughout the car audio industry as top of the line brands...they are not main stream, because the companies are selective with shops they let be authorized dealers. Which is a good thing. You're not gonna find any of these at major installer chains..(Custom Sounds, Audio Express, Tweeter, Best Buy, CC....) Stuff you are gonna find in those national chains is gonna be the main stream brands, like your kicker, alpine, JL, kenwood..etc.. That how JL gets away with such high prices, because when you compare them to other brands in their class..They are the top dog! But if you were comparing brands by prices and quality, sure there's a lot better out there, but most people go to a shop and buy everything and have everything put in.

Cause you don't have to be into car audio to know who kicker, alpine, or JL is. But you almost have to know a thing or two about car audio to know who Zapco, Morel, or Treo is...

That is all I have...

·
Registered
539 Posts
jl had some good stuff like 4 or 5 years ago, but was still over priced. but there new stuff is flat ass garbage. they have upped the prices for lesser quality stuff, but yet people rant and rave about how great they are. all my stereo equipment is zapco amps, morel mids and treo subs and people always look at my stuff and think it is some cheap knock off brand equipment cuz it isnt over promoted like jl audio.[/b]

I had two friends had Treo subs, in an '84 Jimmy and a '93 mustang.... Both of them got rid of them after I got my stuff and bought JL because they suddenly realized that the subs were supposed to actually sound good, not just loud.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had two friends had Treo subs, in an '84 Jimmy and a '93 mustang.... Both of them got rid of them after I got my stuff and bought JL because they suddenly realized that the subs were supposed to actually sound good, not just loud.[/b]

That is the single most ignorant thing ive ever heard a JL Fan boy say!

I bet you have broken alot of windows in your car or past cars havent you......

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would also like to hear others ideas and suggestions

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.