Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i spend some time on both Mazda3 and focus forums as my engine is a whore and will mount pretty much anything it seems.

well i guess one of the guys on the 3 forums is chatting with one of the editors of Sport Compact Car about a grudge match between the new MS3 and a tuner modded Mazda3. as the debate has seemed to be, why go with a speed when you can just put on a turbo and be faster. i've been trying to get something like that setup between the speed6 and myself for a while now, but it seems the AWD says, well that wouldn't be too fair. so i'm annoyed that now the 3 guys get a chance to do it....and be in the mag.

the MS3 has the same curb weight as me i found, so i'm gonna try to sneak into that damn competition somehow.

Sorry, i'm just annoyed cause i try all the time to play with speeds (ask my girlfriend), but can't seem to have any fun. i'm gonna annoy the hell out of this guy until he lets me at least on the track to play, even if it's not for the mag, just for bragging rights. bring the even to Buttonwillow and i'd be in heaven.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
i spend some time on both Mazda3 and focus forums as my engine is a whore and will mount pretty much anything it seems.

well i guess one of the guys on the 3 forums is chatting with one of the editors of Sport Compact Car about a grudge match between the new MS3 and a tuner modded Mazda3. as the debate has seemed to be, why go with a speed when you can just put on a turbo and be faster. i've been trying to get something like that setup between the speed6 and myself for a while now, but it seems the AWD says, well that wouldn't be too fair. so i'm annoyed that now the 3 guys get a chance to do it....and be in the mag.

the MS3 has the same curb weight as me i found, so i'm gonna try to sneak into that damn competition somehow.

Sorry, i'm just annoyed cause i try all the time to play with speeds (ask my girlfriend), but can't seem to have any fun. i'm gonna annoy the hell out of this guy until he lets me at least on the track to play, even if it's not for the mag, just for bragging rights. bring the even to Buttonwillow and i'd be in heaven. [/b]
That would be fun to see. You should clearly take both in a drag race, but the MS3 should come on top on a track with its LSD (unless the tuner 3 has a LSD, too).

Then again, for a MSRP of $22K, it would be nice to see a MS3 vs a proper Tuner 3 (not just turbo, but suspension, LSD (if available), built-up tranny, etc) total price comparison vs performance gains.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it were a drag race, i wouldn't bother....not a big fan personally. i like time trial and open track racing. there are no 2.3 6's or 3's that i know of that have put an lsd in yet, so that's the biggest thing the MS3 has on the tuners. BUT i can turn boost up to 20psi if i want and run the straights, where he (or she) could pull a bit in the corners.

i think i'd stand a good chance at Buttonwillow, as i've driven there more times than my wallets likes to talk about. i just want to see something happen, i really don't care if i can be faster (a lie of course) i just want a chance to see what it can do against the speed. crap, bring a speed6 for the day as well.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
if it were a drag race, i wouldn't bother....not a big fan personally. i like time trial and open track racing. there are no 2.3 6's or 3's that i know of that have put an lsd in yet, so that's the biggest thing the MS3 has on the tuners. BUT i can turn boost up to 20psi if i want and run the straights, where he (or she) could pull a bit in the corners.

i think i'd stand a good chance at Buttonwillow, as i've driven there more times than my wallets likes to talk about. i just want to see something happen, i really don't care if i can be faster (a lie of course) i just want a chance to see what it can do against the speed. crap, bring a speed6 for the day as well. [/b]
Well, I do not put a lot of stock into drag-racers either, but for comparisons sake, that IS important. But I do agree that a track-race is the most important factor.

After all is said and done, if a MSP6 were to show up, that car might come out on top with proper driving. I think we need the Stig on the track with every car and put an end to the debate.

·
Registered
915 Posts
SCC would be lucky to have you in it's pages, good luck and hope to see you in there!

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a few of us got in the mag a couple years back....just a bit has changed since then you might say.

i emailed him this morning, we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not in stock form really, there are HiBoost guys running over 300hp on the 3 right now, all they'd need is a dif and they'd be hard to beat.

i heard back from SCC today, and not looking good for me. they are looking forward to the MS3 (not msp 3) battle, as they get one for a test car in a couple months. but they said they would more likely get a cobalt out there than a MS6 as there is no market for the speed6. i'm not giving up though.

·
Registered
531 Posts
not in stock form really, there are HiBoost guys running over 300hp on the 3 right now, all they'd need is a dif and they'd be hard to beat.

[/b]

Well all that hp and no tq management in a fwd? I see lots and lots of wheelspin. Reading the many reviews that are trickling in right now, it's funny to see the very thing many people complained about (torque management in the lower gears)be the very thing that's mostly reponsible for the msp3's better than expected handling. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there is no event yet. they are talking about setting it up when SCC gets the MS3 as their project car in a couple months.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Well, 300whp isn't going to matter if you're doing a one wheel peel out of each turn. I guess it'll depend a whole lot on the track and how curvy it is.

At least in the Mazda6, an LSD is not important with track tires and a big rear sway. I'm not sure if the '3 is as fortunate, so I think a '6 could best the Mazdaspeed3. It certainly would be no blowout. Tea's larger wheelbase and better suspension geometry will give him a slight advantage in certain spots, and overall his car is just as light.

The winner will probably come down to either the best driver or, if the same person is driving each, the car that the driver feels most comfortable driving. The Speed may have the advantage here due to its firmer bushings and whatnot, but my guess is its suspension will be too soft for real track use (esp on track tires). Will SCC enforce equal tires on all cars?

However, regardless of the outcome, I think buying a Mazdaspeed is a no-brainer. The things are cheap and come with a warranty. They're built much stronger, including a beefier tranny, axles, and engine internals. That gives the car more worry-free potential. There's no way you could justify buying a base '3 and modifying it when the Speed is out there.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i think i'd get a speed3 for sure if there was a choice at this point. i'd pimp it out like i did my car and get as much aftermarket as possible, but the factory turbo and lsd is always a nice place to start.

we'll see what happens now. looks like my tranny "might" happen sooner than expected, not sure yet. not that that changes their mind, but hey, who knows. think i'll be the first atx to mtx swap for either car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts