Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 6i ATX...with the airbox mod+K&N filter...and its come time that I'm looking for more power...(looking to beat some Scion T.C.'s, arch nemesis of the 6i...legitly of course)...I'm going to be getting headers, either the GTSPEC ones or the F2 Headers if they come out about the time I'm planning to get the parts, plus a new mid pipe. trouble is, I'm wondering if thats enough to take the T.C. to town. So I'm thinking "that airbox mod isn't gonna cut it anymore, I need a real intake" but I don't want to drop 600 for the CP-E...option 2 is, get one of the big three (AEM, Injen, or K&N) and get a scanner...thing is, I've never used one before so I wouldn't even know where to stick it....I need an idiot proof scanner.

I'm looking at these AutoXray scanners and the two cheapest ones that I've seen are

Auto X-Ray Code Scout 1500 for about $130+ and the AutoXray Code Scout 700
Diagnostic Code Scanner for OBDII for about $77...now will these two be able to effectively locate check engine code and problems and eliminate/reset them...(I assume the instructions will tell me how, so I won't bother asking about operations, but where, in general do you hook these up?) also, will I be constanly having to reset check engine lights like every 5-10 miles?...is this an effective alternative to the CP-E (thats horribly priced gouged) are these considered good scanners, if not what is, remember these words "easy to use" and "idiot proof". also, will I need to know all the codes to know what the numbers the scanner is spewing out mean? I think there's a thread about that around here. Here's to making power :cheers: (P.S.: will the the 03-04 AEM and Injen kits work on an '05?)

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
intakes should all work for 03-05, though the connector on the intake pipe has changed, so some extra tube/parts might need to be had from you local parts store (like $5 if that).

i have never seen the K&N for the 6i, but that one and the mazdaspeed should never have an issue with a CEL...they don't create as much power, but it's a nice guarantee if you are worried about the code.

most scanners can be learned in the span of 5min or less also, so no worry there either.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
intakes should all work for 03-05, though the connector on the intake pipe has changed, so some extra tube/parts might need to be had from you local parts store (like $5 if that).

i have never seen the K&N for the 6i, but that one and the mazdaspeed should never have an issue with a CEL...they don't create as much power, but it's a nice guarantee if you are worried about the code.

most scanners can be learned in the span of 5min or less also, so no worry there either.
[/b]
yeah, but I've also seen alot of other problems that are associated with Cold Air Intakes other than CEL. Like rough idles, stalls, problems with unnplugged hoses and a whole other bunch of "God, take me now" issues, debating whether its worth the power gains...what is the easiest to install intake, with the least amount of after install issues and makes decent power...(though the Mazdaspeed intake is made for the MTX, other than warranty issues, which some dealers wouldn't even care about cause some don't even care about AEM or K&N intakes, would it still be compatible with an ATX...its a cold air unit, right?) EDIT: I just heard abot the "Cordova Motorsports" Aftermartket throttle body for the 2.3I engine, is this a trustworthy legit company? and is the throttle body a direct bolt on, or does it need fabrication to fit? worth the gains?, compatible with intakes? how easy or mind blowingly difficult to install?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts