Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching 8 Simple Rules on ABC 7 around 8:00 tonight (yes yes, I was watching Kaley Cuoco) and I saw a new Mazda 6 commercial. They quoted a lot of auto magazines regarding the 6i, in particular Car and Driver.

Anyway, at the end of the commercial they showed a possible payment plan for a 6i. Seems to me Mazda is really trying to push the 6i to customers and get rid of all the excess ones.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: Saw a new 6 commercial...

Lots are full of 6i Autos while people who want a V6 have to wait 8 weeks or are told by the dealer none are available.

Could be one of the reasons for this QUOTE
HUGHES: MAZDA SALES LED TO FIRING

Charlie Hughes, former president of Mazda’s North American operations, says he was fired last week by Ford because Mazda’s sales have been slower than expected under his tenure. Hughes, formerly the chief of Land Rover North America, had joined Mazda in the fall of 2000 as Ford and Mazda initiated yet another remake of the Japanese brand. The introduction of key products like the Mazda6 sedan were supposed to turn around the division’s struggling sales — but 2002 sales were off more than four percent. Ford has named Mazda exec John Mandel as acting president in Hughes’ wake.[/b]

·
Registered
315 Posts

Well, Ford should take some blame themselves. If the 6 were available in the configuration wanted, namely the V6 5 spd., that 4% could have been offset and may be in the black instead of red. Maybe Charlie is to blame for the lack of V6 5 spds.?
If so, then Mr. Mandel better look closely at why sales have slowed.
You don't come out with a sport sport-sedan that is actually fun to drive and expect not to have a bigger than normal demand for manual versions. Also, this is the US, like it or not, people here like bigger engines. People interested in Mazda seem to be more driver oriented than Honda and Toyota customers. Honda customers are concerned about fuel economy and not having to look under the hood, thus they could care less about performance or performance driving as a whole.
The Mazda brand is associated with performance such as Miata, RX7, Mazdaspeed, Protege.

They've got new customers and a surge of interest in this new car and the upcoming RX8. I hope they don't lose the momentum that has built up.

Tome

·
Registered
174 Posts

Yeah, I saw that same ad, later last night on ESPN or CBS. Of course they're pushing the lease deal on the 6i because it's cheaper. They're showing the lowest numbers to get you in to the dealer. But once you're in, if you decide you want the more expensive 6s, you think they'll complain? :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Replying to Topic 'S

From an earlier post of mine in another thread:

I was originally getting an (edit: dodge) SRT-4 to replace my 2000 neon es. Then I saw the first 6 commercial...the one with the tachometer revving up past 6000 that only said "coming soon". Boy did that advert ever catch my attention.

Then they just kept coming, the Zoom Zoom ads, the two page spreads in Wired magazine showing the 5 speed manual on the first page and the car on the next. What the hell did they expect? Marketing took off in one direction, and forgot to tell manufacturing what to build. My prediction: 6i with automatic will be going for MSRP less $2,500 come October. And 6s with 5 speed manual will still take two months to get in stock.[/b]

It's funny how they hyped up the car as a sports sedan and made everyone want a V6 5 speed manny, and then they didn't build any.
I still stick to my predicition above.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Saw a new 6 commercial...'

Marketing took off in one direction, and forgot to tell manufacturing what to build. My prediction: 6i with automatic will be going for MSRP less $2,500 come October. And 6s with 5 speed manual will still take two months to get in stock.[/b]
Purely for fun, I'll make a wager with you that when Spring hits, the non-enthusiast types finally come out of hibernation and the AT starts moving in much greater numbers. Plus, no MT backlog will exist (or have existed for some time) by October.

There's no way they'll go 8 months with a demand backlog of 60 days. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
652 Posts

Well, I am still waiting on my Silver 6s Sport Package, Bose Package, Manual 5 speed.

First week in April is what I was told four weeks ago.

I email Mazda with the VIN and they said perhaps the last wek of March.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Saw a new 6 commercial...'

I won't be buying a Mazda 6 unless/until I can get a V-6 model with stability control and rear seat head restraints, which are currently unavailable on the U.S. models.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

I don't mind the 4. There'll be loads more aftermarket for the 4 anyways. Even though I'm only getting an HID kit first year. lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts