Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really thinking of getting the 6 soon but still not sure whether to get the sedan or hatch. Is the luxury model worth it? heck i am not even sure i want to get the manual or auto. Guys if you could helep out and tell me the pro and cons will be good. Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Reading Topic: Sedan vs Hatch

Get the manual hatch in whatever spec you desire.

The luxo is great but as some reviews have said it is a lot extra to pay for the leather, bose, hole in the roof, body kit etc etc. I got the auto only so the good lady wife could transport the tin lids.

I wish i'd got the manual.....sigh and WHEN we get the V6 option I will be getting the manual (I hope)

·
Registered
922 Posts

I am getting a M6 soon myself and i'm yet to pick between the sedan or hatch, so i can't help you with that one..

But i can say without a doubt get the Manual! 4cyl are made for manual, well i think so anyway..;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

1 for the hatch 0 for sedan
i would have choose for manual but i am worried about my missus driving it since she havent driven manual of a long time. How's the activematic anyway, can't find much review on how good or crappy it is.

·
Registered
231 Posts

I reckon if you are going for the body kit the hatch is the way to go. Or if you need the gaping maw of a boot.

Without the body kit the Sedan really gets the nod. The back window makes the car sit more agressively. Plus it saves you $1000.

Your best bet is to decide which package you want then decide between the body types. It worked for me when I was stuck.

Myself I just purchased a silver classic sedan with a wing. The classic package is very very good, the interior is very comfortable. I don't know if I could justify the extra $5000 for leather seats, bose and 6 airbags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the comments guys, classic really sounds like a good deal but i like the sunroof does anyone knows how much an aftermarket one cost and are there any good. Anyone with the luxury could you tell me is it worth the $$$

·
Registered
322 Posts

Got a luxo hatch here... LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the bose :)
Take a CD in and test out the standard stereo and then the bose, see which you prefer... I think that the bose was the main selling point for me :p

The leather's nice to have too, it's my first car with leather and was kinda a peer pressure thing, all my friends recently bought luxo cars with leather, so I couldn't just get cloth now could I? :p

Sunroof is nice when you actually get a chance to drive with it open... because I drive south in the morning, the sunlight flickers into my eyes as I drive past trees/etc and drive north in the evening the same thing happens, so I have to keep it closed or suffer much hampered vision. It's nice when you're cruising the great ocean road or whatever to run with the roof open though :)

The 17" alloys look real good, but I heard you can only get up to 16" on the classic. Then again that's not a problem if you plan to go aftermarket.

Activematic is fun enough, but I wish to hell I had bought a manual. I've been driving the car like a manual since about the third week of owning it, so that's my only regret. Then again you can only get manual in the luxo sports, and I didn't want the bodykit.

Is it worth the $$$?
Classic Hatch Auto RRP $34,785
Luxo Hatch Auto RRP $41,270
Net upgrade Auto RRP $6,485

Classic Hatch Manual RRP $32,705
Luxo Hatch Sports Manual RRP $41,170
Net upgrade Manual RRP $8,465

For the auto, I guess the upgrade to bose and sunroof and leather would be worth that extra 6k, but for the manual it's not looking so impressive... I guess you're paying for the body kit. Gotta ask yourself do you want the kit? I think the kit looks ugly, personally, plus I'm scared of low cars considering how I drive over speedbumps :p

Expect to pay another 5-8k more on top of RRP for delivery and accessories. I ended up paying 48k for my luxo when I got the options added... I was hoping to be able to screw them down to 38k but wasn't I in for a surprise :p

Oh well, I'm still happy, just means I have to pay it off over 5 yrs instead of 3 :)

-- Rainchild

Yay Rinoa :)

·
Registered
510 Posts

Hi,
I own a Luxury Auto Hatch (Not sports Model..)

If I had my chance again , I probably would go for manual,
so thats either Classic Hatch, or Luxury Sports hatch...

But I definitely prefer Hatch to Sedan........regardless of what model.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Hey Kai im looking for a sunroof which im might get latter on when i get the M6 hatch in April hopefully.
a friend of mine installed a sunroof less than a year ago on a Nissan 200SX and the company did an excellent job. this was the website www.webasto.com.au/main/fs_sunroofs.htm
he got the Stratos 300 and was very nice. professionally done. cost $1700

he said to do it during winter when there is not much cars being done so the price will be lower than in summer when there will be heaps of cars to do.

im gettting a Black Mazda classic hatch in April and deciding on whether to get the Stratos 300 or 700

·
Registered
119 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Sedan vs Hatch'

Originally posted by Rainchild

Activematic is fun enough, but I wish to hell I had bought a manual.  I've been driving the car like a manual since about the third week of owning it, so that's my only regret.  Then again you can only get manual in the luxo sports, and I didn't want the bodykit.

-- Rainchild

Yay Rinoa :)[/b]
Only get a manual ? What the ? If i've got a manual, how come I got no clutch pedal in my Luxo Sports Hatch? Those scoundrels at mazda musta slipped a clutch pedalless manual in without telling me....... & to think I paid 2 grand extra for activematic and now I dont have it:D

The luxo sports is buckets of cash more and you do have to weigh up the ultimate value. Its all good gear BUT for bulk extra cash. May hold resale a touch better as well.

The bose, its good & better than most standard car stereos but it would still be better value to order standard stereo & then replace it with aftermarket hi quality stereo if real sound is your passion. I want better aftermarket exhaust sound NOT stereo sound so bose stays for moment.

the leather is good & worth it. Stays cool, breathes, easy to clean spills, comfy & you'd never think dead cow could stink so good. Its a must.

6 airbags is comforting but I hope I never have need for a pillow party in my 6. Still....

ABS is Ok, except on dirt like many ABS systems. make sure you know what she feels like as it is very different in M6 compared to other ABS cars Ive driven at the limit of braking ability, pity its not switchable.

Hole in the roof is a poseur gimmick but if you must cut the metal get factory not aftermarket. I couldn't delete it from my model so shit happens I got it.

Activematic is good, as a manual at 3500rpm plus. Below that in auto mode it just doesn't do it, but blame the low torque not the box for most of that although lower gearing would also help acceleration. Understeers (very predictable and controllable) at the limit but that limit is HUGE and I've only really found it when fanging it at Wakefield. Kiss bye bye to two potenzas every time too, not cheap but super sticky.

I want a bolt on snail & 50kws extra for xmas the chassis will so easily handle 170kws plus.

Just have to wait for M6 APS awd & 206kws watch out subie sti !

Overall I love my 6, but gen111 5.7l V8 from last car is still hard to not live with, torque wise only as rets of GMH is so crap compared to mazda.

·
Registered
237 Posts

you should really get a manual.. i think there has been some specs released from US cars. where the v6 mazda auto is slower to 100 than the i4 mazda manual. and besides, manual is so much more fun to drive.. I got a sedan myself, but if i was the one actually paying for it (and i could) i'd get the hatch decked out ;) but then again for that price i might have bought another car altogether.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts