Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering. This is my first car with OBD II. Do manufacturers make updates available for these cars? I was wondering if they may update the software to improve the power train. ie Performance, Shifting, gas mileage, etc.?

The reason I ask is it seams like the 2009 s is a little soft on the downshift. If I slam the gas the car doesn't seem to go down enough gears to throw me back in the seat.

I used to drive a Ford Probe with and automatic and when you slam the gas that car would aggressively down shift and take off whining up to high RPMs. I would love to have a little more aggressive shifting program in this 6s.

Also, Is there a way to see what version of the firmware is loaded in the car?

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (Tom Z @ Feb 4 2010, 09:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634935
I was just wondering. This is my first car with OBD II. Do manufacturers make updates available for these cars? I was wondering if they may update the software to improve the power train. ie Performance, Shifting, gas mileage, etc.?

The reason I ask is it seams like the 2009 s is a little soft on the downshift. If I slam the gas the car doesn't seem to go down enough gears to throw me back in the seat.

I used to drive a Ford Probe with and automatic and when you slam the gas that car would aggressively down shift and take off whining up to high RPMs. I would love to have a little more aggressive shifting program in this 6s.

Also, Is there a way to see what version of the firmware is loaded in the car?[/b]

Use manual mode and downshift yourself one or two gears,big differance.....................at least in my old gen 1 6s it was,should be the same for Gen2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (Tom Z @ Feb 4 2010, 07:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634935

Also, Is there a way to see what version of the firmware is loaded in the car?[/b]
There seems to be one. Check out my previous post below. :drive:

ECM TSB - 2009 M6 i

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here is short desc of that ECM update.

"On certain 2010 CX-7 vehicles and 2009-2010 Mazda6 vehicles, a readiness status code, which is used for OBD-II Readiness Test, may be incorrectly set due to improper programming of the evaporative monitoring system."

I agree with you on the shifting, its my least favorite feature of car. For me it is mainly 3-1 downshift. When slowing down it just loves keeping in 3rd, so when I try to accelerate after slowing for stop it barely moves because its still in 3rd, and then because its barely moving I give it more gas, then it suddenly shoots forward after downshifting to 1st. I think my style of driving and this transmission just do not match : P

Also whats annoying(and dangerous) is fact that if you push pedal are right(or wrong) rate, the tranmission wont know what gear to downshift too, and you ending not going anywhere for 1-2s. Its only happened to me a couple times, but once was while trying to cross a highway and nearly got me hit.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is short desc of that ECM update.

"On certain 2010 CX-7 vehicles and 2009-2010 Mazda6 vehicles, a readiness status code, which is used for OBD-II Readiness Test, may be incorrectly set due to improper programming of the evaporative monitoring system."

I agree with you on the shifting, its my least favorite feature of car. For me it is mainly 3-1 downshift. When slowing down it just loves keeping in 3rd, so when I try to accelerate after slowing for stop it barely moves because its still in 3rd, and then because its barely moving I give it more gas, then it suddenly shoots forward after downshifting to 1st. I think my style of driving and this transmission just do not match : P

Also whats annoying(and dangerous) is fact that if you push pedal are right(or wrong) rate, the tranmission wont know what gear to downshift too, and you ending not going anywhere for 1-2s. Its only happened to me a couple times, but once was while trying to cross a highway and nearly got me hit.
This transmission really needs some tweaks to the programing. It would be nice if some after market company would come out with a programmer allowing you to switch between normal and sport.

Maybe some day?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
tommyz23
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing