Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done installing my Scangauge II in the sunglass holder. I never put sunglasses in the sunglass holder so I thought it was the best place for this neat toy. Also, I don't need to see the Scangauge at all times, so I'm not worried about it not being quite as visible up there. I did, however, want to be able to tuck it away out of sight when not in use. The ashtray would also be a great place for it, but that's occupied with my Sirius radio and Parrot Bluetooth control screen. So, sunglass holder it is, and I'm satisfied.

1. Remove Sunglass holder assembly, if you don't know how there are great instructions in the owner's manual. Basically, remove two torx screws, then put a butterknife or something similar in the sides of the assembly and pop out the metal clips. Be careful not to rip the headliner though.

2. Remove the door to the sunglass holder. This is simply a peg-in-hole deal. It basically just pops out with a little force, and removal of a small spring.

3. Cut away part of the rubber lining inside the sunglass lid with an Exacto knife. I just held the gauge in place, and cut around the sides of it. I positioned it a bit towards the left side of the door, since that would be closer to the driver's seat, also that will leave enough room to plug in the wire on the right side.

4. Using double-sided foam mounting tape, mount the Scangauge in place. Stick it down firmly and straight.

5. Drill a hole through the top of the sunglass holder assembly, near the right screw hole. Dremel it large enough to fit the wire through. Feed the wire through into the sunglass lid.

6. Plug the wire into the Scangauge.

7. Replace the assembly into the headliner in the car, and run the wire under the headliner and let it hang out against the windshield.

8. Remove the a-pillar, it's clipped in place and pops out with some convincing. Remove the driver's side door sill, the fusebox cover and pull off the weatherstripping far enough to remove the a-pillar completely.

9. Tuck the wire under the headliner and down the a-pillar tucked behind the clips and such that hold the plastic a-pillar cover in place (I have no curtain airbags).

10. Run the wire underneath the weatherstripping and around the edge of the dash, by the fusebox.

11. Unclip the OBD-II plug on the car from its stock location.

12. Plug the Scangauge into the OBD-II plug, and use a ziptie to re-mount it in such a way that it won't interfere with your feet.

13. Replace everything you removed.

I haven't had a chance to really play with the gauge, but it works well in the sunglass holder. Just be careful how much slack you leave in the wire so the door can open and close freely. I had to buy a coupler and use another Ethernet cable to give it enough length to reach all the way up there, but it works with no issues.

Questions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
thanks! exactly what i want to do.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Looks good. It's nice that you are able to close it completely and hide it away if you want to.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good jorb on the write up! Clean install to boot! Dan, you are the man. :thumbup:
[/b]
Nothing more satisfying than a jorb well done :nana: Thanks Ray. It's a neat little toy, and will be useful for reading CEL's on the fly.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
First of all, thanks for this info of the "how-to".

However, I would really like to get your help on this topic regards to the sunglass holder. See, in my OZ spec Speed6, it doens't have the sun-glass holder at all as it only comes with the interior light assembly. Now since I really like the very similar setup of sun-glass provision in my Mazda MPV and I use it as its intended purpose and I find it is really useful to store the sunglass. So my question is if you can prodvide any scan of your manual which illustrates how the assembly is fitted? So that I can compare if it will fit in my Oz spec car. If it does, then hopefully I can source one from The State to put it into mine.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
First of all, thanks for this info of the "how-to".

However, I would really like to get your help on this topic regards to the sunglass holder. See, in my OZ spec Speed6, it doens't have the sun-glass holder at all as it only comes with the interior light assembly. Now since I really like the very similar setup of sun-glass provision in my Mazda MPV and I use it as its intended purpose and I find it is really useful to store the sunglass. So my question is if you can prodvide any scan of your manual which illustrates how the assembly is fitted? So that I can compare if it will fit in my Oz spec car. If it does, then hopefully I can source one from The State to put it into mine.

Thanks in advance.
[/b]
It just clips in like your current assembly. You could certainly make it fit. You would just need to enlarge the hole in the headliner to the correct size.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Thanks Donny for the info. Now I am going to locate somewhere to get this little gudget to play with. Wonder any recommendation from you for places to shop from? Perhaps PM me if you wouldn't mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
wat do u mean by this step doesnt it just plug into that port located under the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
wat do u mean by this step doesnt it just plug into that port located under the steering wheel.
[/b]
Yes, you can leave it in that spot, but it's also possible to unclip it from the dash so you can put it up further up under the dash, to keep the wires from getting in the way.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes, you can leave it in that spot, but it's also possible to unclip it from the dash so you can put it up further up under the dash, to keep the wires from getting in the way.
[/b]
Don't forget to put it back in the correct place when you need an emissions test or have to take the vehicle in for service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts