Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been burning my eyeballs out reading and watching reviews trying to decide which scanner tool covers the 2014 Mazda 6. For example the Autel MK808 according to Autel's website only covers the Mazda 6 up to 2010 which is really odd considering it's advanced functions.
Which scan tool uses most or all of that tool's functionality for the 2014 Mazda 6?
I'm also considering the Foxwell NT680 Pro, 650 Elite and iCarsoft CR Pro.
I don't want to waste my money on an advanced scanner if that scanner excludes many functions on my car.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,585 Posts
@Despotes Hello. I suppose the question is what do you need your scanner to do?
For my purposes: engine codes, pending codes, freeze frame, reset, and live data, the OBDLink LX Bluetooth works well. I have used it for years and with several different vehicles. It integrates with my phone so I don't have to pay for an extra screen. It is small so I can keep it in the glove box. If you need WiFi they have one enabled for that if you want to use a laptop to view graphs and Sine curves.
Link the above adapter with FORScan and you should be covered well.
(follow the imbeded links above for more)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Obdlink-MX and Forscan. Software is free for most requirements. OBDLink-MX has the MSCAN access which you DEFINITELY WANT for these cars.

Note that this combination will do real-time data logging which if you're trying to track something down is a whole lot more useful than just pulling codes.

·
Registered
2016 6
455 Posts
I have an Autel Autolink AL319 and I am very happy with this, for around $25 I think it's a great deal. Reads a large amount of live data pids and scans and reads trans and engine codes very quickly. It works with all obd2 vehicles although the amount of pids that can be utilized differs per vehicle. It clears codes as well but cannot make commands which is unfortunate but for a cheap pocket scanner it's super easy to use and I love it.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I have this ScanGauge2.

It seems to be expensive compared to others. It has an edit and/or command function but I haven't explored it yet. The only thing you won't like here is that you have to manually enter the codes for the transmission fluid temperature, in order for it to be displayed. This is only for Mazda. For other cars, I think it will automatically read the transmission fluid temperature.

You can also clear codes and record your 0-100 kph (0-60 mph). It has other functions and can display fuel consumption, boost, voltage, and others that I still don't understand the purpose.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,585 Posts
I have this ScanGauge2.

[/URL]

It seems to be expensive compared to others. It has an edit and/or command function but I haven't explored it yet. The only thing you won't like here is that you have to manually enter the codes for the transmission fluid temperature, in order for it to be displayed. This is only for Mazda. For other cars, I think it will automatically read the transmission fluid temperature.

You can also clear codes and record your 0-100 kph (0-60 mph). It has other functions and can display fuel consumption, boost, voltage, and others that I still don't understand the purpose.
I love my little scangauge2, (special thanks to @ydrone who gifted it to me)
20210309_083406.jpg

I can see the benefits of the OBDLink MX+ especially how it integrates with FORScan (recommended on their page) for CAN. @TalonTsi90 & @tickerguy have brought the differences to my attention and I have also upgraded (just now) to the MX+. The important bit was how the MX+ integrates with iPhone/Andriod/PC.

If there is anyone who needs a gently used OBDLink LX I have one for sale.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I love my little scangauge2, (special thanks to @ydrone who gifted it to me)
View attachment 242260

I can see the benefits of the OBDLink MX+ especially how it integrates with FORScan (recommended on their page) for CAN. @TalonTsi90 & @tickerguy have brought the differences to my attention and I have also upgraded (just now) to the MX+. The important bit was how the MX+ integrates with iPhone/Andriod/PC.

If there is anyone who needs a gently used OBDLink LX I have one for sale.
Hi!

I'd like to know what are the parameters you prefer displayed. I can see voltage and cooling water temperature but I couldn't see the other two.

I also have voltage and water temperature displayed, although I find the water temperature redundant because I have it displayed on my dashboard through a "digital analog needle". And so I discovered that the needle does not correspond to my estimated value as compared to what ScanGauge2 is showing.

I have also chosen "boost" for the T/C but I don't know what benefits I can get from knowing the numbers. The transmission fluid temperature should be helpful when changing fluid and checking the level.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,585 Posts
Hi!

I'd like to know what are the parameters you prefer displayed. I can see voltage and cooling water temperature but I couldn't see the other two.

I also have voltage and water temperature displayed

I discovered that the needle does not correspond to my estimated value as compared to what ScanGauge2 is showing.

The transmission fluid temperature should be helpful when changing fluid and checking the level.
Hey Archer, I have [water temp] [transmission fluid temp] [intake air temp] [voltage]
I would like to have [oil pressure] [oil temp] but especially pressure.
My water temp needle will be at it's warmed up position but will show 180°F instead of 220°F where it is when warm.

I noticed your trans temp at 178°. How high does it usually get?
Mine will go into the 170°+ range when it's hot outside but my wagon came equipped with a little trans cooler. I have noticed when the trans temp is in the 140-160 range my shifting is quite crisp and responsive. I may upgrade my cooler a bit.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Hey Archer, I have [water temp] [transmission fluid temp] [intake air temp] [voltage]
I would like to have [oil pressure] [oil temp] but especially pressure.
My water temp needle will be at it's warmed up position but will show 180°F instead of 220°F where it is when warm.

I noticed your trans temp at 178°. How high does it usually get?
Mine will go into the 170°+ range when it's hot outside but my wagon came equipped with a little trans cooler. I have noticed when the trans temp is in the 140-160 range my shifting is quite crisp and responsive. I may upgrade my cooler a bit.

I also wanted [oil pressure] to be displayed and someone suggested that I install it. I didn't do it because that will be another gauge, a mechanical one. In the guide I've read, you insert the wire (sensor) in the engine. The other end of the wire is connected to the pressure gauge.

I reached 198 °F at 100 kph (60 mph). I got 205 °F or something when I was running around 120-130 kph. A couple of years ago, I was able to run at 240 kph for about 5 minutes or more. However, I don't have yet the ScanGauge2 so I don't know what temperature I reached. Once I have the opportunity to do it again, I'll post the result.

EDIT: cooling water temperature is in Celsius.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,585 Posts
I also wanted [oil pressure] to be displayed and someone suggested that I install it. I didn't do it because that will be another gauge, a mechanical one. In the guide I've read, you insert the wire (sensor) in the engine. The other end of the wire is connected to the pressure gauge.

I reached 198 °F at 100 kph (60 mph). I got 205 °F or something when I was running around 120-130 kph. A couple of years ago, I was able to run at 240 kph for about 5 minutes or more. However, I don't have yet the ScanGauge2 so I don't know what temperature I reached. Once I have the opportunity to do it again, I'll post the result.

EDIT: cooling water temperature is in Celsius.
Have you thought about installing a transmission cooler? They are quite inexpensive and fairly easy to install. Temperature is the killer of automatic transmissions and it may help stretch the lifespan.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Have you thought about installing a transmission cooler? They are quite inexpensive and fairly easy to install. Temperature is the killer of automatic transmissions and it may help stretch the lifespan.
Not sure what the turbodiesel stock transmission cooler arrangement is... but if it is like the gaspot, then it's not a lot of fun to add-in an auxilary ATF cooler. The stock arrangement on the SkyActiv-AT, for the gasoline Skyactiv engines has a close-coupled water-cooled heat exchanger that bolts to the transaxle case... and a thick aluminum plate that is edge-drilled would have to be fabricated, added-on, in order to bring ATF to a conventional air-to-fluid cooler, placed in front of the AC condenser.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Thank you, I'll ask our local "Mazda Google Guy" if he's done it with his car. That guy is active in the Mazda 3 forum and I think his handle is "sanity" or something like that.

Not sure what the turbodiesel stock transmission cooler arrangement is... but if it is like the gaspot, then it's not a lot of fun to add-in an auxilary ATF cooler. The stock arrangement on the SkyActiv-AT, for the gasoline Skyactiv engines has a close-coupled water-cooled heat exchanger that bolts to the transaxle case... and a thick aluminum plate that is edge-drilled would have to be fabricated, added-on, in order to bring ATF to a conventional air-to-fluid cooler, placed in front of the AC condenser.

I haven't checked or rather, I didn't bother to check. In our CR-V 98, the transmission fluid is being cooled through the radiator. I am now assuming that this is the same with Mazda.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,585 Posts
Yikes. Maybe it will just be more frequent oil changes..
It's like back when I got really good at tuning and synching carburetors and then everyone moves to fuel injection....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Yikes. Maybe it will just be more frequent oil changes..
It's like back when I got really good at tuning and synching carburetors and then everyone moves to fuel injection....:rolleyes:
I did mine at 50,000 km and I intend to do it at that interval. Is that a reasonable time? I only did a drain and refill and I plan on dropping the pan at 100,000 km.

Checking the oil is such a hassle! I mean, I have to remove first the air filter and some screws before I can access the dipstick

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,585 Posts
I did mine at 50,000 km and I intend to do it at that interval. Is that a reasonable time? I only did a drain and refill and I plan on dropping the pan at 100,000 km.

Checking the oil is such a hassle! I mean, I have to remove first the air filter and some screws before I can access the dipstick
That sounds very reasonable. Well done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts