Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been doing alot of reasearch and really want an ms6. last car i had was used and ended up bad due to transmission problems. nervous about getting another used car but i love this car and figure maybe a warranty will cover me in case of anything going wrong? i am looking for a white ms6 with the two tone leather interior. i love the two tone. white is my favorite exterior color with black right second. i found one at a dealer but they are asking 17995. this seems pretty steep as i have read that others have gotten it for a lot cheaper. it has 43k miles. what do you think the best i would get for it is with a warranty? do you think the ms6 is a good choice? it will be my first manual if i do end up getting it

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
prolly not gonna find many white with the two tone leather. They are pretty rare.
:D That and only look for 2006's if you want the wwp w/ the two tone. Wasn't made in 2007.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Keep searching. I have seen many selll for under that with lower miles. And with this car you want to find one as low as possible. The 06's have a stiffer clutch than the 07's. But nothing a clutch tsb wont take care of. This was my first clutch car too. You should have seen me leaving the dealer lot. lol in rush hour. I ended up having a clutch tsb at 47k. With 43k miles you have 7k miles left for the powertrain. What state do you live in?

·
Registered
548 Posts
you should hold out for better deal. i wanted white as well but couldn't pass up the deal i found. 2007 20k miles and $15500. there are quite a few around here for around 15-17. autotrader can be your friend. it's how i found my RX8 too.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
The 06's have a stiffer clutch than the 07's. But nothing a clutch tsb wont take care of. This was my first clutch car too. You should have seen me leaving the dealer lot
I wish I could have seen that, LOL ;). Seriously though, the 06' clutch without the TSB is a bitch. Only clutch I've ever had that I literally had to think about my shifts... just 1st and 2nd, but still. I didn't start to mod my car until I got the clutch TSB done, and I had to fight them for it. Now I'm out mucho dinero... but my car is pretty quick and fun as hell to drive :).

I ended up having a clutch tsb at 47k. With 43k miles you have 7k miles left for the powertrain. What state do you live in?
OP is going to have either

1) Find an 06' with a huge extended warranty and get the clutch TSB done or
2) Find an 06' with the clutch TSB already performed. (if he wants a wwp w/ two tone)

This is very possible. If you ask and find one that has had the TSB done, I would ask for documentation of such. Anyone of us could tell you in 2 seconds, but if you've never driven a clutch, it may be harder to tell. If you just buck a little and maybe stall it once or twice, the TSB has been done. If you knock your teeth out on the steer wheel, it has not, LOL.

I know some people are fine with the 'original' 06' clutch, but I sure wasn't. If it were me, and I know what I know now, I'd prefer to find the same car for $2K less and put the 07' clutch in.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
you should hold out for better deal. i wanted white as well but couldn't pass up the deal i found. 2007 20k miles and $15500. there are quite a few around here for around 15-17. autotrader can be your friend. it's how i found my RX8 too.
Is this the sport or the GT? I'm guessing sport. Nice find for a punk from Quincy either way.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep searching. I have seen many selll for under that with lower miles. And with this car you want to find one as low as possible. The 06's have a stiffer clutch than the 07's. But nothing a clutch tsb wont take care of. This was my first clutch car too. You should have seen me leaving the dealer lot. lol in rush hour. I ended up having a clutch tsb at 47k. With 43k miles you have 7k miles left for the powertrain. What state do you live in?
kansas but my parents live in texas and i happened to find a 06 white with two tone leather at a dealership there. possibly go down visit and drive the car back. might be good practice anyways :D

but ya i mean they have it listed as 21,900 but the guy said it was on sale for 17995. crazy right?
think they would go down to 15,000?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Practice? lol. I practiced mine for over a year and still couldn't get it down. I got mine for 21k w/ 16k miles. And this was over 3 years ago. I stole mine actually. There should be a few steals somewhere in between you and Texas.

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Practice? lol. I practiced mine for over a year and still couldn't get it down.
Ditto hear, and I first leaned a clutch back in 93' lol. You're gonna definitely want an 06' with the clutch TSB done, or not mind forking over ~$2k+ to get the 2007 clutch. Not sure of cost of changing the clutch from 06 to 07 version, or if there are aftermarket kits that are similar to the 07' clutch. I'm sure someone on here knows for sure? Anyone??

You CAN learn and deal with the 06' non-TSB clutch, but you won't like it, and you'll never get used to it. The good news is you could probably drive an 18-wheeler after that NP, lol. Could I drive it fine? yes. Did it sucks ass? yes. Did I enjoy driving my car? Not really, until I got the clutch TSB done. That's why I said if you can get an 06' for cheap, use your excess funds to upgrade the clutch. Problem is 06' wwps w/ 2 tone are pretty rare and sought after.

Reactions: PheOniX

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ditto hear, and I first leaned a clutch back in 93' lol. You're gonna definitely want an 06' with the clutch TSB done, or not mind forking over ~$2k+ to get the 2007 clutch. Not sure of cost of changing the clutch from 06 to 07 version, or if there are aftermarket kits that are similar to the 07' clutch. I'm sure someone on here knows for sure? Anyone??

You CAN learn and deal with the 06' non-TSB clutch, but you won't like it, and you'll never get used to it. The good news is you could probably drive an 18-wheeler after that NP, lol. Could I drive it fine? yes. Did it sucks ass? yes. Did I enjoy driving my car? Not really, until I got the clutch TSB done. That's why I said if you can get an 06' for cheap, use your excess funds to upgrade the clutch. Problem is 06' wwps w/ 2 tone are pretty rare and sought after.
okay okay lol. so learning to deal with the clutch is a naive. i understand now lol. id prob get the tsb then
and yeah i figured. only ones i remember seeing on autotrader were this one and one in ny. thats why im wondering if i should try and nab this one. plus it happens to be in the town where my parents live.. its a sign!!! :D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The clutch pedal adjustment makes it more driveable. I think the main reason the 06 clutch is worse is because the pedal sticks out so high. Lowering it to near the height of the brake pedal made it feel better. But still very catchy.

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
306 Posts
The clutch adjustment did help a lot...but I've gotten used to the heavy feel for 3 years+ and I still can't get a smooth shift consistently. lol

For what it's worth, I test drove a 2008 GTI manual days ago, and what a big difference...the clutch pedal has little to no feel, like stepping on mushed extra soft tofu.

When I got back to my Speed6, the effort to use the clutch is much more.

I do prefer my Speed6's clutch, as I can feel where the engagement point is.

Sorry for the long post but yeah, the adjustment makes the clutch more drivable.

On a positive note, whatever manual car you drive next, it will be easy peasy :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just bought a 2006 MS6 GT with 41k miles on it for $14,995 and that was with them giving me 3k for my old 6s that was barely running, so i am sure they added some of that back into the price...

I would say keep searching. You should easily find something for around 15-15.5. I would say having some power train warranty is a big deal as well. As soon as I got mine i took it up to my Mazda tech and had him look it over. Ends up going in for Transfer Case replacement and on my way in I notice 5th gear is not setting right so had him check it out as well. Turns out last owner beat the shit out of the trans and I am getting a new one of those as well...under warranty FTW. I would make sure the MS6 you buy doesnt have too many or any mods though as the warranty with the car COULD be useless if ya got mods already present...

Had a rental for over 2 weeks now as they are hella backed up and most likely got it for another 2 weeks. Ah free miles.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just bought a 2006 MS6 GT with 41k miles on it for $14,995 and that was with them giving me 3k for my old 6s that was barely running, so i am sure they added some of that back into the price...

I would say keep searching. You should easily find something for around 15-15.5. I would say having some power train warranty is a big deal as well. As soon as I got mine i took it up to my Mazda tech and had him look it over. Ends up going in for Transfer Case replacement and on my way in I notice 5th gear is not setting right so had him check it out as well. Turns out last owner beat the shit out of the trans and I am getting a new one of those as well...under warranty FTW. I would make sure the MS6 you buy doesnt have too many or any mods though as the warranty with the car COULD be useless if ya got mods already present...

Had a rental for over 2 weeks now as they are hella backed up and most likely got it for another 2 weeks. Ah free miles.
i would love to get them down to 15k with a warranty lol. not sure if they will tho
what kind of mods would i be looking for?

·
Registered
57 Posts
i've been doing alot of reasearch and really want an ms6. last car i had was used and ended up bad due to transmission problems. nervous about getting another used car but i love this car and figure maybe a warranty will cover me in case of anything going wrong? i am looking for a white ms6 with the two tone leather interior. i love the two tone. white is my favorite exterior color with black right second. i found one at a dealer but they are asking 17995. this seems pretty steep as i have read that others have gotten it for a lot cheaper. it has 43k miles. what do you think the best i would get for it is with a warranty? do you think the ms6 is a good choice? it will be my first manual if i do end up getting it
I am actually selling mine, it's an 06 GT, with every option except Nav. The only thing is it has 58K miles on it and a branded title because the last monkey who owned it cried lemon because he needed his powersteering pump replaced less than a month after he bought it. So the dealer bought it back from him. It is immaculate and because of the title issue I am selling it for $13,449. PM me if you have any questions or are at all interested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, totally noob question, what is the TSB? I just picked up a 06 MS6 two weeks ago, and this thing is not easy to drive.

·
Registered
261 Posts
man, I can't believe all the people who cry about this clutch. I have the 06 with original clutch, and love it. It took a bit to get used to, but it drives great. I think I may have ruined myself now though, cause I test drove a 335i the other day, and I thought the clutch felt too light and "weird"... stupid speed6 clutch ruining my perseption of how a clutch should feel I guess, ha.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah i have an 06 and never did the clutch TSB, I like the clutch and I feel the same way about BMWs, they feel wussy and light. The 6s clutch feels very mechanical, I like that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts