Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
These are some awesome responses! Keep it going!
Themes:
Manual Transmission
Newer Transmission (8-speed)
Eliminate the 6 (due to market shift) in lieu of CUV/SUV

Personally I don't want a CUV/SUV unless it's a coupe inspired performance-oriented like the BMW X6, and even then, I'm not stoked about getting one. That would mean I'd likely have to move on up and out to a Genesis G70 or Tesla 3. IF there is no hybrid 6 coming, I'll drive my 2014 till the wheels fall off, and I can't get any more parts for it (unless someone comes out with an electric drivetrain conversion).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don’t think wagons and manuals transmissions will sell in the US.

Literally the only reason Subaru gets away with it with the outback is because it's the most SUV-looking wagon on the planet, has standard AWD, and has ground clearance that puts many CUVs to shame. You don't see the word 'wagon' anywhere on Subaru's website.

I personally think the best solution for the sedan is to go completely fastback and have a hatch like the Stinger, Arteon, A5, A7, Model S, etc. With cars like the new Accord and the upcoming 2021 Optima, the side profiles already look like a fastback. It might require a price increase, but it would allow you to keep the style of a sedan, but give you the perceived storage space of a CUV. That coupled with AWD could sustain a keep healthy sedan market.

Other than that, I don't think there is much else that can be done. Even I have a hard time hating on the new RAV4 Hybrid from the average-joe-who's-going-to-putter-around-town perspective: Easy entry/exit, the 'prestige' of owning an SUV, avalon-levels of passenger space, the hatch, the sedan-like fuel economy, and it doesn't cost a fortune over the gas model.

I don't think the sedan will go the way of the wagon though. Also, when the current generation of grade schoolers grow up, they are going to hate the CUV as it's now the current soccer mom mobile. As evidenced by the fact that in a recent cars.com commercial, they show the soccer mom wanting MDX rather the Pacifica minivan.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Wagons and Manual transmissions don't sell in the US. Get over it already.
Yeah, no one's allowed to talk about the cars they want to see sold in the US unless you approve of it.

The internet is where people share their tastes and opinions. "Get over it already." (Oh, and whatever you do, don't Google "Civic Type R" or "Shelby GT350.")

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, no one's allowed to talk about the cars they want to see sold in the US unless you approve of it.

The internet is where people share their tastes and opinions. "Get over it already." (Oh, and whatever you do, don't Google "Civic Type R" or "Shelby GT350.")
Totally missed the point of my post and point of this thread. I like wagons, but we’re discussing about what to tell Mazda that will bring back sales, not a wishlist.

Using very specific versions of vehicles(Type R and a GT350, really?) that the vast majority of population is never going to buy to argue that bringing back the manual would help the sedan market, specifically the Mazda6, is intellectually dishonest.

We’re talking about a family sedan here. Giving Mazda advice purely based on an enthusiast mindset and point of view would not work.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Totally missed the point of my post and point of this thread. I like wagons, but we’re discussing about what to tell Mazda that will bring back sales, not a wishlist.

Using very specific versions of vehicles(Type R and a GT350, really?) that the vast majority of population is never going to buy to argue that bringing back the manual would help the sedan market, specifically the Mazda6, is intellectually dishonest.

We’re talking about a family sedan here. Giving Mazda advice purely based on an enthusiast mindset and point of view would not work.
Perhaps I misunderstood, I apologize. If we're talking about cars in general, which I thought you were, then as long as ICE vehicles are around, there will be a small handful of manual cars being bought and sold.

As for the 6 specifically, I agree wholeheartedly, the stick (or the wagon version for that matter) is never coming back to the States, ever. Mazda has the Miata for the purists, and that's gonna be it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Perhaps I misunderstood, I apologize. If we're talking about cars in general, which I thought you were, then as long as ICE vehicles are around, there will be a small handful of manual cars being bought and sold.

As for the 6 specifically, I agree wholeheartedly, the stick (or the wagon version for that matter) is never coming back to the States, ever. Mazda has the Miata for the purists, and that's gonna be it.
I also apologize for that statement, as it was not appropriate. I meant it to be ‘spirited’, but not come across in a manner than would derail the conversation or cause anger. I edited it to be more clear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why do you want an electric car? The batteries do more harm to the environment than any IC motor ever will.
This has been proven to be untrue many, many times. Electrics aren't as clean as the tree huggers would make you believe but they are no where near as bad as IC cars.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
This has been proven to be untrue many, many times. Electrics aren't as clean as the tree huggers would make you believe but they are no where near as bad as IC cars.
Have you seen the nickel mines? Do you know that they are so harmful to the environment, the batteries cant be manufactured in the US. But, how many millions of "IC cars" are done here every year?

·
Registered
13 Posts
As we have all heard the news about slumping sales for the Mazda6 (New Mazda6 sales figures plunging), and the Sedan Market in general, I don't fully buy it, because the Camry and the Accord are EVERYWHERE, and BMW & Mercedes still bank on them. SO, as "super-fans" what should we tell Mazda to do to improve sales?
1ST IT WOULD BE NICE TO NOT HAVE EVERY OTHER PART FOR THESE THINGS GO ON NATIONAL BACK ORDER, GUESS THE WAY OVERPAID SUITS THINK MAZDA'S DON'T GET IN WRECKS, THE CYLINDER DEACTIVATION ENGINE IS AS BAD AS THE 4 6 8 ENG. CADILLAC HAD. WE HAVE 3 ENGINES WE NEED AND OF COURSE THERE ON BACKORDER

21 - 33 of 33 Posts