Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on Saturday night, heading out for the evening. I was on a 4-lane road, 2 lanes each way and speed limit 40mph, in the right lane. I see a car making a left turn from the lane next to me, and 2 cars behind that vehicle. Well the last car's going kinda fast, and it doesn't look like she's gonna stop. All of a sudden she flips a turn signal and comes over almost into the side of my car! I swerve to the right quickly (while talking on the cell phone too.. I know tsk tsk). Of course when I swerved to the right, there's a freaking TELEPHONE POLE right in front of me! I swerved hard back to the left, hearing the tires skidding under me. I didn't spin out or anything. Remarkably, I was able to stay in my lane and avoid hitting not only the car that cut into me, but the 2 cars in front of her. It all happened so quickly, I didn't realize what could have happened until I thought about it.

So the car that cut into me starts following me, flashing lights. I thought maybe she did clip me and I didn't realize it, so I stop (it's a young girl driving). She comes up next to me and apologizes all over herself. I was totally speechless at this point. This is when I realized she had a child in an infant seat on the side I would have slammed into. She had a Nissan Sentra. My heart dropped, and I told her it was ok that mistakes happen and went on.

I couldn't help thinking what would have happened had I been in a less agile vehicle. I would have probably either gotten hit, hit the pole, or caused at least a 3-vehicle accident with other cars following behind. I know the 6 is a safe car, but active safety is definitely a more important safety feature to have.

I also will never talk on the cell phone and drive again either after this.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
This is why you need to drive a manual......If you were doing that, your dumb ass wouldn't have been on the cell phone :p LOL

Good Move there, glad youa re okay...and no one was hurt, but becareful out there man.

·
Registered
649 Posts
This is why you need to drive a manual......If you were doing that, your dumb ass wouldn't have been on the cell phone :p LOL

Good Move there, glad youa re okay...and no one was hurt, but becareful out there man.
[/b]

Haha i'm ready for the flaming, but i have driven more than once using my cell phone. I usually throw it to the passenger but when i'm driving by myself and it's something i have to take, i will answer it but i definitely don't stay on it long. The new cell has a speaker phone which helps a lot hahahah.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see the point about the cell phone, and I usually put it on speaker and attach it to the visor but I had just gotten in the car and also gotten the call (this was 5 blocks from my house). I will definitely do that from now on. I thought it was pretty good on my part that I avoided an accident due to someone else's carelessness even though I was on the phone.

I didn't get her number, she wasn't hot to me at all. Plus she had a crumb snatcher.. :p

·
Registered
508 Posts
I see the point about the cell phone, and I usually put it on speaker and attach it to the visor but I had just gotten in the car and also gotten the call (this was 5 blocks from my house). I will definitely do that from now on. I thought it was pretty good on my part that I avoided an accident due to someone else's carelessness even though I was on the phone.

I didn't get her number, she wasn't hot to me at all. Plus she had a crumb snatcher.. :p
[/b]
Yea...it was pretty good you avoided the accident, but next time you might not be so lucky dude, :nono: Confidence in your 6 is great, I'm all for that, but over confidence will lead to accidents thinking your the best driver in the world and that isn't good. Im glad you guys made it out ok, because yes, it could have been much worse. :yesnod:

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea...it was pretty good you avoided the accident, but next time you might not be so lucky dude, :nono: Confidence in your 6 is great, I'm all for that, but over confidence will lead to accidents thinking your the best driver in the world and that isn't good. Im glad you guys made it out ok, because yes, it could have been much worse. :yesnod:
[/b]
Oh I know I was definitely lucky. I've also taken defensive driving classes, but I'm never unsafe on purpose even though I'm an extremely confident driver (read: the guys on crotch rockets going 120 down the damn road!). I'm just glad I had a car that could handle as well and help me avoid an accident. I know for sure if had still been driving my PT Cruiser (the car before this one), I'd be car shopping right now because I surely would have hit the pole or something else.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yah, I use my cell while driving sometimes too. But usually I pull over into a parking lot, or on the side of the road if I know the call might be awhile. If it's short and sweet, like to say "Be there in 5 minutes." then I'm all over that.

They do say that talking on a cell phone while driving is worse than driving drunk. (On a handheld phone.)

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I don't call people on my cell when driving, but I answer calls and try to finish the call as soon as possible, and if I can't I just say I'll call them back later. I can't do that in the 6 though, I still haven't figured out how to shift gears and talk on the phone at the same time, I only have 2 hands.

·
Registered
153 Posts
tweak your head to the left or right to hold your phone and shift w/ your hand. i've only done this a few times myself and it's a bitch plus the neck cramp isn't worth it!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hypothetical I've always wondered about:

You swerve and hit the telephone pole. The two cars never touch. Is she at fault? Can you make her pay for an accident she caused?

What if you hit the pole and she didn't stop and you had no idea who caused the accident, is it called a "hit and run" even though she didn't touch you? Are you screwed and have to pay for the damage out of pocket?

In these cases it makes me wonder, do you choose to hit the pole and avoid the other car completely, or do you at least swipe the other car so "someone" other than you is at fault.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i drive a manual and talk on the phone at the same time... just get an earpiece!

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's great to hear that you made it out of the situation safely. In my three months of owning my 6 so far, I've experienced several occasions that displayed its gracefulness on the road. I'm not trying to come off overly confident or anything, but I must say that it's very easy to avoid accidents and make other last-minute maneuvers in the 6. The car sticks to the road very well. However, avoiding a speeding ticket is still questionable due to the car's fantastic gearing for highway traveling. I don't have a record yet, but it's like my car wants me to get a ticket.

·
Registered
145 Posts
even with the handsfree/bluetooth/earpiece... talking on the phone while driving is quite dangerous... cos your mind is not 100% focused on the road which might also lead to accidents.... :(

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

[/b]
well not necessarily true, i have talked on my cell phone while driving a manual plenty of times. it's just a matter of how well you mastered the technique... and no i didn't cheat with one of those ear pieces either haha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts